Is my truck ruined? (road salt)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminum Corodes very easily. I work on aircraft and we always Grinding corrosion and treating it. See it all the time. Aluminum body panels will corrode just easily as the steel ones rust. Just di good thorough undercarriage rinsing after winter storms and you be ok. Won't be full proof but you get more yrs out of em

Jedburgh

Reaction score
No worries, brother. I grew up outside of Chicago, and have had plenty more time back in rust city. Early in the game, it was a real problem, but since the advent of 1) double zinc galv and 2) aluminum use, it really tapered off. Still, about 20 years back, I took to using an anti-rust spray from the Eastwood guys. https://www.eastwood.com/paints/rust-solutions/prevention.html I do inside the frame rails, and every ferrous nut/arm/component. In my experience, it works great. I re-up once a season. Takes maybe two hours, less if you have access to a good lift. Best of luck!

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rinse and repeat.

Treat the frame and axles.
Any sign of rust I have used Rust converter.

Aluminum definitely corrodes.