Is anyone here cross-shopping other vehicles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see. To me, if the current 3.5 eco (or even the 3L eco) goes in the ranger, that will be a sad admission by ford that the engine was meant for midsize vehicles. This will be ford waving the flag on power train as they come back to the f150 R as a v8. Just very interesting spin by ford

Everyone wants a V8 for sound, Americana, etc but they also want hybrid type fuel economy.

What about the Ford GT?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everyone wants a V8 for sound, Americana, etc but they also want hybrid type fuel economy.

What about the Ford GT?
Don't feed the sasquatch. This is a guy who thinks the 6.2 is the pinnacle of high performance engines and constantly bashes Gen 2 trucks.

:chewie:

TXAG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at a 200 series Landcruiser, and also priced a Tremor pkg F150. I looked at the TRX, but theres no way I'm driving a RAM V8, 10, or 12. I'll drive a 4 cylinder raptor before a ram product. The Cruisers were too expensive for what you got, as well as the Tremor. Raptor FTW!

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at a 200 series Landcruiser, and also priced a Tremor pkg F150. I looked at the TRX, but theres no way I'm driving a RAM V8, 10, or 12. I'll drive a 4 cylinder raptor before a ram product. The Cruisers were too expensive for what you got, as well as the Tremor. Raptor FTW!

Toyota is expensive for what you could get in comparison, no refresh on models for 10+ years but they were mostly reliable. Quality has been noted as going down while prices continue to go up.

Ram has improved greatly in reliability and build quality since FCA became Stellanis; Overall I believe Ford has a more well rounded product but lacking in a few areas to Ram.

The Raptor isn't badly priced considering some XLT 302a's can have an MSRP of $60,000 +

Sgt Beavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 'considering' a Silverado ZR2. Obviously it's not nearly as capable as the Raptor, but it would serve my needs well. Also, my Chevy dealer told me they would honor GM's supplier discount IF it is offered on the ZR2. I've made no decisions yet but it's seems like a steep climb to even get a Raptor this year.

Guithues

Reaction score
I know many cross shop this to the TRX, and the Raptor R (if it ever becomes available), but what else are you looking at?
I know most here buy specifically for an off-road truck, but I think many buy it because they need a truck, but also something that is off-road capable. Off road is a relative term that means something different to everyone. As I shop, I looked at:
Raptor and R
TRX
Trackhawk
Durango hellcat
GMC Yukon
… and now the Escalade V

All of these vehicles would handle my off-road needs, and towing. The Escalade V stands out right now, so that may be what we go with. I can order that soon, so we will see if Raptor R news breaks before then.
I agree with others that all of our offroad "needs" vary. We find that as a couple we dont enjoy trails rated more than a 2, and I personally avoid anything over a 4. That said we probably have around 1-2k miles offroad including Mojave and Bradshaw Trails and lots of weekends around Big Bear, Joshua Tree Johnson and Death Valleys. Oh, and the truck is a snow monster, like it is the very finest vehical I have ever owned for going to the mountains for snow weekends. So with that context...

We traded our 2018 Raptor with 50k miles in on a 2021. The new truck is tighter, more tactile and quiet and comfortable than the old one, which was outstanding. We debated about waiting for the V8 Raptor R because we've never owned a supercar and we think this V8 has the opportunity to be something really special and even investment level collectible. But in the end, we don't really want for more speed and power. The truck pulls our 6500 lb boat across the I-40 hills at 90mph, in 105 degree temps with the A/C flowing. The twin turbos feed full horsepower as we get into altitudes of 5-6k feet. We've also heard rumors the TRX project is losing money, and if that goes away, we wondered if the R is really going to be manufactured at all with the engine problems which are widely circulated.

If you dont offroad but you tow, my advice is the Yukon/Tahoe. We loved ours. Well, those were our thougts, hope they are helpful to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc