Is my truck ruined? (road salt)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the aluminum will corrode, the Gen 2 is a bit too new to know just how much and where this will start to happen. Lets all hope the the salt does not affect the paint over the aluminum to the degree that it would if it were steel.

OP
OP
C

CraigATX

Reaction score
OP
OP
C

CraigATX

Reaction score
Thanks all! I will try the suggestions you all gave. I am hoping this is only a one-time thing for Texas as I can't remember the last time I had to deal with roads like that in this state...decades at least for me. I'll get the truck clean tomorrow and then will update if I see any issues. Again, hoping this is the last I see of salted roads for the raptor for a while!

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Thanks all! I will try the suggestions you all gave. I am hoping this is only a one-time thing for Texas as I can't remember the last time I had to deal with roads like that in this state...decades at least for me. I'll get the truck clean tomorrow and then will update if I see any issues. Again, hoping this is the last I see of salted roads for the raptor for a while!

Well, I wouldn't worry about it in the least. Rust is not a thing down here. It was only a few days, it's not like we spin up the salt for 6 months out of the year. It's a few days every 3 or 4 years. Only cars I've seen with rust came from the rustbelt.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're fine, man. Half of the country gets 20x your dosing of salt and never thinks about it. My .02: Put a sprinkler under the truck and move it around every 30-45 min or so. Do this for an entire Saturday or Sunday while you work around the house/garage. Let it dry overnight. Next day, climb underneath and apply some FluidFilm to anything that looks like it might need corrosion protection (axle, frame, and leaves in particular). Your garage will smell like a barn for 3 days but you'll be well protected. Do not wear clothes you care about while under the truck with Fluid Film.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All great suggestions here. I got one of these and it does an excellent job of cleaning the underside after the winter *****.

I forgot to mention that, I have one of those too.

View attachment 167114
Not everyone enjoys the smell of a hot wet sheep the way you do ... :eek:

True fact! The Woolwax actually smells like it could be edible, even for someone that is not a freak, like myself.