Looking to buy a Raptor, but have Q's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hewster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking at buying a Raptor in the near future, probably the 2017 model. I know purists are screaming, but I am jumping for joy with this v6 Ecoboost. The MPG is what kept me from the current gen Raptor. I currently have a heavily modded FJ Cruiser (link here if you are interested) which I said I would never get rid of. My plan was to keep it and get a car with higher MPG's to use for commuting. However, now I am thinking I can have the best of both worlds.

That being said, I am hoping people can answer a few questions for me:
  1. What are common reoccurring problems people experience with current gens?
  2. Is the stock suspension good enough? (I would hope so for the price)
  3. What is the biggest tire people run without rubbing, stock?
  4. Biggest tires with an aftermarket bumper? Body mount chop needed?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking at buying a Raptor in the near future, probably the 2017 model. I know purists are screaming, but I am jumping for joy with this v6 Ecoboost. The MPG is what kept me from the current gen Raptor. I currently have a heavily modded FJ Cruiser (link here if you are interested) which I said I would never get rid of. My plan was to keep it and get a car with higher MPG's to use for commuting. However, now I am thinking I can have the best of both worlds.

That being said, I am hoping people can answer a few questions for me:
  1. What are common reoccurring problems people experience with current gens?
  2. Is the stock suspension good enough? (I would hope so for the price)
  3. What is the biggest tire people run without rubbing, stock?
  4. Biggest tires with an aftermarket bumper? Body mount chop needed?

Thanks in advance!

If the MPG was keeping you away, you should stay away. I highly doubt the new Raptor will see better than 18mpg if that but we'll see. Who the F buys an off road monster for good gas mileage anyway??? All your questions have been answered, chewed up and spit into noobs mouths over and over around here so read up and you'll find what you're looking for.

Oh yeah welcome!

OP
OP
H

hewster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you and @zanemasterx will get along very well.

After a quick thread search, I see what you are referring to. I was hoping I would get an adult to reply.

If the MPG was keeping you away, you should stay away. I highly doubt the new Raptor will see better than 18mpg if that but we'll see. Who the F buys an off road monster for good gas mileage anyway??? All your questions have been answered, chewed up and spit into noobs mouths over and over around here so read up and you'll find what you're looking for.

Oh yeah welcome!

18 is better than 8 or 9. That's what I get now, and it is good enough for me. Who buys a (correction for you) decent offroad vehicle for good gas mileage? Someone like myself who drives an hour to work and would prefer less vehicles in my driveway (especially since my state has property tax).

I believe a "Prospective Raptor Owners" section is for people to post questions. Yes I am glancing over the forum, but it would be nice for someone to answer simple questions rather than reading pages and pages and pages. In the time it took for you to be a cyber warrior, you could have answered my questions to be helpful.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
After a quick thread search, I see what you are referring to. I was hoping I would get an adult to reply.

If you continue to use that handy search feature, you wouldn't need to post this thread at all.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe @Jimbo covered my reply.

@hewster "Who buys a (correction for you) decent offroad vehicle for good gas mileage?" Also 18 mpg would only be 5 more than I get now on my 13'. You don't own a Raptor so you can't correct shit. Cyber warrior I am not, teacher of the FRF ways I am. You gon' learn today!

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Welcome to the mayhem!!

Being one of the newer guys around here, I quickly learned to do a little research before asking ANY advice - especially when starting a thread! That opens you up to a lot of comments that you may not want to see. But the veterans here make a good point. I don't think that the Raptor may be your best option. We are not that worried about mpg, flashy big wheels, curb feelers, etc. We are off-roaders and could care less about how good our mpg is between work and play. The 2017 will still be an off-road truck with capabilities and equipment that won't allow it to compete with other trucks regarding mpg. These trucks are the one's everyone points at and says "look at that beast!". So, in my humble opinion, I would stick with the FJ and spend a little money on a good mpg car. Sounds like that might be your best option for saving some money. As the saying goes - THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE RAPTOR IS JUST THE DOWN PAYMENT FOR ALL THE STUFF YOU BUY TO MAKE IT BETTER.