Major Problems on Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boomo

Reaction score
I am just tossing this out there, has anyone had problems once you added a new intercooler and dual catch cans? My truck ran great before I paid someone to add both of these, now I keep getting error codes none stop and this morning it kept trying to die. I am thinking it may be the tune I already have in it and the new intercooler and catch cans are changing how the truck runs. One of the catch cans came unplugged yesterday plugged it back in and ran fine, now this morning more problems.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
This is a know issue when you install a catch can. Remove it and the PVC code should go away or remove the tune and see how it runs. I don’t think it the intercooler will affect anything as long as it was installed correctly.

OP
OP
B

Boomo

Reaction score
This is a know issue when you install a catch can. Remove it and the PVC code should go away or remove the tune and see how it runs. I don’t think it the intercooler will affect anything as long as it was installed correctly.

I was questioning even buying the catch cans at all, How much harm will come to my engine if I remove the catch cans?

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was questioning even buying the catch cans at all, How much harm will come to my engine if I remove the catch cans?

no harm at all...catch cans are not needed...they are designed to take your money with scary pictures of oil and gas blow by.

reality is....that stuff is extremely minimal in the moment and gets burned right away

SRPRACING

Reaction score
Yeah I’d remove the catch can setup and just drive the damn thing. Ford did their research. Last thing you want to do is mess with the crankcase ventilation flow. That will cause major problems.

What tune are you running? You may need to do a kam reset.

OP
OP
B

Boomo

Reaction score
Yeah I’d remove the catch can setup and just drive the damn thing. Ford did their research. Last thing you want to do is mess with the crankcase ventilation flow. That will cause major problems.

What tune are you running? You may need to do a kam reset.

I am running a cobb tune right now, but going to goosetuned

two24studios

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had nothing but problems with my Mishimoto oil catch can. Threw codes constantly, and the second I took it off, the codes stopped. Mishimoto kept telling me to disconnect my battery and it’d be fine, but after doing that and driving a few miles I’d get another CEL. What a waste of money.

D

Deleted member 17706

I never had a problem running my JLT catch cans on my Gen 1 or Gen 2. I don’t understand why guys try to spend hundreds of dollars on a catch can when it is a simple straightforward design. So yea, if you spent $300+ plus dollars for one, then you wasted your money. The JLT catch cans are sufficient and do their job with no warranty issues and/or throwing codes.

@goblues38 is partly wrong and partly right. All the excess oil and gas blow by doesn’t get burned up in an engine. How do I know? Tear apart any engine and you can clearly see what side of the engine the PCV was on and what side it wasn’t on as the blow by is evident. Does that mean that the excess oil/vapors will ruin your engine? Yes and no. If you don’t run top tier fuel with fuel additives, and quality oil with regular oil changes, then yes the blow by can accumulate over time and cause problems. But if you do all those things mentioned above, the likelihood of you having problems is slim. Moreover, most Raptor owners will NEVER keep their trucks long enough to have problems.

Vehicles nowadays can run 200k miles easily while not being maintained very well. Does that mean that you shouldn’t maintain a vehicle to the best of your abilities? No! Lol it amazes me some of my work fleet vehicles—currently have a 05 F150 XLT with 400k miles on the transmission (never been serviced). Does that mean that one shouldn’t do transmission flushes and change the tranny filters? No because someone who has regularly serviced their 05 F150 transmission is going to be in a lot better condition than what mine is in. In a similar way, catch cans will play a greater factor years down the road when the vehicle is older and out of warranty. How big that factor is is debatable. Nevertheless, they do work and alleviate oil/vapor build up. Tons of people on this forum have been using them for years with zero problems.

Raptor28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had numerous turboed cars with 600+ HP and I never used catch cans. My friend has them on his challenger and there's literally no point in them. He emptys it once every 3 months and its not even a tablespoon of oil in it.. Waste of money