Is my truck ruined? (road salt)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine. I lived in SW Colorado and they use magnesium chloride and I never had rust issues. A rare snowstorm is nothing for that truck.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're vastly overthinking it. This is what my winter Porsche looks like for 4-5 months per year, and it still looks like new underneath. This isn't the '70s.

C2972AF6-24CC-4BEE-A827-495A4D4AC25C_1_105_c.jpeg

Fireguy144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vehicles last for decades up in the rust belt. The biggest issue is rusty steel body panels. Not an issue with aluminum body panels.

I would just give your Raptor a good cleaning, then forget about it.

The truck will last many, many years.
Your right...steel corrode... but s I does aluminum.

OP
OP
C

CraigATX

Reaction score
Some of ya'll are pretty funny. :)

Seriously though, thank you for addressing my question and easing my concerns. I am someone who will overthink things like this, so the reassurance and information really helps. Like I said, I have zero experience with caring for vehicles driven on salty roads.

I ended up washing the entire truck after taking care of business earlier in the day. It took me about 8 hours.

I washed the bottom of the truck four times to try and cover everything: once with power washer only, then foam cannon and power washer again, then with handheld hose/soap sprayer to reach hard to reach places, and finally used a ryobi water broom to spray the undercarriage. (not that effective) I used a scrub brush to agitate areas where it seemed to have more build up. I still don't think it's as clean as it could be.

After everything dried, there appears to be a lot of areas with rust. However, based on the info in this thread, I assume this to be normal. While I was under there, I also noticed a piece of insulation (?) that appears to be loose. Maybe someone on here knows what it is. I'll add a link to a page with pictures below.

Rust Example:

1VrJLiR.jpg

The Truck:

4hVhUIh.jpg

All of the rust pics from the undercarriage: https://imgur.com/a/i1sllfw

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of ya'll are pretty funny. :)

Seriously though, thank you for addressing my question and easing my concerns. I am someone who will overthink things like this, so the reassurance and information really helps. Like I said, I have zero experience with caring for vehicles driven on salty roads.

I ended up washing the entire truck after taking care of business earlier in the day. It took me about 8 hours.

I washed the bottom of the truck four times to try and cover everything: once with power washer only, then foam cannon and power washer again, then with handheld hose/soap sprayer to reach hard to reach places, and finally used a ryobi water broom to spray the undercarriage. (not that effective) I used a scrub brush to agitate areas where it seemed to have more build up. I still don't think it's as clean as it could be.

After everything dried, there appears to be a lot of areas with rust. However, based on the info in this thread, I assume this to be normal. While I was under there, I also noticed a piece of insulation (?) that appears to be loose. Maybe someone on here knows what it is. I'll add a link to a page with pictures below.

Rust Example:

1VrJLiR.jpg

The Truck:

4hVhUIh.jpg

All of the rust pics from the undercarriage: https://imgur.com/a/i1sllfw

I had the same surface rust issue. I used Corroseal Rust Converter. It turns to black. Still looks great.