IWE line check - still troubleshooting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OhMyJosh

Reaction score
I had the notorious metal rattle noise upon acceleration and a check 4x4 light. I replaced the vacuum line and solenoid in the engine bay but that didn’t do the trick. Crawled underneath to find out that the braided line for the brakes was worn down all the way to the bare metal. I don’t think this would be the source of my problem because they’re independent systems, correct?
image.jpg

PoolManRaptor87

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the notorious rattle on accel as well. Just replaced both iwes(along with front struts and shocks), and ran new tubing for the vacuum lines. Sound is completely gone. While replacing iwes I found my passenger side vacuum line was broken, and the lines were brittle as hell. I got 1/4 inch irrigation tubing from home Depot and vacuum fittings from local auto parts store. Also reused the plastic that was on the original lines. Will take some pics. Highly advise replacing iwes and all lines if you havnt yet. Very easy job. My 2011 expedition makes the same sounds, will be doing that next later this week. That's why I got 100ft of tubing. PXL_20230806_223912417~2.jpgPXL_20230806_223957723~2.jpgPXL_20230806_224006843~2.jpgPXL_20230806_223920630~2.jpgPXL_20230806_223851419~2.jpg

PoolManRaptor87

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it just a vacuum line but is that strong and heat resistant enough?
Guess I'll find out!
I reused the plastic wire managers over the stock lines to protect it from the heat a little.
It's actually much thicker and stronger than the actual vacuum lines I found locally, which is why I went this route. IWE system funs off very little vacuum too which I'm sure helps. No problems yet. Lines seem to keep their strength while warm. No problems yet but if I run into any you guys will be first to know!

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Guess I'll find out!
I reused the plastic wire managers over the stock lines to protect it from the heat a little.
It's actually much thicker and stronger than the actual vacuum lines I found locally, which is why I went this route. IWE system funs off very little vacuum too which I'm sure helps. No problems yet. Lines seem to keep their strength while warm. No problems yet but if I run into any you guys will be first to know!

Good to hear. Seems like a good alternative to the oem ones.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I recently replaced my IWEs and the lines too.
Had thoughts of buying replacement line kit or the silicone aftermarket (until I saw $$), then used tubing and a couple elbows and fittings from local parts store. Stuff I used is more flexible and pliable than stock stuff. A couple zip ties here and there. Old stuff was crispy and crunchy.