GEN 1 Installing new Fox 3.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
*Potentially dumb question from a guy who doesn't have 3.0 coilovers

Adjusting the threads for the collars is only required if you want it sit higher up front, right? So, if you wanted the front to be low, you could install the coilovers as is, right?
I thought from box 3.0"s came 1" higher up in front from low perch 2.5"s.

Still looking it up via search fwiw

Last edited:

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of box, how much height does it give over stock? I am trying to figure out where to set the collar, as close as the height I want before install. Stock spring on mid-perch, I was at 41'', with all the extra weights. Rear 43'' Deaver +2. Then I switched to geiser spring on bottom perch, front dropped down to 40''. Looking to get back to 41.5''.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Out of box, how much height does it give over stock? I am trying to figure out where to set the collar, as close as the height I want before install. Stock spring on mid-perch, I was at 41'', with all the extra weights. Rear 43'' Deaver +2. Then I switched to geiser spring on bottom perch, front dropped down to 40''. Looking to get back to 41.5''.

@oplersx Out of the box results may vary. Mine came showing 2-3 threads, but i knew once they were on, and settled with weight that I would likely need to adjust to get them where i want them.
If you dont have a bench type spring compressor, then doing the adjustment on the truck would be easier...

Fox shock tech told me to use the pre-load adjuster to set the ride height and keep the shock in the correct zone. He suggested I start near the 6-10 thread range.
I ended up with 6-7 threads showing and im just slightly raked with the +3 Deavers.

@John813 No idea about stock VS 3.0, I never intended to keep front or back stock, so not sure how that measurement works out.
I would think that there is a slight height increase simply because the 3,0 has more extended length and travel numbers than stock.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

When you say preload do you use a clamp? I've read if you don't and try to adjust the collar you'll strip the threads. My ******* installed straight out of box and didn't have the bolt pointing out so have to pull shocks out to adjust collar
I imagine that was only on the driver side. I noticed the issue when installing so was able to fix before finishing. But yeah, for some dumb reason, Fox put the set screw on the back side on the driver side, so when installing make sure you can get to the set screw.

Preload is not just for height. More preload keeps the coil compressed and provides better tire flow on off-road terrain that makes it smoother. You can have too much causing the compression to be too soft.

Here is where mine are at
Out of the box
bea959f6e4d2990c813e2273816d79d4.jpg

Where I adjusted them too

433a604aad552b4d674a4c1ceae15db0.jpg

And do NOT make adjustments without using a spring compressor. The collar is a clamp style and I have seen folks tear up the threads. It isn’t like the ICON preload collar that is a solid piece, you can do that without compressing the spring if you choose.

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a guessing game :33: I don't have it here yet, i am hoping there are some kind of guidelines included to start with.

SuperExplorer

Reaction score
I don't recall if there is a set screw on that collar, shouldn't be though. Either a Spanner wrench from Fox (or any shock company), or a screwdriver/punch/socket and tap it loose with a hammer. will probably be cinched up from the factory, but shouldn't take too much effort to knock loose.