Loud Exhaust Rattle - Currently no fix from Ford

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TurboM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just took my truck to the dealer today (for the 3rd time) and called ford customer service while it was there. Basically got told "there is nothing we can do" period. No ETA, No Temp Fix. Probably the worst experience I have ever had with a customer service rep. They wouldn't do anything to help. Might have just sealed the deal this is my last ford ever.
Wow. My experience from last week (and prior attempts to get this fixed) was identical and I was literally just about to post the same exact thing. It's making me consider just selling this thing while it's still worth more than I paid.

topgun964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. My experience from last week (and prior attempts to get this fixed) was identical and I was literally just about to post the same exact thing. It's making me consider just selling this thing while it's still worth more than I paid.
I thought about the same thing. I even though about lemon law. But, I do like my truck besides this damn rattle.

Could switch over to the magnaflow exhaust, i've been running it for about 1k miles so far and has been awesome, didn't have the rattle on the stock exhaust i pulled off, but love the extra volume.
Funny you say that. I was looking for a cyber Monday deal but couldn't find any. Plus, spending 4k on an exhaust seems a bit high.

pandonsf

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought about the same thing. I even though about lemon law. But, I do like my truck besides this damn rattle.

Funny you say that. I was looking for a cyber Monday deal but couldn't find any. Plus, spending 4k on an exhaust seems a bit high.
I hear ya, i got it through Realtruck who discounted when i reached out.

OP
OP
T

TurboM

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I just got a follow up call from a Ford Customer Relations Supervisor who basically told me there is nothing else to do but wait for Ford to figure out a fix and I am welcome to file a complaint with the NHTSA :rolleyes:

So frustrating. This is my first Ford that has been my primary driver and it may be my last.

jpl291

Reaction score
I ended up selling my 22 raptor due to 3 things: the clunk in the shocks, exhaust rattle, and the center console turning black/off spontaneously. Ford has fixed the shock clunk. I had my exhaust replaced on the truck and it went away then came back. I wouldn’t waste my time on replacing the exhaust till they have an actually remedy other then replace faulty with faulty.

If it’s any constellation I ordered a 23. I missed the truck enough I figure I can live with the exhaust. The clunking and exhaust was just too much for an 80k truck. Hopefully there will be a fix down the road. I received the same response initially about the the shocks that everyone is getting about the exhaust. There’s obviously a problem they just don’t know or want to pay to fix it until there enough outrage. Everybody should report to ford its an issue to get it on their radar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TurboM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up selling my 22 raptor due to 3 things: the clunk in the shocks, exhaust rattle, and the center console turning black/off spontaneously. Ford has fixed the shock clunk. I had my exhaust replaced on the truck and it went away then came back. I wouldn’t waste my time on replacing the exhaust till they have an actually remedy other then replace faulty with faulty.

If it’s any constellation I ordered a 23. I missed the truck enough I figure I can live with the exhaust. The clunking and exhaust was just too much for an 80k truck. Hopefully there will be a fix down the road. I got the same response initially about the the shocks that everyone is getting about the exhaust. There’s obviously a problem they just don’t know or want to pay to fix it until there enough outrage. Everybody should report to ford its an issue to get it on their radar.
I've had the front suspension issue since day 1 as well and after 3 separate complaints over the past year and the dealer telling me it was normal they finally just ordered a front driver side strut, which of course is on backorder.

Who knows when Ford will come up with a fix for the exhaust as they formally acknowledged there was a pervasive issue about 5 months ago and still don't have a fix out. I feel like the right thing to do here is just walk away from Ford and let someone else deal with their pitiful service and customer support.

Rezttu

Reaction score
Wow so glad I found this thread. I have a gen3 with 31k miles on it now. I thought I was crazy about this rattle. Finally took it to the dealer (experience the same wait times as mentioned prior). Short staffed long waits we can’t get to your truck for 10 days etc. With that being said, I have a great relationship with the service department/advisor/manager here and I was pretty floored when they told me sorry sir there’s no fix for it yet nothing we can do. Your truck is ready to be picked up whenever you’re ready. So frustrating and yes this truck is my daily driver and I’ve spent $115k on it including mods. Frustrating.

Compound this with the fact that I also have a gen 2 with 140k miles since new and it had the cam phaser issue and since I drive so much I basically had to pay out of pocket for that repair. The gen2 is once again stuttering. I am thinking it’s the same issue again.

I have a raptor r on order. Probably shooting myself in the foot here, but I love raptors. Ford just need to fix these damn issues on these expensive ass trucks.

The service experience on a $100k ford isn’t up to par when you compare BMW or Porsche dealers. Not trying to be snooty but they need to handle their service issues better

OP
OP
T

TurboM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow so glad I found this thread. I have a gen3 with 31k miles on it now. I thought I was crazy about this rattle. Finally took it to the dealer (experience the same wait times as mentioned prior). Short staffed long waits we can’t get to your truck for 10 days etc. With that being said, I have a great relationship with the service department/advisor/manager here and I was pretty floored when they told me sorry sir there’s no fix for it yet nothing we can do. Your truck is ready to be picked up whenever you’re ready. So frustrating and yes this truck is my daily driver and I’ve spent $115k on it including mods. Frustrating.

Compound this with the fact that I also have a gen 2 with 140k miles since new and it had the cam phaser issue and since I drive so much I basically had to pay out of pocket for that repair. The gen2 is once again stuttering. I am thinking it’s the same issue again.

I have a raptor r on order. Probably shooting myself in the foot here, but I love raptors. Ford just need to fix these damn issues on these expensive ass trucks.

The service experience on a $100k ford isn’t up to par when you compare BMW or Porsche dealers. Not trying to be snooty but they need to handle their service issues better
Other than mods my story is identical with yours. I have an R on order and am seriously considering just flipping this thing when I get it due to Ford's blatant neglect. The service experience has been so bad I just can't justify owning another Ford again in the long run.

blue22raptor

Reaction score
Had my exhaust unplugged all week. Still sounds good. Cold starts are a bit louder, but still acceptable for neighborhoods. Idle stutter when stopped and in drive is significantly less. The plugs are easy to reach. They are right on top of the muffler. All you need to do is slide the white clip out, then press down on the clip and slide them off. I would suggest covering the loose plug end with electrical tape or a balloon to keep moisture and dirt out! They don’t hang down enough to contact the exhaust, so heat doesn’t appear to become an issue. VERY HAPPY not to hear the exhaust rattle every time I start the truck! Even happier that it sounds a little more aggressive at startup and idle!
Attached pic is viewing the plug from above.

Attachments

• 757840A5-CFF7-4884-A2BD-9AA5093B6D19.jpeg
    757840A5-CFF7-4884-A2BD-9AA5093B6D19.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 48

topgun964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my exhaust unplugged all week. Still sounds good. Cold starts are a bit louder, but still acceptable for neighborhoods. Idle stutter when stopped and in drive is significantly less. The plugs are easy to reach. They are right on top of the muffler. All you need to do is slide the white clip out, then press down on the clip and slide them off. I would suggest covering the loose plug end with electrical tape or a balloon to keep moisture and dirt out! They don’t hang down enough to contact the exhaust, so heat doesn’t appear to become an issue. VERY HAPPY not to hear the exhaust rattle every time I start the truck! Even happier that it sounds a little more aggressive at startup and idle!
Attached pic is viewing the plug from above.
Should this be done when the engine is running?