Is this rust a deal breaker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That truck is just too far gone! Yeah you could buy it (a lot f'n cheaper) and replace the panels yourself if you can weld, but the resale is horrible. Drive it like you stole it for a few years.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless you own a body shop, and you wouldn't be asking if you did, run away from that.

I was actually painting that rocker seam on mine with rust convertor last weekend before I put some different steps/boards on it. Mine still looks nearly new and the truck had seen winter prior to me and some while I owned it, but no more.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your already well advised. But any raptor with rust anywhere on the rockers is a no go, its only going to get worse and probably do so quickly. Those panels you see are rusted through from the back side, if you see paint bubbling or rust coming through the paint find a different raptor.

These trucks aren't exactly new any more, but its easy enough to find one with no rust issues.

BlkOvl

Reaction score
With so many strong “NO’s” already, I figured I’d offer an alternative view.

No, sorry, can’t do it. That rust is cringeworthy. You’d experience less angst spending $10k more to get the right truck.

85eurocarrera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great pics, though.

what product are people using to protect against rust? Mine is clean, but it’s going to be exposed to MN winters here on out.
Thanks.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great pics, though.

what product are people using to protect against rust? Mine is clean, but it’s going to be exposed to MN winters here on out.
Thanks.

I used Woolwax, it's a newer version of Fluidfilm. I just finished the first winter, it worked really well.

To OP, I guess you got your answer. Like was said, once you can see a lot of it, count on there being a lot more that you don't see right away.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great pics, though.

Thanks.
I've used fluid film for 10 plus years on my OG raptor, there's no rust except on my deavers and my aftermarket bumpstop kit (outlaw), but I'm going to wirewheel the ******* out of those this spring and try priming and painting them and then see how they hold up.