Leer Bed Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow-up.
After another 100 miles, I checked the hardware, and most of it did take another 1/8 turn or so. I just got back from a 1,200 mile road trip and everything was still tight, so I think it’s all set now.

I’ve had it through several rains, including a couple at highway speeds, and I’m getting zero water inside. I did add the gasket that @Troutrad recommended. I’m not sure how much it’s actually doing since it seemed pretty watertight before, but it was cheap and a pretty easy install.

I washed it today, to get all the road-trip grime off, and intentionally shot the hose at the sides, at a 90 degree angle that it’ll never see from actual rain. Once I had it all dried off, I opened the tailgate to check, and there was no water inside.

I have found that the tailgate seal does take a better set when you close the top on a closed tailgate. So, while you do have the option of closing either the top or the tailgate last, I think I will end up at least popping the top up to close the tailgate, and then dropping the top. It seems like the waterproofing will work better that way.

Overall, I’m happy with it so far.

OP
OP
GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GunMonkeyINTL, thanks for all the great info! What made you go for the 350 instead of the 650? My local tonneau cover dealer is recommending the HF650M over the Bakflip MX4 and I honestly don't have much knowledge of tonneau covers in the first place.

https://www.leer.com/tonneau-cover/h650m

hf650m-(2)-min.jpg

Honestly, when I decided I wanted one, I could find the 350 and not the 650. If I’d found the 650, I’d probably have gone that way if for no other reason than that it’s four sections instead of three, so it doesn’t stick up as high in the fully up position.

That said, I just watched the video install of the 650 in your link, and it does look like it’s a slightly different design. It appears that it’s closer to flush- maybe 1/2” shorter or so.

But it also looks like the rails are different. It looks like the 650 just lays on top of the rail, rather than having a seal that lays in a depression of the rail. I would question if that’s as water right as the 350.

Otherwise, the panel material looks the same from what I can tell, and the mounting and latching appear to be the same.

rac10000

Reaction score
Honestly, when I decided I wanted one, I could find the 350 and not the 650. If I’d found the 650, I’d probably have gone that way if for no other reason than that it’s four sections instead of three, so it doesn’t stick up as high in the fully up position.

That said, I just watched the video install of the 650 in your link, and it does look like it’s a slightly different design. It appears that it’s closer to flush- maybe 1/2” shorter or so.

But it also looks like the rails are different. It looks like the 650 just lays on top of the rail, rather than having a seal that lays in a depression of the rail. I would question if that’s as water right as the 350.

Otherwise, the panel material looks the same from what I can tell, and the mounting and latching appear to be the same.

Thank you! Great to know. I will ask my local dealer about the rail design and if it's more prone to leaking.

Stilldoggy

Reaction score
As related. Good write up. Great pics. Trying to unload my CamLocker Toolbox for cash or trade to fit a cover on my gal. Toolbox came with but I just don't dig it.