Major Problems on Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What catch can are you using?

From what it sound like you have an installation issue with the catch can setup especially if you have hoses popping off. If you have a leak somewhere that's going to make you throw codes. Same thing with the hose lengths. If you had to cut to length the hoses consider shortening them up. If you have a super long hose you introduce a larger pressure drop on the system and that could throw some funky pressure readings to the ECU.

I'm in the pro can camp. No they aren't required but they do help in the long haul especially on a daily driver where you rack up the miles. In this aspect they help keep gunk build up in your intake system down especially on turbo vehicles. Now for the ecoboost it is a little different though. If you look at it the PCV line it recircs back into the intake manifold so that cuts down on a ton of piping so you're not doing to much in that respect. Little extra to keep the valves and manifold clean especially the valves. Direct injection vehicles have a tendency to have build up on the back of the valves since they don't have injectors spraying gas on them. The CCV line though does draw its vacuum from the suction side of the drivers side turbo so anything sucked out of the crank case will go though all of that piping. If you pop off an IC from a high mileage ecoboost engine you're going to see a build up of oil and stuff at the bottom of that thing. Does it hurt anything? No, but an oil lined IC doesn't do a very good job of heat transfer either.

I also don't understand why some of these catch can setups are so damn expensive either... You could literally piece you're own thing together for a fraction of the cost..

D

Deleted member 17706

Ive had numerous turboed cars with 600+ HP and I never used catch cans. My friend has them on his challenger and there's literally no point in them. He emptys it once every 3 months and its not even a tablespoon of oil in it.. Waste of money

It’s not a waste of money. A catch can is like insurance. You don’t buy it as a ROI. You buy it for protection. So it is a good thing your friend doesn’t have much blow by. It’s not something that you WANT to happen. Instead, when it does happen, you can catch it—no pun intended:) Moreover, just because your friend hasn’t had a lot of blow by in the can, doesn’t mean that such levels won’t change over time. I put it on my Gen 1 the day that I bought it and ran it for nearly 100k miles (6 years). The blow by levels fluctuated throughout that interval. I got more and more blow by as I got closer to 100k miles. So the levels can easily fluctuate depending on oil quality, fuel quality, climate, mechanical wear, and so on.

Also, how long did you have your turbo vehicles? If you run a catch can over the life of vehicle ownership, then you will have less blow by in your engine compared to an engine that doesn’t have one. How is that a bad thing if you plan on keeping your vehicle long term? $120 is nothing for added peace of mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not to be a critic, but shouldn’t the title of this thread be “Major problems with catch can installation on Gen 2”?

I thought this was going to be a thread on “Major” issues with the Gen 2 cam phasers, bouncy rear leafs, V6 exhaust note, lack of towing ability, etc. Not something that you did to yourself with aftermarket parts... :rolleyes:

Remove the catch cans and see how your truck performs, then report back to us.

Wojciech Gierczynski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was questioning even buying the catch cans at all, How much harm will come to my engine if I remove the catch cans?
If you want to keep catch can just go with JLT one. They only offer it on passanger side because there is no need for one on driver side. You wont have any problems with JLT. I had it on my 2017 Roush Supercharged and now I have one on 2019 Roush Raptor ... no issues.

SRPRACING

Reaction score
I agree can we not create another catch can thread. There’s already hundreds. Keep your opinions to yourself. It’s the OPs truck, not yours.

There is no harm not running one. I absolutely hate it when people come in here convincing them the truck won’t make it past 10k without running one. If you feel the need to purchase a catch can then purchase one and continue it in another thread. Your truck will do just fine without it.

You’d have to hit 300,000 or higher till ANY buildup on these engines would cause problems. You would have other things to worry about timing chain etc WAYYY before buildup. End of discussion.

OP I hope you fix your problem.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

I agree can we not create another catch can thread. There’s already hundreds. Keep your opinions to yourself. It’s the OPs truck, not yours.

There is no harm not running one. I absolutely hate it when people come in here convincing them the truck won’t make it past 10k without running one. If you feel the need to purchase a catch can then purchase one and continue it in another thread. Your truck will do just fine without it.

You’d have to hit 300,000 or higher till ANY buildup on these engines would cause problems. You would have other things to worry about timing chain etc WAYYY before buildup. End of discussion.

OP I hope you fix your problem.

Ah, so everyone is suppose to keep our opinions to ourselves, but such rules don’t apply to your opinionated statement.

The OP asked for feedback on catch cans. So all of us that contributed gave him some feedback. Nothing more.

Ali 556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no harm at all...catch cans are not needed...they are designed to take your money with scary pictures of oil and gas blow by.

reality is....that stuff is extremely minimal in the moment and gets burned right away
Haven't you seen these ?

And if you say : duh, it's a company they will add this stuff, check this one out

To OP:
Who ever installed it for you has made a mistake, check all fittings and the charge temp sensor

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was questioning even buying the catch cans at all, How much harm will come to my engine if I remove the catch cans?

Not sure why you installed dual catch cans. The UPR dual valve is all you need. Don't listen to the uninformed trolls about not needing a catch can. I installed the UPR dual valve in my 19 without a single issue. No codes. I get 2-3 oz every 5k so far. To say it's needed is pushing it but those 2-3oz of oil/water serve to dilute your fuel and reduce octane amongst other things. If you don't have one you won't miss it but if you install a proper one the right way you will enjoy a more efficiently running engine probably for more miles. You can't argue against the burning the cleanest air/fuel mixture possible.....correction....based on the ignorance often displayed on this forum apparently you can.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haven't you seen these ?

And if you say : duh, it's a company they will add this stuff, check this one out

To OP:
Who ever installed it for you has made a mistake, check all fittings and the charge temp sensor

I have seen it.....again....thats after several thousands of miles and billions of rpm's. Take that liquid and divide it by your billions of rpms, and you will see how little it really is.....in the moment......this is easily passed and burned.