Is it just me? or Does anyone think the Brakes suck..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
car and driver tested a wrx stock and on several BBK and just pads. interesting read. the link is below. here is an excerpt.

"Our objective here was primarily to test brake fade, not stopping distances. Assuming a brake system is properly balanced, strong enough to lock a wheel, and not yet hot enough to fade, the stopping distance is largely a function of tire traction, not brakes. "

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15136252/shedding-light-on-fading-brakes/

I agree that overheated or boiling fluid can cause longer stopping distances. however thats not defined as "fade". thats basically a soft pedal. as far as fade not an issue since the 70's? read the 2002 article by C and D

What is brake fade? - EBC Brakes - Brake fade is a term used to describe the temporary reduction or complete loss of braking power of a vehicle's braking system. Brake fade occurs when the brake pad and the brake rotor no longer generate sufficient mutual friction to stop the vehicle at its preferred rate of deceleration.

Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
hmmm? my friend put aftermarket calipers and rotors on his RS5. I dont remember the actual weight savings but it was huge i thought
The Alcon kit for the Raptor is not for the weight savings. They use iron calipers and one piece iron rotors for durability. Much less ***** are given about saving weight with an almost 3 ton truck.

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tracked cars since 2009, I say start with an upgraded pad, steel braided lines and a good fluid before spending thousands on a BBK.

DoJo.
I agree except I have tracked BMW's and Porsches since 1994. you learn a lot about brakes.

brakes are both unsprung and rotating mass. the absolute most important. a 30 pounds savings on brakes (or tires and wheels) is equal to 150 pounds in static truck mass.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree except I have tracked BMW's and Porsches since 1994. you learn a lot about brakes.

brakes are both unsprung and rotating mass. the absolute most important. a 30 pounds savings on brakes (or tires and wheels) is equal to 150 pounds in static truck mass.

Heck yeah, so you're saying that the issue here is the weight of the calipers and rotors? Hell, an aftermarket one is also heavy.

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck yeah, so you're saying that the issue here is the weight of the calipers and rotors? Hell, an aftermarket one is also heavy.

no. I am saying that if you are going to pay a lot of money for better brakes it’s also a great benefit if they weigh less.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
no. I am saying that if you are going to pay a lot of money for better brakes it’s also a great benefit if they weigh less.

Ok.

Ya'll have fun. I don't need to stop that fast just yet, but when I do I'll be doing pads and lines first.