Its that time of year again, doors wont close when cold outside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To my brother and sister Raptor owners I share my experience. As we speak my 2018 Raptor is sitting in the body shop for the 5th or 6th time for the same problem - frozen locks/latches. I bought it new in January 2018 and have racked up 12,000 miles. It gets the best care and maintenance it could possible get. Yes - I'm a ***** about it. It was my dream truck.

Both recalls have been done without success. It went to the shop last week and they dismantled the doors, blew them out, lubricated cables and reassembled. The following morning it was two degrees and they worked fine and I thought it was finally fixed. The next morning it was 23 degrees and the doors would not latch. I was pissed and called the dealer. To their credit, they told me to bring it right in and they would have a truck for me to take in 30 minutes. (I have a great dealership with great people. Ford needs to get their heads out of their asses.)

This is a $72k truck which shouldn't matter. I've been told I wash it too much which is BS. I have been told that it should be garaged during the winter which is BS. I have been told I need to let it run for 15-20 minutes when it's cold which is BS. I have been told that there are over a million vehicles affected by this issue and it would cost Ford a fortune to repair them. Well...you've made a fortune off of me and millions like me. Time to stand behind your product.

It is an awesome truck and I love the looks and compliments but this issue has me thinking it's time to unload it.

I could not agree more and how frustrating. I am lucky and only had to have my doors done once after not staying shut and then driving in -10 below weather in Minnesota to a dealership that was 18 miles away. I felt awesome in my $60k+ truck holding the door :GetMoney:

Larry Jeffords

Reaction score
I'm fortunate to be about 10 minutes from my dealership. As much as I would like to try some of the ideas posted on this forum, I have dug my heels in and will return the truck to the dealer every day if I have to. It is Ford's problem to resolve - not the end user. Plus I don't want to do anything that they would have to undo or give them cause to blame me for using an unapproved chemical application. Not like I'm without a vehicle - I have a jeep to run errands with.

Corry

Reaction score
Had the same problem last week Took it to the dealer and they applied black silicon to seal it off. Which you can now see on the outside of the vehicle and my truck is white. Now they have to figure out how to remove the silicone so its not visible on all four door handle areas. What a mess this is going to be. So pissed. My doors have not froze however Although I would rather have that issue again over this.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wind noise, wavy stampings around the handles, freezing locks and doors that won't latch have been an issue with all 13th gen F150s starting back in 2015. Maybe they'll get it right with the 14th gen trucks. They are using the same cab/doors in the Superduties so they will have even more people bitching about it soon.

All trucks have issues. The 12th gen F150s had the leaky 3rd brake light and rear window issues. The 13th gen F150s have door and dashboard issues. Pick any brand and generation of truck, and the long time owners can easily name a half dozen common problems for that truck.

Larry Jeffords

Reaction score
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but from what I have been told NOTHING has been changed in the 2020 F150 design. Next redesign is set for 2021. This translates to "we expect nothing different in the 2020's". How sad is that. The day will come when Ford will pay for this debacle literally and in sales. I can't imagine trying to work through this with an uncooperative dealership.

Last edited:

ATRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same problem last week Took it to the dealer and they applied black silicon to seal it off. Which you can now see on the outside of the vehicle and my truck is white. Now they have to figure out how to remove the silicone so its not visible on all four door handle areas. What a mess this is going to be. So pissed. My doors have not froze however Although I would rather have that issue again over this.

Same here- I couldn't believe THAT'S the fix!? It looks like a 5 year old did mine.

KillerBlackbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replied to the other thread with the fix my Ford dealer did; My passenger front started doing this on my 2018. They filled the door cables with fuel line antifreeze/additive. I have had zero issues since. Latches are original and were not replaced or cleaned. I let it sit outside for 36 hours in temps ranging from -2°F to a high of 20°F with no problems.

A friend of mine is a service advisor for a BMW dealer and they have the same issue with the door cables.

The door latches function on our trucks when it’s cold. It’s the cables that are giving us grief.