Is it just me? or Does anyone think the Brakes suck..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in Southern Virginia. Mine is a 2014 Screw, so I mine is heavier, but would still be willing to attempt to make it happen. That being said, I have quite a few GEN1 customers closer to you that are running that R1 package and have had a few people from NY and Jersey order the package for their GEN2's. But it would be viable to meet in the middle somewhere to put together a comparison between my GEN1 with upgraded brakes compared to a GEN2 with stock parts when you considering the weight difference being in favor of the GEN2

Don't think that's a great comparison, but as others are saying if there's a meetup with two otherwise identical 2017's we should definitely test. I imagine I will want to increase brake pedal tightness (if that's even the word) based on what I've heard from others so if that can only be accomplished by changing rotors and pads I'll do it. And then I can test against a stock 2017 for comparison in stopping distance.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brake pedal tightness or firmness would only be increased through the brake hydraulic system. Changing the rotors and pads would not change that right off the bat. While brake pedal firmness is negatively affected when the fluid boils, gets old or the pads get hot and begin to fade, the only time that initial brake pedal firmness would be affected would be if Ford changed it to a hydroboost system verses the vacuum boost system that is on the GEN1 (knowing that I have not seen the brake system on the GEN2 to confirm that it is vaccum boosted)

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in Southern Virginia. Mine is a 2014 Screw, so I mine is heavier, but would still be willing to attempt to make it happen. That being said, I have quite a few GEN1 customers closer to you that are running that R1 package and have had a few people from NY and Jersey order the package for their GEN2's. But it would be viable to meet in the middle somewhere to put together a comparison between my GEN1 with upgraded brakes compared to a GEN2 with stock parts when you considering the weight difference being in favor of the GEN2

I'm in southern NJ with a gen 2 screw, stock brake setup and would be happy to metope for a comparison if there are other folks interested. I do feel that they are not as good as the stock brakes on my gen 1. I noticed that the first time I tried stopping the gen 2 that there was a difference. Not sure why, or what they changed, but the feel is not as firm or as quick.
I was considering doing a simple EBC upgrade, slotted rotors and green stuff pads, but would consider the R1 set if you thing there is a noticeable difference for the money. Unfortunately, being in NJ doesn't allow me to do high speed desert runs, but I definitely do high speed road runs on 295 and the TP. Let me know if you think $ for $ the R1 is a better setup. I also rarely keep a vehicle for more than 2-3 years, so the lifetime warranty isn't as important to me.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in southern NJ with a gen 2 screw, stock brake setup and would be happy to metope for a comparison if there are other folks interested. I do feel that they are not as good as the stock brakes on my gen 1. I noticed that the first time I tried stopping the gen 2 that there was a difference. Not sure why, or what they changed, but the feel is not as firm or as quick.
I was considering doing a simple EBC upgrade, slotted rotors and green stuff pads, but would consider the R1 set if you thing there is a noticeable difference for the money. Unfortunately, being in NJ doesn't allow me to do high speed desert runs, but I definitely do high speed road runs on 295 and the TP. Let me know if you think $ for $ the R1 is a better setup. I also rarely keep a vehicle for more than 2-3 years, so the lifetime warranty isn't as important to me.

I have many customers who switched from EBC brake setups to the R1 package and never looked back because the R1 package is that much better than EBC for the money. Regardless of whether the EBC package included yellow, green or other pads. They simply do not perform as well.

---------- Post added at 06:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 AM ----------

Let me clarify, that is on the Raptor. I haven't personally used the EBC products on my Raptors because R1 is the only brand brakes I use, period. As for longevity, I have one customer that installed this package almost four years ago and over the next three years ran the Baja 1k, Baja 500, TRR and many other smaller Raptor events every year, on top of countless other weekend getaways with his family pulling their camper and toys. He replaced the pads this past summer and stayed with the same pads because of how they performed and how they lasted. This brake package has been throughly tested by Raptor owners all over the country in many different extremes and has proven itself time and time again.

bdub85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brakes feel kind of squishy to me and they don't stop that great. I think a lot could be fixed by stainless lines and better pads.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have many customers who switched from EBC brake setups to the R1 package and never looked back because the R1 package is that much better than EBC for the money. Regardless of whether the EBC package included yellow, green or other pads. They simply do not perform as well.

---------- Post added at 06:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 AM ----------

Let me clarify, that is on the Raptor. I haven't personally used the EBC products on my Raptors because R1 is the only brand brakes I use, period. As for longevity, I have one customer that installed this package almost four years ago and over the next three years ran the Baja 1k, Baja 500, TRR and many other smaller Raptor events every year, on top of countless other weekend getaways with his family pulling their camper and toys. He replaced the pads this past summer and stayed with the same pads because of how they performed and how they lasted. This brake package has been throughly tested by Raptor owners all over the country in many different extremes and has proven itself time and time again.
Hey Chris,
It's way too early for post edits and thinking too much! Sip some of that good wake you up stuff and have a great day. By the way my R1 brakes are doing great and thanks again for the hook up on a great deal. This guy is always hooking up his prior service peeps!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Chris,
It's way too early for post edits and thinking too much! Sip some of that good wake you up stuff and have a great day. By the way my R1 brakes are doing great and thanks again for the hook up on a great deal. This guy is always hooking up his prior service peeps!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I wake up thinking too much, at least that's what my wife says. Drives her nuts...lol

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thankfully haven't had a emergency single stop event since I installed R1 Concepts rotors and pads but I can say the pedal feels firmer than with factory brakes and I only had 30k on them and a lot of pad left on them. The difference when hard braking repeatedly is HUGE, brake fade is gone!! The customer service you get from Freedom Motorsports is second to none!! TJ

SamfromTX

Reaction score
Actually, you are both misunderstanding what I am even promoting. I am not speaking in reference to BBK kits. While I offer them and they have their place, the package that I am promoting is the stock OEM replacement bolt on kit. Not the BBK which costs substantially more.

Also, when I speak of improvement in brake fade, that is real world, not just some marketing hype. I can point to several examples, but the reason brake fade is improved is because when you compare drilled and slotted rotors to stock OEM blanks in general, you improve brake fade, especially on long downhill grades. If you haven't experienced brake fade on a downhill grade then you aren't on a bad grade. However, the casting materials make a big difference as well. When you consider that the stock OEM rotors are cast iron and the R1Concepts Premier series rotors are cast from G3500 rated high carbon metallic blend material and not the industry standard G3000 rated cast iron, they come out ahead because they do not heat up as much, as quickly and they cool faster.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Also, I have personally seen brake fade in a single braking event in emergency stopping many times with stock parts, as have others. It IS possible, it DOES happen, more often than you might think. The R1 package also decreases stopping distance.

You said brake fade in a single event. That does not make sense. Brake fade down a long downhill grade makes perfect sense. Fade occurs when the the brakes get hot after multiple uses. If you're having problem in single braking events it is not because of fade.

I just think what you said was kind of misleading. While these might be great or even necessary for combating situations where brake fade can be an issue, emergency stopping is not one of them. Kind of really basic stuff here.

More to the point if you can actually prove these stop you faster I think you'd have a ton of customers.

I realize I am a newb at this forum so I am prepared to get flamed but I will chime in with my 2 cents. I totally agree that since OEM brakes are capable of locking the brakes (activating ABS), then there is nothing that will improve stopping distance (same tires of course).
This is my first truck but I drive sports cars on track in a race like environment. I would be surprised if a single panic stop creates fade. Fade is not as much as the pads getting hot but brake fluid reaching boiling point. If I am concerned about fade from repeated heavy braking, I would flush the brake fluid and use something like Motul 600 or Castrol SRF. Upgrading the pads will change initial bite and wear. Upgrading the disc may improve lonegevity by dissipating heat. Steel brake lines with stiffen pedal feel a bit but risk wearing out faster, from repeated steering.

---------- Post added at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Actually, you are both misunderstanding what I am even promoting. I am not speaking in reference to BBK kits. While I offer them and they have their place, the package that I am promoting is the stock OEM replacement bolt on kit. Not the BBK which costs substantially more.

Also, when I speak of improvement in brake fade, that is real world, not just some marketing hype. I can point to several examples, but the reason brake fade is improved is because when you compare drilled and slotted rotors to stock OEM blanks in general, you improve brake fade, especially on long downhill grades. If you haven't experienced brake fade on a downhill grade then you aren't on a bad grade. However, the casting materials make a big difference as well. When you consider that the stock OEM rotors are cast iron and the R1Concepts Premier series rotors are cast from G3500 rated high carbon metallic blend material and not the industry standard G3000 rated cast iron, they come out ahead because they do not heat up as much, as quickly and they cool faster.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Also, I have personally seen brake fade in a single braking event in emergency stopping many times with stock parts, as have others. It IS possible, it DOES happen, more often than you might think. The R1 package also decreases stopping distance.

You said brake fade in a single event. That does not make sense. Brake fade down a long downhill grade makes perfect sense. Fade occurs when the the brakes get hot after multiple uses. If you're having problem in single braking events it is not because of fade.

I just think what you said was kind of misleading. While these might be great or even necessary for combating situations where brake fade can be an issue, emergency stopping is not one of them. Kind of really basic stuff here.

More to the point if you can actually prove these stop you faster I think you'd have a ton of customers.

I realize I am a newb at this forum so I am prepared to get flamed but I will chime in with my 2 cents. I totally agree that since OEM brakes are capable of locking the brakes (activating ABS), then there is nothing that will improve stopping distance (same tires of course).
This is my first truck but I drive sports cars on track in a race like environment. I would be surprised if a single panic stop creates fade. Fade is not as much as the pads getting hot but brake fluid reaching boiling point. If I am concerned about fade from repeated heavy braking, I would flush the brake fluid and use something like Motul 600 or Castrol SRF. Upgrading the pads will change initial bite and wear. Upgrading the disc may improve lonegevity by dissipating heat better. Steel brake lines will stiffen pedal feel a bit but risk wearing out faster, from repeated steering.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my first truck but I drive sports cars on track in a race like environment. I would be surprised if a single panic stop creates fade. Fade is not as much as the pads getting hot but brake fluid reaching boiling point. If I am concerned about fade from repeated heavy braking, I would flush the brake fluid and use something like Motul 600 or Castrol SRF. Upgrading the pads will change initial bite and wear. Upgrading the disc may improve lonegevity by dissipating heat better. Steel brake lines will stiffen pedal feel a bit but risk wearing out faster, from repeated steering.

Nobody is going to flame you, new to the forum or not. That being said, cheaper OEM pads, auto parts store lifetime pads, etc do cause brake fade when they get hot. Many times it is caused by "glazing", ie: when the pads get hot and glaze over and stop grabbing like they should. But glazing isn't the only time. Like I said before, I have experienced single stop fade many times myself. As for stopping better/shorter, I have had many people disagree with me or doubt it right up until they experienced the difference for themselves.

While I agree that brake fluid viability is a key component, pad compounds matter as well and upgrading the pads and the rotors works together to provide a better braking experience as a whole. As for brake fluid, I always use AMSOIL Series 600 DOT 4 Brake fluid for the higher wet boiling point, etc. Regardless of brand, flushing brake fluid at least once a year and preferably before winter in colder climates is what I recommend to my customers to avoid having condensation in the lines freezing in colder temps.

AMSOIL Series 600 DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid