Intelligent Access Door Handle Inop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bowtier1

Reaction score
I bet you’re right regarding low voltage in the BCM and PCM.

It’s funny that you mention the auto start/stop not working after voltage drops in the control units. My auto stop start hasn’t worked in months. I just equated it to low battery voltage as I drive the truck 10 miles round trip everyday. It’s weird because I also have random issues with the turn signals sounding funny, the parking sensors sounding funny (like a speaker is blown) and my truck not doing the self check chimes at start up. It’s all so intermittent that I know if I take it to the dealer they’ll tell me that can’t verify my concern and do nothing about it.
Only thing after market on my truck is lights in the front bumper connected to the up fitter switches and a dash cam that stays plugged into my OBDII port 24/7.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bet you’re right regarding low voltage in the BCM and PCM.

It’s funny that you mention the auto start/stop not working after voltage drops in the control units. My auto stop start hasn’t worked in months. I just equated it to low battery voltage as I drive the truck 10 miles round trip everyday. It’s weird because I also have random issues with the turn signals sounding funny, the parking sensors sounding funny (like a speaker is blown) and my truck not doing the self check chimes at start up. It’s all so intermittent that I know if I take it to the dealer they’ll tell me that can’t verify my concern and do nothing about it.
Only thing after market on my truck is lights in the front bumper connected to the up fitter switches and a dash cam that stays plugged into my OBDII port 24/7.

Anything plugged into the OBDII port can keep the modules on multiple networks awake and active, which is the reason that all OEMs - FMC included - do not support anything aftermarket being plugged into the DLC (OBDII port). Sounds like that may be the reason that your truck is experiencing a battery drain issue. New models - 2020 and newer - no longer have a direct connection between the DLC and the vehicle's network for this very reason, so aftermarket devices cannot communicate directly with the OEM modules.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything plugged into the OBDII port can keep the modules on multiple networks awake and active, which is the reason that all OEMs - FMC included - do not support anything aftermarket being plugged into the DLC (OBDII port). Sounds like that may be the reason that your truck is experiencing a battery drain issue. New models - 2020 and newer - no longer have a direct connection between the DLC and the vehicle's network for this very reason, so aftermarket devices cannot communicate directly with the OEM modules.

You're right about the auto start/stop and passive entry disable with lower voltage.

I'm trying to find an Ignition on/off power source that doesn't mess with sensors or computers. Not having a lot of luck. Best I can find is to piggyback on accessory power, but it isn't an off when truck is off due to the delay or waiting for drivers door.

So many of the fuses have small draws and power when off, I'm guess there are all kinds of sensors and things going on. I'd like to keep the connection to Ignition on/off as clean and free of messing up any of these algorithms as possible.

Open to ideas.

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Raptor and I have now the exact same problem. Until few minutes ago I thought the handle’s sensors on the passenger side just died on me. Then I found this thread, turned on the engine and... the intelligent access on the passenger side just works. My path to this issue was the same as well... I did some Forscan changes in the past (disable double Honk, fake engine disable, Lincoln mirrors, numbers above temp gage, disable start up chime) and until this morning I thought everything was fine. Then I discovered that the intelligent access on the passenger door doesn’t work and I reverted all the Forscan changes to factory in a attempt to fix it but... no luck with that. Initially I thought that the sensors are dead but now, I tested and they are working when the engine is on, I really believe this is a programming issue. Maybe Forscan is not fully compatible with the latest Sync version? Maybe is some strange power save mode?

Last edited:

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember someone mentioning that if your battery is low it will shed power from certain devices and the passenger handle was one of the first for some reason. I'd check your battery voltage or put it on a charger if you have one and see if that fixes it.

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
I remember someone mentioning that if your battery is low it will shed power from certain devices and the passenger handle was one of the first for some reason. I'd check your battery voltage or put it on a charger if you have one and see if that fixes it.
Thanks. I actually just put it on a charger like 30 minutes ago... Hopefully that will fix it.

*****UPDATE****** Few good hours later, battery is charged and the Intelligent Access using the Passenger door finally works. It didn’t work at first but, after running the engine for few minutes, I assume the Battery Managment registered the new battery charge status and the IA started to work.

Last edited:

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
Thanks. I actually just put it on a charger like 30 minutes ago... Hopefully that will fix it.

*****UPDATE****** Few good hours later, battery is charged and the Intelligent Access using the Passenger door finally works. It didn’t work at first but, after running the engine for few minutes, I assume the Battery Management registered the new battery charge status and the IA started to work.
*****2nd UPDATE*****
It seems that the BMS shuts off the IA for the passenger side really fast (in just one day of not driving the car). Also, just driving the car 3 times a week (40 min round trip on average) is not charging the battery long enough to make the BMS re-enable the IA for the passenger side; the only time it gets enabled is if I fully charge the battery on a charger.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
*****2nd UPDATE*****
It seems that the BMS shuts off the IA for the passenger side really fast (in just one day of not driving the car). Also, just driving the car 3 times a week (40 min round trip on average) is not charging the battery long enough to make the BMS re-enable the IA for the passenger side; the only time it gets enabled is if I fully charge the battery on a charger.
Have you don’t a BMS reset? That is required after charging the battery so the system learns the new state of charge. I believe you can do it with ForScan.

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
Have you don’t a BMS reset? That is required after charging the battery so the system learns the new state of charge. I believe you can do it with ForScan.
I did not do a BMS reset using Forscan (you reset BMS only when replace the car battery?). The BMS is supposed to learn the new state of charge if you leave the car locked and untouched for at least 8 hours (all the previous info I learned from other forums/threads and not sure how accurate). Last Sunday I fully charged the battery (it only took 4 hours using a CTEK 7002 charger), then I left the car undisturbed since Monday morning (it was more than 8 hours) when I tested the passenger door and the IA did not work. After a short drive to work (10-15 min later) the IA started to work again; I tested the access few times during the day and worked every single time without failure. Tuesday I did not touch the car the whole day and this morning the IA on passenger side stopped working again... The week before it was all the same; after charging the battery I get it to work for like a day and then in a 24 to 48 hours of not touching the car it turns off. When the engine is on it works without failure.

Last edited: