Looking to buy a Raptor, but have Q's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I have read all through this thread and I am not sure I know what tire size will fit on a Raptor. Will 37's work? Does Raptor come in hybrid or electric? I here 2018 they are releasing a triple turbo 4 cylinder ecoboost. :supergay::flipthebird:

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I have read all through this thread and I am not sure I know what tire size will fit on a Raptor. Will 37's work? Does Raptor come in hybrid or electric? I here 2018 they are releasing a triple turbo 4 cylinder ecoboost. :supergay::flipthebird:

And which 3" lift should you get?

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking at buying a Raptor in the near future, probably the 2017 model. I know purists are screaming, but I am jumping for joy with this v6 Ecoboost. The MPG is what kept me from the current gen Raptor. I currently have a heavily modded FJ Cruiser (link here if you are interested) which I said I would never get rid of. My plan was to keep it and get a car with higher MPG's to use for commuting. However, now I am thinking I can have the best of both worlds.

That being said, I am hoping people can answer a few questions for me:
  1. What are common reoccurring problems people experience with current gens?
  2. Is the stock suspension good enough? (I would hope so for the price)
  3. What is the biggest tire people run without rubbing, stock?
  4. Biggest tires with an aftermarket bumper? Body mount chop needed?

Thanks in advance!

Wow, this thread really went into the crapper fast! While my Raptor family may have been a bit brutal to the OP....some of the questions are open ended and some of your comments tend to hit some hot buttons here.

MPG. As stated, we don't care. We did not buy the best OEM offroad beast in the world with MPG as a consideration. The fact is, I know guys that get 15 MPG with their Raptor consistently. Over the past 4 years, I average 10 MPG on the road. It all comes comes down to how you use your right foot. True MPG really depends on you.

[*]What are common reoccurring problems people experience with current gens?

Kind of a loaded question. I have had my 2011 since new. I have not have ANY recurring problems or any problems for that matter, unless you count my need to have an alignment done about 4-5 times a year. I am also fortunate to be part of a fairly large local Raptor pack and....None of those guys have any recurring issues either....

[*]Is the stock suspension good enough? (I would hope so for the price)

This is an open ended question. Good enough for what? To make a 90' Jump...No.

To do this on a regular basis....Yes.

image.jpg1_zpsu83yucis.jpg

[*]What is the biggest tire people run without rubbing, stock?

Again, Open ended question...Without rubbing Offroad or on the Street? If you want to offroad hard without any modification 35" is it. If you want to go to 37" and offroad hard you will need a number of mods. If your a street queen you can run 37s without any mods.

[*]Biggest tires with an aftermarket bumper? Body mount chop needed?

I am not aware of any bumpers that impact the size limits of your tires. There are a number of bumpers that require a minor frame cut and just as many that don't.