GEN 2 Long term FMIC owners?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did not know this!
good info an explanation, thanks.

Finally, some more sciencey stuff.
It is hard for my new guys to grasp refrigeration. I think because they don't teach (or the ********* did not pay attention) what I was taught in school. That heat is energy and that energy can not be destroyed it can only be changed or modified.

I try this explanation and honestly it only works on about 25% of those under 25.

You take water at room temperature and then put it in the freezer. The water has to release some energy (heat, it blows their ever loving mind that room temp water has any heat, let alone energy)

To then melt that ice the water has to absorb energy (heat)

That is the basics of all refrigeration, even a swamp cooler and even putting ice in a cooler.

You put water in a freezer, the water released energy that was then removed from the freezer by the evaporator and compressor to the condenser on the back or underneath the refrigerator that was then released into the air.

Then you put ice into a cooler that absorbs heat energy from your beer, as it turns back into a liquid.

Last edited:

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! I've a form of numerical dyslexia where even dialing a phone number once was a minor challenge. However, understanding any and all concepts of physics is a simple process of actually "seeing" the process take place in my head. Even though this is not my thread, thank you "Science" guys for all the science.

@Old-Raptor-guy, please keep up the "visual" examples (just watch out for OldFart)!

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice! I've a form of numerical dyslexia where even dialing a phone number once was a minor challenge. However, understanding any and all concepts of physics is a simple process of actually "seeing" the process take place in my head. Even though this is not my thread, thank you "Science" guys for all the science.

@Old-Raptor-guy, please keep up the "visual" examples (just watch out for OldFart)!
I also suffer from dyslexia and mild autism (wife says it is more than mild, hahaha).

If you look into it those like us have generally better understanding/grasp on science/mechanical things.

As you said, you can see it in your head. I can as well. My wife on the other hand can NOT. We have had many conversations about it.

For me it is what makes us, us. If everyone was like my wife the internal combustion engine would have never been invented and if everyone was like my self written language would probably not exist.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is hard for my new guys to grasp refrigeration. I think because they don't teach (or the ********* did not pay attention) what I was taught in school. That heat is energy and that energy can not be destroyed it can only be changed or modified.

I try this explanation and honestly it only works on about 25% of those under 25.

You take water at room temperature and then put it in the freezer. The water has to release some energy (heat, it blows their ever loving mind that room temp water has any heat, let alone energy)

To then melt that ice the water has to absorb energy (heat)

That is the basics of all refrigeration, even a swap cooler and even putting ice in a cooler.

You put water in a freezer, the water released energy that was then removed from the freezer but the evaporator and compressor to the condenser on the back or underneath the refrigerator that was then released into the air.

Then you put ice into a cooler that absorbs heat energy from your beer, as it turns back into a liquid.
It seems many get hung up on the expansion of the gas. One thing I think gets left out is flow of energy always move from hot to cold. Terrific explanation you provided and I hope people realize stacking those heat exchangers is a bad idea in most cases.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
So I have a question for you deniers. If the air temperature was 35 deg and you had a 35 mph wind and a wing chill factor of 21 deg, will water freeze?

No

Wind chill isn’t “temperature”, it represents the “rate” at which heat is lost, or rather given up, to the atmosphere.

Last edited:

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Well, wind chill is technically a “made up” number that’s supposed to be the “feels like” temperature to exposed human flesh. Nothing else. It really isn’t even very close to that either.

In some technical applications the heat loss rate must be included as a variable, but it also includes the air temp, pressure, and actual humidity.

The basic wind chill calculation only applies to humans.

Just sayin….

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s just not possible to stack heat exchangers without decreasing the efficiency of the 2nd and/or 3rd exchangers. Any oem that does stack coolers sizes the downstream coolers with this reduced efficiency in the design. If you stack something in front of the radiator on the Raptor it’ll reduce the radiators ability to cool. Weather or not it reduces it enough to cause issues will depend on a ton of environmental factors.

The way I see it the Raptor has HUGE frontal cooling area compared to most vehicles, why not take advantage of all of it? (Unless you want to run a bumper that necessitates the relocation of the IC.)

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How could it run cooler? Do you think its the extra airflow removing the grill slats? I read about certain tow ratings being governed by or companies opening grill size for just the reason of sufficient cooling to reach a given tow rating. So in the absence of an actual raptor engineer proving it just becomes anecdotal evidence , wouldn't you agree? Im on the fence with front mount vs stock mount as well .
It runs cooler because I have seen the temps for my trans and engine on my Cobb accessport. I have pulled a boat up the hill in the summer plenty of time to know the temps.