IWE WTF FYI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine went out 5 miles out of dealership in August in Minnesota. High 80’s. So it’s whenever and whatever weather. Just a known bad part they keep putting in new trucks. Very disappointed.

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had this problem every 6 month. My dealer performed the TSB last October 2019 and in 2021 its back. I’ve just about had it with this truck. It’s loud and clearly in 4a because MPGs have dropped also. Anyone know if the tsb has been updated?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you want it to work, and the factory parts aren't getting it done- quit putting more factory parts on there. You are counting on a bunch of rubber and plastic to actuate the IWEs. Neither material is durable in this application. It's like BMW and their bizarre usage of plastic throughout their cooling systems, which leads to tons of failures with age.

Everything the factory put on the truck to control the IWEs can be duplicated with higher quality parts and materials that won't fail on the regular. Vacuum is used in industry. You can get it all in cooper, SS, Aluminum, whatever. Nitrile seals, all the good materials. The OEM stuff is junk compared to real parts that cost real money.

Last edited:

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had this problem every 6 month. My dealer performed the TSB last October 2019 and in 2021 its back. I’ve just about had it with this truck. It’s loud and clearly in 4a because MPGs have dropped also. Anyone know if the tsb has been updated?

I just went through all of this myself as I have been in four times for IWE "grinding". 1st time was check valve, 2nd time I replaced the check valve myself, 3rd time dealership replaced all IWE components (check valve, solenoids, actuators, and hubs) under original TSB. I went in the 4th time because "grinding" always happening in 2wd, on deceleration, and notably when making slight turns (not sharp turns).

I even talked with the Ford service engineer (FSE), which is who the service dept. talks to when they can't figure out the right fix. I was told there are no longer recommending the current TSB service but there's no updated TSB either, other than what they are doing to non-Raptor F150's. The FSE stated "the noise is deemed a characteristic of the vehicle".

Here were the options offered to me (I have 2017 SCAB with 73,000).
1. Ignore the noise - there is no true fix to remove the noise
2. Constantly grease the bearings whenever the noise comes back, short term fix and may last 30 miles or 30,000 - no one knows
3. Remove vacuum supply to the IWEs and cap the lines (TSB 20-2307) - there is no guarantee capping off the vacuum supply will not cause a problem in the future since the truck has a TORSEN front axle, but FSE doesn't think there will be an issue other than a slight decrease in gas mileage.

I chose option #3 and if I destroy the TORSEN then I will replace it. I can't stand the noise and tired of no one being able to fix it for good.

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through all of this myself as I have been in four times for IWE "grinding". 1st time was check valve, 2nd time I replaced the check valve myself, 3rd time dealership replaced all IWE components (check valve, solenoids, actuators, and hubs) under original TSB. I went in the 4th time because "grinding" always happening in 2wd, on deceleration, and notably when making slight turns (not sharp turns).

I even talked with the Ford service engineer (FSE), which is who the service dept. talks to when they can't figure out the right fix. I was told there are no longer recommending the current TSB service but there's no updated TSB either, other than what they are doing to non-Raptor F150's. The FSE stated "the noise is deemed a characteristic of the vehicle".

Here were the options offered to me (I have 2017 SCAB with 73,000).
1. Ignore the noise - there is no true fix to remove the noise
2. Constantly grease the bearings whenever the noise comes back, short term fix and may last 30 miles or 30,000 - no one knows
3. Remove vacuum supply to the IWEs and cap the lines (TSB 20-2307) - there is no guarantee capping off the vacuum supply will not cause a problem in the future since the truck has a TORSEN front axle, but FSE doesn't think there will be an issue other than a slight decrease in gas mileage.

I chose option #3 and if I destroy the TORSEN then I will replace it. I can't stand the noise and tired of no one being able to fix it for good.

Yup, pretty much identical experience on my end as well. I have an extra check valve that I'll likely install. My dealer ordered new solenoids as that was the only thing that wasn't replaced in the last TSB. He said if the noise comes back, then he'll condemn the front end and do a full replacement of those parts. I would think a recall would at least be in order for those trucks that have the symptoms.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We be cool if we could retrofit the 2021 electric IWE but we would need to swap a few other modules atleast. Not really worth it at that point. I’ll just keep A few extra valves for now.