Its that time of year again, doors wont close when cold outside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flash1034

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replied to the other thread with the fix my Ford dealer did; My passenger front started doing this on my 2018. They filled the door cables with fuel line antifreeze/additive. I have had zero issues since. Latches are original and were not replaced or cleaned. I let it sit outside for 36 hours in temps ranging from -2°F to a high of 20°F with no problems.

A friend of mine is a service advisor for a BMW dealer and they have the same issue with the door cables.

The door latches function on our trucks when it’s cold. It’s the cables that are giving us grief.

What antifreeze did they use on the door cables?

lifeline

Reaction score
The issue is not the latches so spraying the latches won't help, the issue is the moisture inside the cable housing. You use force to pull the cable one way through the cable housing when opening the door but there is not enough force within the handle to pull the cable back through the frozen moisture within the cable housing so the door can't latch as it is stuck in the open position. I injected wd40 into the cable housing after taking the handle out of the door and then used compressed air to blow it through. Have not had a problem since.

KillerBlackbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue is not the latches so spraying the latches won't help, the issue is the moisture inside the cable housing. You use force to pull the cable one way through the cable housing when opening the door but there is not enough force within the handle to pull the cable back through the frozen moisture within the cable housing so the door can't latch as it is stuck in the open position. I injected wd40 into the cable housing after taking the handle out of the door and then used compressed air to blow it through. Have not had a problem since.

This.

The latch is 100% functional in the cold, it’s the cable. My dealer didn’t even remove or clean the OEM grease from the latch, they still have sand and grime on it from previous.

I know there are quite a few BMW owners with the exact same issue.

ATRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It won’t happen if it’s above freezing. 15 min on remote start and it’s warm enough where it doesn’t happen.

False. I've had this occur several times in the past and back to back remote start sessions had zero effect.

Larry Jeffords

Reaction score
13 degrees this morning. Driver's side opens, passenger's side front door is frozen. Back to the dealer Monday for the fifth time. So freakin' frustrating.

KillerBlackbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
13 degrees this morning. Driver's side opens, passenger's side front door is frozen. Back to the dealer Monday for the fifth time. So freakin' frustrating.

Did the dealer flush and fill your door cables or just replace them? It’s interesting to see what works and doesn’t.

Larry Jeffords

Reaction score
It is my understanding that the last time it was in just a few weeks ago, they did all four doors. Passengers front door will still not open and its 23 degrees now.