Leaky rear output seal normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just got back from a dealership service visit. They took a look at some fluid splatter from the rear output transfer case area, assuming the seal needed to be replaced. You can see in the photos there is some oil splattered onto the underside of the body all around like it was spitting from the driveshaft spinning. Also that shaft is oily. It doesn’t seem bad at all, but certainly not normal. The service advisor said it is normal and that there was nothing to fix. I want to believe him but I feel like there’s no way that is a normal thing, is it?

Vehicle is a 19 with 17k miles. I bought it used still under full warranty last week.

Thanks all

Attachments

• 52510F95-0AAE-46C0-B054-B08D7FA874C8.jpeg
    52510F95-0AAE-46C0-B054-B08D7FA874C8.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
OP
OP
Raptorbert

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, dealers may consider a "seep" normal. it is subjective.
I cleaned it up and will keep an eye on it. If it starts seeping again I might just tackle it myself. Took them 4.5hrs ( I waited) to replace a battery, check door gaskets coolant drain and that seep only to replace the battery and send me home)

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just got back from a dealership service visit. They took a look at some fluid splatter from the rear output transfer case area, assuming the seal needed to be replaced. You can see in the photos there is some oil splattered onto the underside of the body all around like it was spitting from the driveshaft spinning. Also that shaft is oily. It doesn’t seem bad at all, but certainly not normal. The service advisor said it is normal and that there was nothing to fix. I want to believe him but I feel like there’s no way that is a normal thing, is it?

Vehicle is a 19 with 17k miles. I bought it used still under full warranty last week.

Thanks all
It’s a slip yoke, it’s normal to have some oil on the yoke as it moves on the output shaft. Some of that will inadvertently come off as it turns, which is what you see.