GEN 2 Long term FMIC owners?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbryant1004

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm about to pull the trigger on the SVC FMIC with the turbosmart mechanical BOV, but wanted to hear from the long term FMIC owners out there on things to look out for (lessons learned) before I click "buy".

I've read through most if not all the threads regarding FMIC upgrades, but saw some mixed experiences from folks and wasn't sold on the idea.

I don't plan to tune it just yet, but that will come in the future along with an aftermarket bumper . Since I'm just doing the FMIC and BOV, will I run into any CELs or any other issues I need to worry about or is it all plug n play for the most part?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to a FMIC without a tune is pointless and will throw codes. Save up and do both at the same time.

This.

SVC FMIC user here for the last 2 years. No issues at all except sometimes with the tune removed, I do get a code for the shutters. IMO, the Turbosmart will be unnecessary with the SVC FMIC as the BOV gets relocated to the top so you can clearly hear the “whoosh.”

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Going to a FMIC without a tune is pointless and will throw codes. Save up and do both at the same time.
I think nex is drunk. An fmic won’t throw any codes without a tune. I’ve had my fmic for 5 years no issues.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
… Being in Texas, I didn't want ANYTHING in front of my radiator.
This is a non issue. Many OEMs stack heat exchangers (ac condenser, intercooler and radiator) into a sandwich. Many years ago I used to do thermal testing of heat exchangers including the effects of stacking them. I can tell you the effects are minimal as in negligible.

What really affects (disrupts) airflow and cooling is when people mount lights and block the grill. This causes the airflow to be diverted in a very detrimental way.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wouldn't be me if I wasn't.

How did you get around the shutters? My point is you will not see enough gains to justify it without a tune. So if you don't want a tune, get a stock location replacement IC.
The shutters won't throw a CEL - they will show up as an error if you look for errors by connecting to the OBD2 port IF, that is IF you disconnected them. You can leave them plugged in and powered up and zip tied out of the way, that is what I did and no issues. And - I disagree, even stock you will see nice results with a good intercooler, the OEM unit is junk.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a non issue. Many OEMs stack heat exchangers (ac condenser, intercooler and radiator) into a sandwich. Many years ago I used to do thermal testing of heat exchangers including the effects of stacking them. I can tell you the effects are minimal as in negligible.

What really affects (disrupts) airflow and cooling is when people mount lights and block the grill. This causes the airflow to be diverted in a very detrimental way.
Sandwiching heat exchangers is a horrible way to cool. You heat the incoming air to 140 deg/f with the first exchanger then next exchanger can not get below 140. Normal heat exchange design is within 10 deg/f of the cooling media, in this case the hot air. They get around some of this by oversizing the 2nd third exchangers. But still can’t get below the already heated air temp.

OP
OP
C

cbryant1004

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input! I recall a post about FMIC blocking the radiator and causing issues with overheating. Somewhat of a concern because I live in FL. Seems like it wont be a problem.

As for the shutter issue, according to this thread unplugging doesn't throw CELs but does show DTC(s). Unclear if this would create problems down the road ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do plan on a tune and an ADD bolt on bumper eventually.