Lightweight, Quiet, Road-centric All-Terrain Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
titanjc

titanjc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Pirelli AT Plus you listed, on my beater Silverado. Very nice tires, quiet, handle well, good in the rain, good in the snow.
A Pirelli all-season was standard on my wife’s Volvo XC90 and we’ve had great luck with them, so I’m definitely considering the AT Plus. Given the choice, would you prefer the Pirellis over the BFG’s on your Raptor?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those look great. I remembered seeing you post about the Coopers in another thread, was hoping you’d chime in. How do they compare to the BFG’s regarding sound, on road feel, etc.?

Which CF flares are those btw, they look fantastic.
IMO the KO2s are complete garbage. I have nothing good to say about them. Not sure how anyone likes them. Maybe 100% dirt they are ok, but otherwise they are noisy and have the worst on road traction ever. The coopers OTOH ride so much better and smoother, much quieter - there really is no comparison. The coopers really are that good IMO. As for the flares, to make a long story short my truck was the victim of a gunshot wound thought the driver rear flare. The passenger side flares needed replacing too. Cost to replace 3 was roughly $1500 delivered. I sought alternatives. I went with the 2" wider Anderson Composites flares which ran me about $1750 delivered.

gopher870

Reaction score
As for the flares, to make a long story short my truck was the victim of a gunshot wound....

After a comment like that and NO backstory?!?! Was this a country backyard story involving alcohol or were you buying product down in the hood?? Pictures???? Give us something good...

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL, they were rated highly then as well. I haven't found those ratings to be very accurate. Once I got my brand new Fx4 stuck in the sand on Carolina Beach (where I'd driven many times with other tires with no problem) while being laughed at by old beater jeeps, those tires immediately came off and were traded to my next door neighbor for an old fridge for the garage. He put them on his 2WD Chevy, where they belong. I replaced them with KO2s on the same wheels, and had no problem when I went back. I had the ATRs. Their new ones (AT Plus) might be a little better, but Perelli is not known for AT or off-road tires.

That's what I have, is the AT Plus, I just got them at the beginning of winter. They must be a LOT different than the older ones, they are good in the snow and good in ****** rain. I don't really do anything with the Silverado off road.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After a comment like that and NO backstory?!?! Was this a country backyard story involving alcohol or were you buying product down in the hood?? Pictures???? Give us something good...
LOL. I live in the heart of hollywood - if you know the area melrose / la brea area. Urbania if you will. My truck was happily parked in my driveway and around 11:30 PM I heard 7-9 gunshots very close to my house - was at the top of my block, im in the middle of the block. Didn't think too much of it until the next morning when I saw this:

DJNgDTUmi-q1yju6Ugt5Fp5XpainVHv0wPXTyfoKpvI0=w2400.jpg

The slug hit the frame - an inch lower and maybe kaboom?

Gx8gZygNHvoFNvyNIWGcBNznvosddfapXsQaZtyKDNWs=w2400.jpg

Even found the slug (which i gave to the POPO)

46z5xgyJGeGZ6EH334EwG2wP2mAs5fNNenhd3XbgVXdI=w2400.jpg

Before I removed the fender flare, I thought the only damage was to the flare itself. Nope. I decided to just leave it though as you can't see it anyway. One of these holes should not be there :p

wolA3WjgUQhKa106bq95aWMrMOxGQxA44Fi3XNRDVlF8=w2400.jpg

And all better.

DQgco-Kd46VBMvUx_3b_v1GvV3kwbpokICOEJh40qLDc=w2400.jpg

Then my daughter's car that was parked on the street ($4k damage) - bullet went thought the rear window and lodged into the rear seat back.

metDEf_hVRkRXgD_0SXd5JK6NyfvY9g-4MVpcXRdXJCA=w2400.jpg

Apologies for the thread jack :/

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A Pirelli all-season was standard on my wife’s Volvo XC90 and we’ve had great luck with them, so I’m definitely considering the AT Plus. Given the choice, would you prefer the Pirellis over the BFG’s on your Raptor?

If you are not going off road, I think I would do the Pirelli AT Plus. I don't think they look like a ***** passenger tire.

upload_2021-4-8_13-36-6.png

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My vote goes for the Terra Grappler. If you dislike road noise, you won’t be happy with the Yokohama’s. I’ve had two sets of Geolandars on other vehicles. They both get very noisy as they age. I’ve hear similar things about the Coopers.

The Toyo/Nitto tires are well known for being relatively quiet. That was why a lot of folks were running the Toyo M/T for that specific reason. And the Terra Grappler has good all terrain ability.