GEN 2 Long term FMIC owners?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigTaco

Reaction score
Believe it or not, this is not a real problem ( stacking coolers in away that have them in the same air path through the grille). As crazy as it sounds, 140f air can and will cool the 210F radiator behind it. Remember, “optimal” temp for oil and water is the key, not cold.

Better intercooler performance makes more power as the capacity to bring down the temp of the compressed air will result in more horsepower.

Think about how an engine makes more power on a cold day then on a hot one; no “tune” required.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input! I recall a post about FMIC blocking the radiator and causing issues with overheating. Somewhat of a concern because I live in FL. Seems like it wont be a problem.
It wasnt the FMIC causing the issues, it was a light bar behind the grill. I've driven through 120 degree heat with a fully loaded truck, no heat issues whatsoever.

OP
OP
C

cbryant1004

Reaction score
Understood. Thanks for the info guys!

I've considered the CVF intercooler, but again I plan on getting an ADD bumper shortly after the FMIC.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Believe it or not, this is not a real problem ( stacking coolers in away that have them in the same air path through the grille). As crazy as it sounds, 140f air can and will cool the 210F radiator behind it. Remember, “optimal” temp for oil and water is the key, not cold.

Better intercooler performance makes more power as the capacity to bring down the temp of the compressed air will result in more horsepower.

Think about how an engine makes more power on a cold day then on a hot one; no “tune” required.
People seem to refuse to believe science and physics. I have done testing on this very subject. Stacking heat exchangers gets dicey when the fin density of the leading exchanger is super dense. This is not the case with these FMICs.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People seem to refuse to believe science and physics. I have done testing on this very subject. Stacking heat exchangers gets dicey when the fin density of the leading exchanger is super dense. This is not the case with these FMICs.
I for one understand and believe the science. Still, feel better not going there in my use case.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understood. Thanks for the info guys!

I've considered the CVF intercooler, but again I plan on getting an ADD bumper shortly after the FMIC.
If you are looking at a bolt on option for bumpers, I believe the CVF still fits. However, I'd confirm that when you make your final bumper selection. For me it was also the path of least modification (no hacking/cutting).

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some bumpers require an intercooler relocation - For example my bumper does even though it is a bolt on.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depends on your climate , i like the charge cooler having its own dedicated airflow path. I have had issues in summer with large whipple water charge cooler on my GEN1 at highway speed. in the Arizona Summer . Gen 2 i have the Garret CAC , I like my 42deg A/C out of vents and 195 deg coolant temps when its 120 deg ambient .

Last edited: