Intelligent Access Door Handle Inop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did not do a BMS reset using Forscan (you reset BMS only when replace the car battery?). The BMS is supposed to learn the new state of charge if you leave the car locked and untouched for at least 8 hours (all the previous info I learned from other forums/threads and not sure how accurate). Last Sunday I fully charged the battery (it only took 4 hours using a CTEK 7002 charger), then I left the car undisturbed since Monday morning (it was more than 8 hours) when I tested the passenger door and the IA did not work. After a short drive to work (10-15 min later) the IA started to work again; I tested the access few times during the day and worked every single time without failure. Tuesday I did not touch the car the whole day and this morning the IA on passenger side stopped working again... The week before it was all the same; after charging the battery I get it to work for like a day and then in a 24 to 48 hours of not touching the car it turns off. When the engine is on it works without failure.
It will only relearn the state of charge if you connect the charger to positive and ground; if you connect directly to the battery it will not relearn. With the amount of charging you’ve done I’d recommend performing the BMS reset just to be sure it’s reading accurately.

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd also suggest looking at your battery voltage after a full charge, and then again when it's not working. Sounds like you may have a drain on it for it to stop working after sitting for a day or two

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
It will only relearn the state of charge if you connect the charger to positive and ground; if you connect directly to the battery it will not relearn. With the amount of charging you’ve done I’d recommend performing the BMS reset just to be sure it’s reading accurately.
When I charge the battery I connect the charger to the positive battery terminal and the ground close to the battery...

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
I'd also suggest looking at your battery voltage after a full charge, and then again when it's not working. Sounds like you may have a drain on it for it to stop working after sitting for a day or two
I've been wanting to measure the battery voltage for "before and after" values for a while now; I keep getting carried away with other things. I agree, I definitely should check the voltage drop.
**** update****
Just got home from work, battery is at 12.65V and the passenger IA still doesn’t work.

Last edited:

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
Do you have Forscan or another scan tool? I believe it can show what the BMS thinks the SOC is
I have Forscan but I had no idea it can show what BMS thinks...
****UPDATE****
When I got home yesterday I started checking the BCM configuration using Forscan. It is all factory except the double-honk feature. First odd thing is that Forscan shows my battery as "AGM 80Ah 700CCA H7 Case" but the actual battery on my truck is a AGM 800CCA... If I use the AS BUILT format, in hex shows the correct battery type according with the online Forscan spreadsheet (In Hex first two digits are 02)... Battery Target SOC is set to 80% and BMS set to LIN. Then there is a Dual Battery Mode (Target SOC) set to "Partially Enabled 80% 12.8V"; after I checked the options, "Disabled 75% 12V (Single Battery) would make more sense to me as the truck has just one battery that I'm aware of. Battery age shows correctly (851 days), current SOC is at 46% and Battery Charging Mode was reported as "Conventional Charging". The last odd thing so far is the way Forscan reported the touch sensors operation. With the engine on (I actually had the engine on for all the duration of my tests) when I touched the IA touch sensors on driver side Forscan showed correctly what sensors I touched and the lock worked accordingly. When I checked the passenger side, Forscan did not report that I actually touched the sensors although the lock did operated according with the touch. At this point I'm not sure what to make out of all this...

Last edited:

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
****UPDATE 2****
Yesterday, after a trip to work, the IA on passenger side started to work. This morning I used Forscan to see if detects touching the sensors for the passenger door and, for my surprise, still does not. SOC is now 65%, still far from a full charge. IA works now but I do not understand why Forscan still cannot detect the touch on the passenger side.Is it Forscan or something wrong with my truck?

Last edited:

FL4x4

Reaction score
I can confirm that the failure of the passenger side Intelligent Access Door Handle is directly related to the state of charge of the battery - and NOT a FORSCAN issue.

I had the issue of the Passenger Side Intelligent Door Handle fail to lock or unlock my 2019 Raptor yesterday (June 13th, 2021)

I had just completed replacing the sunroof rails because of broken plastic parts on the rails that push down the wind screen, as well as broken plastic guides in the rails of my 2019 Raptor (Stupid cheap design). Thank you Sunroof Doctor for the replacement rails which I purchased brand new for $154.00 for BOTH the left and right side. Ford Dealer wanted more than $300.00 plus Labor and two days and potentially $3000. It took me two hours to do myself and I was taking my time, but was VERY easy to do.

Which brings me to why my Passenger Side Intelligent Door Handle stopped working.

I had my truck OFF the entire time (Two Hours) I was working on the sunroof. Doors open. I turned the ACC on a couple of times with the engine off to cycle the sunroof with and without the glass removed to make sure everything was working right before putting the glass back in.

When I finished putting the sunroof back together and adjusting it and testing it several times (it worked perfectly and silently btw) I locked up my truck with the fob with no problem. I then remembered I needed something in the passenger glove box. With the FOB in my pocket, I reached for the passenger door handle and ... NOTHING. WTF!!!

Drive side Intelligent Handle works fine. MF.

Pissed that I just fixed one thing and now something else stopped working, Fix Or Repair Daily started echoing in my head. FML.

My truck is still under warranty and I bought the extended warranty as well. I shouldn't have bought the extended warranty because I just don't trust the Ford techs with my truck, but I have it in case something happens that is beyond my abilities. I especially don't trust Ford Dealers when they tell me it will take two days to repair something that took me two hours and may cost me as much as $3,000 even though it's under warranty. I've always done my own repair work on all my vehicles, and with youtube these days you can see how to fix just about anything yourself if you're mechanically inclined and have the proper tools and equipment.

I was about to throw in the towel and schedule a repair visit with the Dealer for the door handle when I came across this thread.

I didn't check the passenger door operation before I left for work this morning. But I just checked it this evening after getting home from work (20 miles round trip) and ... IT WORKS!

Which means it was the charge condition of the battery that shut it down.

Last edited:

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
I can confirm that the failure of the passenger side Intelligent Access Door Handle is directly related to the state of charge of the battery - and NOT a FORSCAN issue.

I had the issue of the Passenger Side Intelligent Door Handle fail to lock or unlock my 2019 Raptor yesterday (June 13th, 2021)

I had just completed replacing the sunroof rails because of broken plastic parts on the rails that push down the wind screen, as well as broken plastic guides in the rails of my 2019 Raptor (Stupid cheap design). Thank you Sunroof Doctor for the replacement rails which I purchased brand new for $154.00 for BOTH the left and right side. Ford Dealer wanted more than $300.00 plus Labor and two days and potentially $3000. It took me two hours to do myself and I was taking my time, but was VERY easy to do.

Which brings me to why my Passenger Side Intelligent Door Handle stopped working.

I had my truck OFF the entire time (Two Hours) I was working on the sunroof. Doors open. I turned the ACC on a couple of times with the engine off to cycle the sunroof with and without the glass removed to make sure everything was working right before putting the glass back in.

When I finished putting the sunroof back together and adjusting it and testing it several times (it worked perfectly and silently btw) I locked up my truck with the fob with no problem. I then remembered I needed something in the passenger glove box. With the FOB in my pocket, I reached for the passenger door handle and ... NOTHING. WTF!!!

Drive side Intelligent Handle works fine. MF.

Pissed that I just fixed one thing and now something else stopped working, Fix Or Repair Daily started echoing in my head. FML.

My truck is still under warranty and I bought the extended warranty as well. I shouldn't have bought the extended warranty because I just don't trust the Ford techs with my truck, but I have it in case something happens that is beyond my abilities. I especially don't trust Ford Dealers when they tell me it will take two days to repair something that took me two hours and may cost me as much as $3,000 even though it's under warranty. I've always done my own repair work on all my vehicles, and with youtube these days you can see how to fix just about anything yourself if you're mechanically inclined and have the proper tools and equipment.

I was about to throw in the towel and schedule a repair visit with the Dealer for the door handle when I came across this thread.

I didn't check the passenger door operation before I left for work this morning. But I just checked it this evening after getting home from work (20 miles round trip) and ... IT WORKS!

Which means it was the charge condition of the battery that shut it down.
I did not blame Forscan for IA not working on the passenger door… You can use Forscan as a diagnostic tool, to check the touch sensors operation, feature really useful if the door lock would actually not actuate with the touch. The strange thing is that Forscan reports only me touching the sensors from the driver‘s door and not the ones from the passenger’s door. When I touch the sensors from the passenger’s door, the locks will lock or unlock but Forscan won’t report it. Would be nice if anyone with a Gen2 Raptor will try to see if Forscan reports only the touching of driver’s door sensors or all of them. At this point I’m concerned that there is a data communication problem between the sensors and BCM for my truck. Or that is normal and I worry for nothing.