JANUARY 2012 Raptor Of The Month Contest ==DUSK to DAWN==

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is one.. I will try for more tomorrow and edit this post... Cleaned all day and the sun was behind the clouds...
Raptoratsunset006.jpg

Last edited:

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Ok guys I took some as soon as I got off work. I think I may have a winner

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Here are some
IMG_4745.jpgIMG_4740.jpgIMG_4736.jpg

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
"JP7"

This is really a nice shot.

382954_10150577108029283_661084282_10937872_1191180742_n.jpg

All our cameras still look at black and white and all the shades of grey in between. So shooting a black Raptor in White Snow is very hard to do. So " I Think " your first shot of the black Raptor and the white snow with just the touch of blue skies is great but - the camera struggled to find the correct color balance/exposure and your Raptor turned out a strange color and being so close to the camera the depth of field threw the Raptor out of focus. It's still a great shot but, your last shot is even better. In my opinion.

405814_10150577113304283_661084282_10937906_265770655_n.jpg

This is because of the way you composed it with your Raptor being in the lower third of the frame and along with the white snow and blue skies the camera had the red tail lights and the trees to help in getting the exposure better and making the black Raptor a correct color. This is a really nice shot and very well done. One of my favs!

Thanks for the advice Mictouch! I'm still learning about digital cameras and how they don't work well in low light conditions.

Ok guys I took some as soon as I got off work. I think I may have a winner

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Here are some
IMG_4745.jpgIMG_4740.jpgIMG_4736.jpg

Number 3 has my vote

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
I'm still learning about digital cameras and how they don't work well in low light conditions.

That is only true without a tripod. Cameras actually prefer lower light situations but require longer shutter speeds or faster lenses.

A quick lesson in what lighting can do to your image....
The reason lighting is so important is because brighter objects come out at you subconsciously. Notice a difference in this image versus the original? All I did was two selective changes of the levels. Sorry for using your shot as a the demo JP, feel free to use it if you like! :waytogo:

i-mjVnDRr-L.jpg

382954_10150577108029283_661084282_10937872_1191180742_n.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

WHT,
I like lake shot with the reflection but I like the composition of #3 the best. Any chance you know how to remove that power line?

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
That is only true without a tripod. Cameras actually prefer lower light situations but require longer shutter speeds or faster lenses.

A quick lesson in what lighting can do to your image....
The reason lighting is so important is because brighter objects come out at you subconsciously. Notice a difference in this image versus the original? All I did was two selective changes of the levels. Sorry for using your shot as a the demo JP, feel free to use it if you like! :waytogo:

Thanks CineSLR. I'm always receptive to learning new things, and I did understand about the tripod helping for low light. I still kinda think Digitals don't like facing the sun when shooting though! But I have a lot to learn about filters and other tricks like exposure and levels.

And I do see the difference in the two shots - the second brings a higher level of detail.
And also shows my truck as dirtier - even though I washed it that morning...

Marine on Land

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The newer digital slr cameras, and probably hand helds are making leaps and bounds with regards to how they handle low light. I.e., you can change your iso settings (the cameras sensitivity to light) to what was once a big no-no in print journalism. I try to keep my camera set at 2-400. Now, the new canons can roll all the way up to 20,000 and have little issues with quality etc. blows my freakin mind!

See below for a copied exert on ISO settings.

In traditional (film) photography ISO (or ASA) was the indication of how sensitive a film was to light. It was measured in numbers (you’ve probably seen them on films – 100, 200, 400, 800 etc). The lower the number the lower the sensitivity of the film and the finer the grain in the shots you’re taking.
In Digital Photography ISO measures the sensitivity of the image sensor. The same principles apply as in film photography – the lower the number the less sensitive your camera is to light and the finer the grain. Higher ISO settings are generally used in darker situations to get faster shutter speeds (for example an indoor sports event when you want to freeze the action in lower light) – however the cost is noisier shots. I.e., you lose quality in the photo.

Read more: ISO Settings in Digital Photography

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
damn mine are gonna suck compared to the ones here.... but what the hell.. took these on the cell phone while driving and i had been on the road for about 13 hours straight.

rvzjm8.jpg

2rmxmhd.jpg