Major Problems on Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you installed dual catch cans. The UPR dual valve is all you need. Don't listen to the uninformed trolls about not needing a catch can. I installed the UPR dual valve in my 19 without a single issue. No codes. I get 2-3 oz every 5k so far. To say it's needed is pushing it but those 2-3oz of oil/water serve to dilute your fuel and reduce octane amongst other things. If you don't have one you won't miss it but if you install a proper one the right way you will enjoy a more efficiently running engine probably for more miles. You can't argue against the burning the cleanest air/fuel mixture possible.....correction....based on the ignorance often displayed on this forum apparently you can.

The dual can setup covers the CCV not just the PCV. That's why you run a dual can. The dual valve only covers the PCV but allows you to get suction on the can both on and off boost.

Raptor28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not a waste of money. A catch can is like insurance. You don’t buy it as a ROI. You buy it for protection. So it is a good thing your friend doesn’t have much blow by. It’s not something that you WANT to happen. Instead, when it does happen, you can catch it—no pun intended:) Moreover, just because your friend hasn’t had a lot of blow by in the can, doesn’t mean that such levels won’t change over time. I put it on my Gen 1 the day that I bought it and ran it for nearly 100k miles (6 years). The blow by levels fluctuated throughout that interval. I got more and more blow by as I got closer to 100k miles. So the levels can easily fluctuate depending on oil quality, fuel quality, climate, mechanical wear, and so on.

Also, how long did you have your turbo vehicles? If you run a catch can over the life of vehicle ownership, then you will have less blow by in your engine compared to an engine that doesn’t have one. How is that a bad thing if you plan on keeping your vehicle long term? $120 is nothing for added peace of mind.
all I know is that ive had 3cars with them from new-70k miles and never really saw a point. I totally understand what your saying and how they are that added insurance for that price point

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I have seen it.....again....thats after several thousands of miles and billions of rpm's. Take that liquid and divide it by your billions of rpms, and you will see how little it really is.....in the moment......this is easily passed and burned.

From all my research, It doesn't all get burned, it will find its way to the intake tube, mass air flow sensors, intercooler, throttle body, etc.

Only clean air is what is originally designed to be in the intake, it used to be released to the atmosphere but the EPA changed that.

None of that blow-by no matter how small doesn't belong in an intake of a vehicle.

Mk1 Caddy

Reaction score
The only reason I would install a catch can is for performance (minimal at best). The second gen eco engine has both port and direct injection which takes care of valve carbon biuld up. One of the issues had with the first gen Eco.

So just imagine diluting whats coming out of you catch can with whatever many gallons of fuel you went through, the ratio is minimal. Also what looks "yucky" to you might not look to bad to your truck.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From all my research, It doesn't all get burned, it will find its way to the intake tube, mass air flow sensors, intercooler, throttle body, etc.

Only clean air is what is originally designed to be in the intake, it used to be released to the atmosphere but the EPA changed that.

None of that blow-by no matter how small doesn't belong in an intake of a vehicle.
Soo let’s say you were in a state that doesn’t do emissions test, or safety inspections, couldn’t you just disconnect the return hose and plug the hole?

Hypothetically problem solved?

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soo let’s say you were in a state that doesn’t do emissions test, or safety inspections, couldn’t you just disconnect the return hose and plug the hole?

Hypothetically problem solved?

No, you than have a build up of blow by gasses in the crank case and heads which is very BAD. Race cars either run a catch can setup, breather vent with a filter, or are using a dry sump. Either way don't plug the holes!

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
There's a reason why race cars run them, think about it.

"Why Catch Cans are important to your build"

"Oil catch cans are simple devices that can greatly benefit direct-injected engines. They prevent oil and other contaminants from causing buildup inside your engine's intake manifold. Here's how they work, and why you might want to install one on your own car.

A typical catch can plugs into a hose running from the top of your engine's crankcase to the intake manifold. This hose relieves pressure in the crankcase generated by blow-by (when pressure escapes the combustion chamber by seeping past the piston rings). The problem is, this pressure relief hose allows oil and other nasty stuff from the crankcase to get into the intake manifold, where it doesn't belong. These contaminants can build up inside the intake; when left unchecked, this buildup can hurt fuel economy and horsepower, and can even cause misfires."

Our engines have both direct and port injection and while port injection significantly helps to reduce the amount of blow-by in our engines it doesn't eliminate it 100% proven by the blow-by that's being collected by the catch can.

If you don't plan on keeping your vehicle long term, then don't install one. If you want to maintain peak performance, mpg, nothing but clean air in your system as the original design intended then install a high quality catch can that will capture all blow-by even when under boost.

It's your money, your vehicle, your option.

The truth is if you use a high quality full system catch can then you won't have any issues if installed properly.

The blow-by the is being caught by folks that run them was proof enough for me to spend the money to help keep my engine at its peak performance.

Sure some of that would be burned up but I personally don't want any of that blow-by where it doesn't belong.

Last edited:

Fireguy144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no harm at all...catch cans are not needed...they are designed to take your money with scary pictures of oil and gas blow by.

reality is....that stuff is extremely minimal in the moment and gets burned right away
I've heard that if you use fuel additive or improves it will clean those deposits..such as Amsoil PI... my Raptor has 2300 miles I will try it when it reaches around 4000 miles. Has anyone ever used them ?

D

Deleted member 17706

I've heard that if you use fuel additive or improves it will clean those deposits..such as Amsoil PI... my Raptor has 2300 miles I will try it when it reaches around 4000 miles. Has anyone ever used them ?

Yes, I use that every 4-5k miles. It helps keep your engine in superb shape.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lots of opinions on whether catch cans are needed or not, but what happened to the OP? Did he remove them and his problems went away or was it something else?