Looks like Gen3 will have the same power numbers as Gen2-Confirmed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In reality the Raptor for the most part has plenty of off road power. The suspension upgrades will make it that much better. But the Raptor a very short time ago was King in half ton power and one of the quickest trucks on and off road. Not to mention most new gen’s of trucks get some type of power bump. You expect that out of a big 3 new truck.

So it’s somewhat puzzling why Ford did not pull at least another 25HP/25TQ out at a minimum to show improvement? 500HP/550TQ would have had people talking and anything more there would have been partying in the streets. Does Ford not want to risk bumping up the 3.5 or can they not meet various specs? Or they leaving it to the “R” to pickup the power? Or has the EV took away some focus? Maybe one day we will know.

DeepSeaMofo423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In reality the Raptor for the most part has plenty of off road power. The suspension upgrades will make it that much better. But the Raptor a very short time ago was King in half ton power and one of the quickest trucks on and off road. Not to mention most new gen’s of trucks get some type of power bump. You expect that out of a big 3 new truck.

So it’s somewhat puzzling why Ford did not pull at least another 25HP/25TQ out at a minimum to show improvement? 500HP/550TQ would have had people talking and anything more there would have been partying in the streets. Does Ford not want to risk bumping up the 3.5 or can they not meet various specs? Or they leaving it to the “R” to pickup the power? Or has the EV took away some focus? Maybe one day we will know.
I was also very shocked the Gen 3 did not raise the HP / TQ on the truck. Everyone knows a tune on the truck changes everything! The power is there why not tap into it FORD?

dvm

Reaction score
I was also very shocked the Gen 3 did not raise the HP / TQ on the truck. Everyone knows a tune on the truck changes everything! The power is there why not tap into it FORD?
Because they have to warranty it. Why increase the powerband when all raptors will sell very quickly for well over sticker. Not much incentive for Ford to stick there neck out farther for no gain on there part.

I hate to stick up for Ford on this part but if I was running the company why would I increase the powerband for no additional profit while potentially spending more money on warranty claims.

this all just sucks for the end user.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because they have to warranty it. Why increase the powerband when all raptors will sell very quickly for well over sticker. Not much incentive for Ford to stick there neck out farther for no gain on there part.

I hate to stick up for Ford on this part but if I was running the company why would I increase the powerband for no additional profit while potentially spending more money on warranty claims.

Exactly. Many factors go into it, it's not that they couldn't easily increase power.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the Gen 3 will have identical HP and Torque as a Gen 2, that is ******* weak! I mean holy crap Ford, you could not have bumped it a lousy 10 HP via a software change just to make buyers feel they are getting something better than the previous generation.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I wonder if it's a matter of giving them some room to grow, so to speak. If Ford is looking to move things in more of a hybrid, EV direction, then they do want want to make sure that migrating a Raptor over to a hybrid results in an easy power gain that's compelling enough to get people to upgrade. For example, if Ford could push the V6TT to 500 HP right now, but projects that they can only go to 525 HP by adding an electric motor a few years from now, then it makes sense to just hold for how. Ford may feel that people aren't quite ready for a hybrid Raptor, or the battery tech and costs aren't where they want them to be yet to make the jump...and so they have something in reserve to motivate buyers years from now.

Phrasing it a different way. If Ford set the power to 500 HP for '21, then in '24 when a Gen 4 comes out make it a hybrid with 525HP and slightly better MPG (and not much else), it won't be very compelling. So perhaps Ford is keeping the power at 450 HP now, using the rear suspension, 37 package, interior upgrades to motivate buyers now...so that they can have a big power jump to 525 in '24 to get people to upgrade again.

Just a guess, I know that many don't think hybrid makes sense in a Raptor. Which could be why Ford wants to wait till the weight/power ratio improves.

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They could have also paired the new Raptor with that electric motor they have on the new F150's "hybrids". That was an extra 50hp not to mention a bump in the MPG's

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They could have also paired the new Raptor with that electric motor they have on the new F150's "hybrids". That was an extra 50hp not to mention a bump in the MPG's

It the current F150s, the battery takes up much of the gas tank space, reducing your tank size significantly. Also adding weight. That, and the fact that the Raptor market probably isn't fully ready to accept hybrids means that it make sense to wait....if it happens at all.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So the Gen 3 will have identical HP and Torque as a Gen 2, that is ******* weak! I mean holy crap Ford, you could not have bumped it a lousy 10 HP via a software change just to make buyers feel they are getting something better than the previous generation.

I think this is a bad marketing/sales move by Ford. Sure they will sell every Raptor they make, but they could make them fly off the shelves or get more current owners motivated. Hey let’s come to the reality of it. Many folks have bought the Raptor due to it being the biggest, fastest, most capable, most powerful half ton out there. A lot of say Gen 2 guys aren’t rushing to buy in as they have the same power already paid for. If your tuned,
Your well ahead of that. I know about the Gen 3 upgrades, but I also know what a lot of guys are looking at and it’s the power as well.
I wonder if it's a matter of giving them some room to grow, so to speak. If Ford is looking to move things in more of a hybrid, EV direction, then they do want want to make sure that migrating a Raptor over to a hybrid results in an easy power gain that's compelling enough to get people to upgrade. For example, if Ford could push the V6TT to 500 HP right now, but projects that they can only go to 525 HP by adding an electric motor a few years from now, then it makes sense to just hold for how. Ford may feel that people aren't quite ready for a hybrid Raptor, or the battery tech and costs aren't where they want them to be yet to make the jump...and so they have something in reserve to motivate buyers years from now.

Phrasing it a different way. If Ford set the power to 500 HP for '21, then in '24 when a Gen 4 comes out make it a hybrid with 525HP and slightly better MPG (and not much else), it won't be very compelling. So perhaps Ford is keeping the power at 450 HP now, using the rear suspension, 37 package, interior upgrades to motivate buyers now...so that they can have a big power jump to 525 in '24 to get people to upgrade again.

Just a guess, I know that many don't think hybrid makes sense in a Raptor. Which could be why Ford wants to wait till the weight/power ratio improves.
Not sure Ford was ready to put electric into the Raptor anytime soon. They said they wanted to keep the Raptor a Raptor. Weight and not so complex may be part of it for now. I’d like to see a hybrid Raptor at some point personally.

I also don’t think your going to run out of power with a hybrid. Motors and batteries will keep on improving and you will be able to steadily increase power.

Do you want to make a Raptor a 9000lb behemoth with over a 1000HP like the EV Hummer? I don’t think so. That weight still has to be limiting. But even a hybrid Raptor can steadily improve.

I have to agree with @Big Blue and for Ford not to even offer 10-25 extra HP sounds odd. If your going to throw rods or punch holes in pistons from this increase or have your emission specs jump through the roof from it I guess Fords warranty worries must be true amongst other things.

This truck came out a lot faster then Gen 2 from Gen 1. But the engineers said they have been working on it since 2017 (The Gen 3). I just think somebody high up said leave the 3.5 motor as it is. Either to save further development costs or save the extra for the “R”. People continually want to see improvements in a vehicle. But maybe Ford really just thinks the power is perfect. But if that’s the case the “R” will have to be an entirely different truck.

Stan G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10-25 extra HP each year-- think about it. If that was the case - we'd all be driving 1000HP 2mile to the gallon trucks.

There are tradeoffs. The existing engine is solid, parts are plentiful, technicians know how to work on it, aftermarket tunes will not need to be adjusted. This was a smart move by a veteran company.