Intelligent Access Door Handle Inop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtier1

Reaction score
Just got done programming a few items via FORScan.

I'm not sure if this issue was present before programming or if it occurred afterwards, but my right front intelligent access door handle will not lock/unlock my 2018 Raptor unless the ignition is on or in accessory mode. If the truck is off completely, that intelligent access door handle is completely inoperative. My left front intelligent access door handle is working as designed with no problems.

The only programming I did was: double honk disable, temperature readings in the instrument cluster for coolant/oil temperature, heated/cooled seat buttons on Sync 3 display. I had initially also done the global window open/close via the remote, and fake engine noise disable, but restored those to factory specs once I noticed my door handle was no longer working.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check with FORScan to get the door handle to work again correctly? It's obvious that the door handle sensors work fine, it just doesn't work when my truck is off.

Thanks in advance for the help.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
This is a reach, but check to see if you have any DTC stored with Forscan. Make note of any, clear them and retry.

Else, you may be looking at restoring to all defaults, and retrying. That’s a really odd coincidence

OP
OP
B

bowtier1

Reaction score
I assumed that the intelligent access would all run through the BCM after some research on this issue. I restored the BCM back to original and still had the same concern. Only BCM alteration now is for the double honk disable.

No DTCs listed in FORScan. Everything was good there.

I also was guessing the Global window control could be the culprit but restored all modules relating to that feature and still have the problem.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
it could be you have a bad sensor, but since you just noticed it we have to walk the changes back until we can account for them all before resigning you to the fate of a stealership visit.

OP
OP
B

bowtier1

Reaction score
Would it be a bad sensor if the door handle operates as designed when the truck is on? That’s the only thing that makes me think it’s a programming issue. Only the lock/unlock feature on the right front door handle does not work when the truck is off.

Thanks for the replies/thoughts/help Smurfslayer it’s much appreciated.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
based on your symptom and problem statements, we can’t be certain, but my inclination is that you may have tripped over something in Forscan. I’d consider a battery disconnect / reset, retest, if that is ineffectual, try reverting all Forscan settings just in case, retest, another battery disconnect/reset if there are any Forscan changes left. If that doesn’t do it and there’s no DTC’s, it’s sounding like a stealership visit.

OP
OP
B

bowtier1

Reaction score
Just an update; the truck sat all night and the door handle started working this morning. I didn’t do anything further with FORScan. I’ll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have seen this issue only one time before; same exact concern though and it was also a 2018 F-150. The passenger side passive entry feature would only work intermittently. If the ignition was turned on, the passive entry would start working again. Once the vehicle sat and the BCM went into sleep mode, the concern would return. Sometimes it would need to sit overnight.

The vehicle had extensive aftermarket electronics, including an inductive charger, lighting, air horns, and dash cam. The door handle, BCM, and wire harness were replaced with no resolution; the concern would always intermittently return. Apparently the hotline determined that the issue was being caused by the battery monitoring sensor was seeing the battery state of charge drop as the vehicle sat due to the aftermarket electronics. For some reason when the battery state of charge reading gets low, the passenger side passive entry feature stops working.

Since you were programming the vehicle with the ignition on and engine off, the battery state of charge may have dropped enough to cause the issue. Once the BCM saw that the charging system has replenished the battery, the issue may have been resolved, which is why it didn't occur when you checked it the next morning.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I have seen this issue only one time before; same exact concern though and it was also a 2018 F-150. The passenger side passive entry feature would only work intermittently. If the ignition was turned on, the passive entry would start working again. Once the vehicle sat and the BCM went into sleep mode, the concern would return. Sometimes it would need to sit overnight.

The vehicle had extensive aftermarket electronics, including an inductive charger, lighting, air horns, and dash cam. The door handle, BCM, and wire harness were replaced with no resolution; the concern would always intermittently return. Apparently the hotline determined that the issue was being caused by the battery monitoring sensor was seeing the battery state of charge drop as the vehicle sat due to the aftermarket electronics. For some reason when the battery state of charge reading gets low, the passenger side passive entry feature stops working.

Since you were programming the vehicle with the ignition on and engine off, the battery state of charge may have dropped enough to cause the issue. Once the BCM saw that the charging system has replenished the battery, the issue may have been resolved, which is why it didn't occur when you checked it the next morning.

I may have noticed this while ... washing the truck. If it’s kind of warm, and I’m taking my time, I’m listening to tunes while I wash, dry, wax and admire my work, and enjoying the roughly 2 grand I’ve spent on audio. This takes me 2-3 hours on a good day and I usually have to turn the radio back on at least once- 60 minute threshold. After this, the next time I’m driving, the auto stop/start doesn’t work for a good half hour of driving. Normally, while I’m hosing the truck down the locks are constantly being actuated when I hose down the front doors but I noticed last time I was washing that the locks weren’t giving me any more static while I was hosing the truck off. This sounds like I drained the battery enough to disable the door sensor.

great info, even if my scenario isn’t a match.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I may have noticed this while ... washing the truck. If it’s kind of warm, and I’m taking my time, I’m listening to tunes while I wash, dry, wax and admire my work, and enjoying the roughly 2 grand I’ve spent on audio. This takes me 2-3 hours on a good day and I usually have to turn the radio back on at least once- 60 minute threshold. After this, the next time I’m driving, the auto stop/start doesn’t work for a good half hour of driving. Normally, while I’m hosing the truck down the locks are constantly being actuated when I hose down the front doors but I noticed last time I was washing that the locks weren’t giving me any more static while I was hosing the truck off. This sounds like I drained the battery enough to disable the door sensor.

great info, even if my scenario isn’t a match.

Thanks. And yes, same idea. The BCM and PCM have a predetermined strategy to follow when the battery state of charge drops. The most common symptom is that the Auto Stop/Start system becomes disabled. I surmise that the passenger side passive entry becoming inoperative is an undesirable and unintended side effect of the load shed strategy.