Where to begin... IWE noise? rat damage? oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That noise is very distinct, they should be able to isolate that relatively easily.

I’d suggest having someone rev the engine to induce the noise while you observe the wastegates. If the noise coincides with the movement of a wastegate, then the linkage or actuator is at fault.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That first video should be a no-brainer for a tech if it's doing that consistently, I couldn't hear anything in the 2nd video, but my laptop has crap for speakers.

OP
OP
Reaction score
Clack, clack, clack, clack, clack...ka-boom !

Lol, that's what I'm afraid of.

Last night I remembered that a coworker of mine also has a 2018 Raptor. I went to his place and recorded his engine sound followed by my own. After hearing his engine, skip forward to :35 to hear mine. I wanted to have this video before going to the new dealership on Tuesday. I have read a lot of stories about people being told that the new-onset diesel sound is normal.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol, that's what I'm afraid of.

Last night I remembered that a coworker of mine also has a 2018 Raptor. I went to his place and recorded his engine sound followed by my own. After hearing his engine, skip forward to :35 to hear mine. I wanted to have this video before going to the new dealership on Tuesday. I have read a lot of stories about people being told that the new-onset diesel sound is normal.

From your video, those both sound normal. The engine sound will change depending on which fuel system the truck is running on; DI or PFI. When the engine is running on PFI, the HPFP is essentially dead headed, which results in the "clack-clack" noise since the fuel pressure is ~2000 PSI with zero flow.

OP
OP
Reaction score
From your video, those both sound normal. The engine sound will change depending on which fuel system the truck is running on; DI or PFI. When the engine is running on PFI, the HPFP is essentially dead headed, which results in the "clack-clack" noise since the fuel pressure is ~2000 PSI with zero flow.
Is it normal to sound like that 100% of the time?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would say that the squirrel that chewed my engine cover and cost me $1k in repairs to my front wheel sensor and wiring traveled to your place and started again, however I have 100% confidence that mine died of lead poisoning shortly after...

Good luck.....

OP
OP
Reaction score
How have you gauged 100% of the time? As far as the comparison, what lead you to do it? Is the difference that audible outside of the truck?
100% meaning every time I've listened, which is now quite a lot at all different times.

I first noticed when I started working under the hood looking for a vacuum leak in the IWE system a few weeks ago. I was also hearing another abnormal noise while driving that I posted earlier in the thread. When I took it to the dealer they told me they were hearing a knock secondary to air coming through the defective valve cover/gasket. Clearly that's not the case.

I know that it didn't always sound like this, but when it first started I'm not sure. It's not very noticeable in the cab. The front end noise and leaking valve covers kind of kicked this all off. I just want to get everything fixed while it's still under warranty. Too many people with too many problems for me to ignore the fact that my truck sounds the way it does.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Reaction score
UPDATE 3/4/21

Took it to another dealer. Regarding both of the engine noises, they think it is related to the cam phasers. Apparently there is a new PCM update for the F150 to address cam phasers. The Raptor update won't be available until May. Ford engineering told them to do the PCM update in May when it's available. If that doesn't fix the issue they will replace the cam phasers. Apparently cam phaser warranty has been extended to 69,000 miles. I'm not sure which models this applies to. The tech seemed to think that a letter may be sent out.