Leaf Spring Recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

javelinas_10

Reaction score
I work in the oil field and use my 2013 Raptor for traveling rig to rig. I travel down some pretty crazy wash board roads. I upgraded to Fox 2.5 DSC coilovers and shocks to help “soften” the ride a bit. Now i wanna upgrade my leaf springs but want any suggestions on a preference you may have that encounter the same type of roads i do. So far I’m reading that Deaver are pretty good. And if you can recommend someone who can possibly quote me with a good price I’d appreciate it too, thanks!

OP
OP
javelinas_10

javelinas_10

Reaction score
I run the ICON leaf pack. Amazing setup and it comes with the OEM bump stop extensions so you don’t have to purchase separately.

View attachment 164142

View attachment 164143
How dramatic was the ride difference after you added leaf springs? Thats a sweet looking setup by the way. Also, what size is recommend cause I dont ever have anything in bed of my truck so not sure if back end will sit higher than front with specific sice.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The folks on this forum are great at suspension brand suggestions but really really really suck at configuration. Your best bet is to call Icon and/or Deaver and talk to their tech...describe what you want to accomplish and take their suggestion...maybe cross check with a local suspension expert. The guys on here mostly tell you to go Geiser/Deaver +3. Fine for some but wildly inappropriate for others. The best thing I did to my truck suspension was to ignore every bit of advice on every forum and worked directly with Deaver. Very very happy with the outcome.

Suspension mods are one of the most expensive and personal things you'll do to your truck...take the time, do the research and get it right the first time.

OP
OP
javelinas_10

javelinas_10

Reaction score
The folks on this forum are great at suspension brand suggestions but really really really suck at configuration. Your best bet is to call Icon and/or Deaver and talk to their tech...describe what you want to accomplish and take their suggestion...maybe cross check with a local suspension expert. The guys on here mostly tell you to go Geiser/Deaver +3. Fine for some but wildly inappropriate for others. The best thing I did to my truck suspension was to ignore every bit of advice on every forum and worked directly with Deaver. Very very happy with the outcome.

Suspension mods are one of the most expensive and personal things you'll do to your truck...take the time, do the research and get it right the first time.
Really appreciate the feedback, i guess why not talk to the experts themselves lol.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Darn! I was just going to tell him to get what 99.999% of people on this forum get because that is what most people "need" for their Raptors. You had a very specific situation, so of course, it made sense for you to call them. ;)

They make a common set of Raptor leaf springs that will work for the washboard / oil field situation the OP described. They will be either Deaver +2s if he wants to maintain factory height or Deaver +3s if he wants to be +1 over factory height. If he plans to tow heavy or will be carrying a 500+ lb load in his bed, they will recommend HD leaf springs which provide a stiffer ride when unloaded.

Last edited:

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been on a lot of those oilfield washboards in southeast NM and west TX, they are way worse in a standard F150 haha! Empty bed doesn't help either. Aftermarket springs likely will but even then you'll likely need to experiment some with tire pressure and adding weight back there, even if it's just a few sandbags. 37's might help but are expensive and open up another can of worms. Good luck!

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darn! I was just going to tell him to get what 99.999% of people on this forum get because that is what most people "need" for their Raptors. You had a very specific situation, so of course, it made sense for you to call them. ;)

They make a common set of Raptor leaf springs that will work for the washboard / oil field situation the OP described. They will be either Deaver +2s if he wants to maintain factory height or Deaver +3s if he wants to be +1 over factory height. If he plans to tow heavy or will be carrying a 500+ lb load in his bed, they will recommend HD leaf springs which provide a stiffer ride when unloaded.

Maybe...and this is what I'm talking about. I also wanted to carry 500lb and they DID NOT suggest what you did. The pre packaged leaf packs are considered progressive and the stock spring packs are considered 2 stage. Sometimes a progressive is appropriate, sometimes a progressive, sometimes a rearched stock 2 stage with additional leafs. There is not a one size fits all. There is not a standard SD or HD pack based on weight carrying requirements. There are many variables that need to be considered when choosing springs and other suspension parts. Im not an expert which is why I always advise talking to the techs at Deaver or Icon. The most important thing is to make sure you know what you're going for. On road ride, off road ride, towing, load carrying, all the above or specific dedicated purpose. It all matters and suggesting that a standard pack based on load carrying requirements is not good advice.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Icon leaf springs and love them. Completely changed the ride quality in back. They come with an extra leaf that can be added to the pack and although they’re supposed to be stock height without it, my truck was lifted over an inch in back even without the overload leaf and I needed to get a lowering shackle. With my front coilovers cranked up to about where top perch would be and with the lowering shackle, it sits perfectly level and clears my 37’s with no rubbing anywhere off-road. I completely disagree that 37’s are a pain in the ass to make work. All I did was hammer the rear bedside pinch welds and have never had any tire contact even at full lock through whoops