Is it just me? or Does anyone think the Brakes suck..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I felt the OEM brakes were a weak link. I opted for a full set-up from Freedom Motorsports (A forum Vendor here), Rotors, Pads and SS Brake lines and the issue has been cured.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The brakes seem fine to me. My last few F150s had leveling kits and 34" tires and the braking felt similar to my Raptor.I guess it depends what vehicle you're comparing the Raptor to. Of course a smaller, lighter vehicle is going to be easier to stop than a large truck with tires. But it's what I'm used to so the brakes feel normal to me.
The brakes on my 92 Bronco are absolutely horrendous and I still drive it daily. They weren't great to begin with because the 92's only had rear anti-locks. The little stock rotors and calipers to accommodate 15" wheels don't help but adding a 4" lift and tires that are 4" taller than the stock 235/75/15's make it worse. I still love driving it but you have to plan ahead to stop quick.

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(Fade is not as much as the pads getting hot but brake fluid reaching boiling point.)

not true. Fade is hot gasses building up between pads and disc usually due to repeated hard stopping. Hit the pedal and u get little friction

boiling fluid is also due to overheating or sometimes air in the lines or both. When u hit the pedal the pedal goes to the floor

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes I felt the OEM brakes were a wink link. I opted for a full set-up from Freedom Motorsports (A forum Vendor here), Rotors, Pads and SS Brake lines and the issue has been cured.

I totally agree after doing the Freedom Motorsports upgrade.

The OEM brakes work,
but when you start taxing them with a couple of high speed stops they get funky.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow this is the first we've heard about the brakes being a issue...

Sorry, didn't mean to imply the OEM brakes suck, I just tend to get on my truck hard and recognized early on that I would need to upgrade the brakes to provide the stopping power and response I was looking for.

I totally agree after doing the Freedom Motorsports upgrade.

The OEM brakes work,
but when you start taxing them with a couple of high speed stops they get funky.

Agreed. Similar to the OEM leaf springs, yes they work fine, but if you drive your truck hard it quickly becomes a point of issue and luckily can be easily remedied. Freedom has sold hundreds of these brake upgrade kits over the years and their customer service is 2nd to none.

Sethrad

Reaction score
Agree that the brakes are weak. Going to try a brake pad upgrade first: Akebono Street Performance ASP1414 and ASP1790. Should be a big improvement over OEM. If that doesn't work...then the I swap out the brake lines for braided stainless next.

Last edited:

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is your guys main complaint ?
long stopping distances? off road tires
soft pedal? fluid and stainless lines
fade? pads, maybe rotors?
vibrations? rotors

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Well, usually I dont gush about an upgrade right out of the gate, BUT

My truck, on 40s with Alcon brakes...

Stops better than a ferrari 458.

And yes, I have driven one, hard.

Mind=blown. Full endorsement for the Alcon brake package.

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, usually I dont gush about an upgrade right out of the gate, BUT

My truck, on 40s with Alcon brakes...

Stops better than a ferrari 458.

And yes, I have driven one, hard.

Mind=blown. Full endorsement for the Alcon brake package.

hmmm. really even with off road tires? you can have the best brakes but the stopping distance is going to be based on the tires.