Is my truck ruined? (road salt)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some of ya'll are pretty funny. :)

Seriously though, thank you for addressing my question and easing my concerns. I am someone who will overthink things like this, so the reassurance and information really helps. Like I said, I have zero experience with caring for vehicles driven on salty roads.

I ended up washing the entire truck after taking care of business earlier in the day. It took me about 8 hours.

I washed the bottom of the truck four times to try and cover everything: once with power washer only, then foam cannon and power washer again, then with handheld hose/soap sprayer to reach hard to reach places, and finally used a ryobi water broom to spray the undercarriage. (not that effective) I used a scrub brush to agitate areas where it seemed to have more build up. I still don't think it's as clean as it could be.

After everything dried, there appears to be a lot of areas with rust. However, based on the info in this thread, I assume this to be normal. While I was under there, I also noticed a piece of insulation (?) that appears to be loose. Maybe someone on here knows what it is. I'll add a link to a page with pictures below.

Rust Example:

1VrJLiR.jpg

The Truck:

4hVhUIh.jpg

All of the rust pics from the undercarriage: https://imgur.com/a/i1sllfw

Truck looks awesome by the way. Spray the rear axle with Woolwax black and the other areas with Fluid Film or Woolwax.

Annual inspection/touch up is all that's needed.

OP
OP
C

CraigATX

Reaction score
I would use as alternative. But you could use FF after you have converted the rust if you want.
Thanks! I like the idea that it can be painted after the rust is neutralized... this might be the route I go as it seems like it might hold up better with more regular washes of my undercarriage.

OP
OP
C

CraigATX

Reaction score
Truck looks awesome by the way. Spray the rear axle with Woolwax black and the other areas with Fluid Film or Woolwax.

Annual inspection/touch up is all that's needed.
Thank you! How does the woolwax hold up to regular power washes of the undercarriage? The reason I ask is that there is a good chance this truck will be hitting the coastal beaches of Texas and will need to be washed off regularly, as I have been invited by friends to come hit the coast along with their jeeps. I'm worried about salty sand sticking to anything that is oily or sticky and not coming off when I do a post-beach undercarriage wash with my pressure washer.

I know I went from freaking out about salty roads to now considering coastal beach driving which is probably worse for the vehicle. :doh2:

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you! How does the woolwax hold up to regular power washes of the undercarriage? The reason I ask is that there is a good chance this truck will be hitting the coastal beaches of Texas and will need to be washed off regularly, as I have been invited by friends to come hit the coast along with their jeeps. I'm worried about salty sand sticking to anything that is oily or sticky and not coming off when I do a post-beach undercarriage wash with my pressure washer.

I know I went from freaking out about salty roads to now considering coastal beach driving which is probably worse for the vehicle. :doh2:
Woolwax and Fluid Film does eventually wash off and that depends on where you live. A lot of rain, snow getting kicked up, sand/off-roading, water fording etc impacts durability. Annual inspection and minor touch up is usually all that's needed in your climate.

OP
OP
C

CraigATX

Reaction score
Woolwax and Fluid Film does eventually wash off and that depends on where you live. A lot of rain, snow getting kicked up, sand/off-roading, water fording etc impacts durability. Annual inspection and minor touch up is usually all that's needed in your climate.
Thank you!