Metal rattle sound from suspension area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptortrav001

Reaction score
My rattle ended up being 2 things...1st was the driver sway bar end link. While on the truck there appeared to be no play or wear at all on them and felt solid. I took them both off and found that both sides had no resistance in the joint and felt very loose. I also found the driver-side link had the smallest amount of play in the joint and if I did a push/pull type movement while in your hand you could feel an ever so slight "click" in the joint. It honestly felt too small to be that big of a deal but ends links should have zero play so I replaced them with OEM parts and got a 90% improvement in my rattle. The last 10% was small pea gravel-sized rocks that managed to work their way between the skid plates and the frame. After removing, cleaning, and retorquing the skid plates, she is as quiet as a new truck!

970rap

Reaction score
@Typr04 did this ever get resolved? I’m pretty sure I have the exact same sound coming from my front driver’s side wheel/suspension area.

OP
OP
Typr04

Typr04

Reaction score
@Typr04 did this ever get resolved? I’m pretty sure I have the exact same sound coming from my front driver’s side wheel/suspension area.
Nope. Dealer replaced front axles and wheel bearings, Sway bar end links And removed and lubed brake calipers, pads and the caliper pin. They even adjusted the two piece rims? Also tightened and sound proofed the brake cables. All under warranty but it’s still there. I personally think it’s something in the brakes as it doesn’t make the sound if I’m on the brakes. No matter how slight I’m pressing them. They also took every skid plate off to get rid of gravel. And it’s still there. I was then told to just turn my music up louder as they won’t be looking at it anymore because they cannot figure it out. And engine fixed twice for the phasers. So Atleast I got a whole new front end essentially for free. One day I will take the front left brake caliper off and test it myself with no brakes at all (in a safe location, maybe).

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my gen2 also has some clanging noises from the outer rack bushing/steering rack. if you wiggle the inner tie rod up and down its easily heard...

Johan

Reaction score
I just replaced my sway bar end links and all my clunk is gone as well, front actually feels tighter as well. Both links had very little resistance in them compared to the new ones, took 20 minutes to install. Id def suggest doing this if you have any suspect clunk.