Let's talk tires... Toyo MT vs. RT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

CCole77

Reaction score
You said you were gunna do some offroading, what does that entail for you? Dirt roads? Mud pits? Sand?

That should be the deciding factor unless you want the more aggressive look for the hell of it

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Will end up being dirt roads and mud.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The MT is probably the best and quietest road going MT in my opinion. However the RT which I have now is more quiet, smoother and they wear really well. As mentioned earlier, the Nitto Ridge Grappler might be a good trade off. Toyo and Nitto are the same company and the RT and the Ridge Grappler are sister tires so to speak. Both are great but Nitto does have a more aggressive sidewall if you're wanting that look.

Umlify

Reaction score
I will also add this, just for consideration:
In regards to width, even though the M/T and the R/T come in 12.5 and 13.5 widths, the M/T is noticeably wider.
Appearance of the R/T does make it look a little less wide than the M/T. M/T will give you that nice, wide looking stance but may induce rubbing (depending on side/offset of wheel).
I hate to admit it, but going to the R/T from the M/T on my Cummins disappointed me in the looks department. Only complaint I had though.

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had both on my Raptor. I preferred the MT over the RT. The RT liked to throw small small stones at speed, didn't wear as well as I had hoped, and were increasingly noisy as they wore down.
The MT wore like iron, weighed like it as well!

CWBROWN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that both Nitto and Toyo are made by the same company but I have been told Toyo is the higher end. I had Nitto MT's on my Gen 1 and hatted then. They were loud and always out of balance. I was religious about rotating them every 3k miles and they constantly took more and more weight to balance.

I switched to the Toyo MT on my Gen 2 and have been much happier with them. I have close to 10k miles on them and they have been wearing very well. They have taken minimal weight to balance from the start. They are much quieter on the freeway in my opinion.

Finally and most importantly, I am unstoppable in the line at Starbucks or at the mall.

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am running 35x12R20 Toyo M/T's on 20x9 Rotiform SIX-OR. I LOVE the set up and get compliments all the time. I have 5,000 miles on them and can't hear them at all even with the windows down. Seems like Toyo's M/T's start to make noise once you rotate them.

Very happy with them.

MV6.jpg1XX.jpg0_1.jpg

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running 35x12.5 Toyo MTs on my 17 with SOTA Pro Series SSDs. ?It's a great looking setup, and they don't make much noise at all on the highway. Gas mileage is down a bit from the BFG KO2s, but that was to be expected since they weigh about 25lbs more each and the tread is MT...wearing great so far...rotated once...hoping to get good mileage out of them.

OP
OP
C

CCole77

Reaction score
I am running 35x12R20 Toyo M/T's on 20x9 Rotiform SIX-OR. I LOVE the set up and get compliments all the time. I have 5,000 miles on them and can't hear them at all even with the windows down. Seems like Toyo's M/T's start to make noise once you rotate them.

Very happy with them.

MV6.jpg1XX.jpg0_1.jpg

This is the exact set up I am considering...for obvious reasons, they look amazing. Did you do add any spring adjustment to the front, or is the suspension stock?

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have 1.5" RPG Collars. They rub just slightly on the insider aft portion of the front fender wells but it could be easily trimmed since it's just some plastic... just waiting for it to cool down to do so if I even do... It's not really hurting anything.

If I could do it again I would lift the front end 2.5" to completely level the truck... maybe SVC's but they weren't available when I got my truck.