Where to begin... IWE noise? rat damage? oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Definite rodent damage. My guess would be they chewed through one of your vacuum lines, resulting in your IWEs partially engaging.

Brandin10

Reaction score
The rubbing / humming noise definitely sounds like IWE issues to me. I have replaced mine 3 times. Seems to be an issue in winter time during cold weather. Sounds similar to rubbing brake noise at low speed. Engaging 4A will make the noise dissappear.

OP
OP
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Got the truck back from the dealer last night.

They were unable to replicate the noise from the front end, so they charged me 125.00 for the time they spent driving it around, lol. I would have been more aggravated but I had the service manager ride with me and of course the damn thing wouldn't do it. Since then, it's maybe done it once. Will keep an eye on it. Manager really had no idea but they duplicated the vacuum test and confirmed no leak.

Both the driver and passenger valve covers were leaking oil so they replaced those under 60k powertrain warranty. My truck is at 46k.

When I dropped it off, I told them that I heard a clacking noise as soon as I let off the accelerator. They called me back and told me this was knocking due to air coming in through the valve cover leaks. That sounded somewhat suspect to me, but said that the valve cover replacement would fix it.

This is what it now sounds like under the hood, and I'm assuming this is more what they heard rather than the more distinct clacking/knocking/rattle immediately after letting off the accelerator.

In any case, it's obviously still there.

No mouse droppings so I think that was probably old and unrelated to anything else that's going on.

My current line of thinking is: Could be IWE actuator that's bad or front diff or transfer case noise on the front end. regarding the engine knocking, i've read a few things but most point to the cam phasers + a few related things. That dealer clearly isn't going to fix the issue so I'll probably try another Ford dealer.

Thanks everyone for all the help. Any thoughts appreciated.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is that noise from the engine from after you picked it up from the dealer or before? If it's after, you better go to another Ford dealer and get things checked over. :snoopfacepalm:

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
That doesn't sound healthy to me, agree with CoronaRaptor, time to see another Dealer.

Hopefully a Dealer that employees qualified technicians that care enough to do the job properly.

OP
OP
Reaction score
Is that noise from the engine from after you picked it up from the dealer or before? If it's after, you better go to another Ford dealer and get things checked over. :snoopfacepalm:

unfortunately that is after the dealer. i definitely am taking it somewhere else, and i'm not paying more diagnostic fees to look at something under warranty. i have a bad feeling these are going to be nagging issues. i hope i'm proven wrong.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
unfortunately that is after the dealer. i definitely am taking it somewhere else, and i'm not paying more diagnostic fees to look at something under warranty. i have a bad feeling these are going to be nagging issues. i hope i'm proven wrong.
Just try and be nice but have as much information as possible with you when you go. Most SA's wont mind you sending them your video's for attachments, etc. The mechanics like this as then they get first hand knowledge instead of misrepresentation which can occur on the work orders. Make sure your concerns are written down correctly as well. Good luck.

OP
OP
Reaction score
Just try and be nice but have as much information as possible with you when you go. Most SA's wont mind you sending them your video's for attachments, etc. The mechanics like this as then they get first hand knowledge instead of misrepresentation which can occur on the work orders. Make sure your concerns are written down correctly as well. Good luck.

For sure. Being negative doesn't make anyone want to work for you.

OP
OP
Reaction score
UPDATE:

When I dropped it off, I told them that I heard a clacking noise as soon as I let off the accelerator. They called me back and told me this was knocking due to air coming in through the valve cover leaks. That sounded somewhat suspect to me, but said that the valve cover replacement would fix it.

This is what it now sounds like under the hood, and I'm assuming this is more what they heard rather than the more distinct clacking/knocking/rattle immediately after letting off the accelerator.

I was able to get a good recording of the noise I'm getting when I let off the throttle.

Ideas?

Also this is the front left wheel noise. This is a very short burst. Usually it will go on for a few seconds.