Installed Gen 2 Fox Race Series Coilovers……FINALLY!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main issue with the Gen 2 coilovers is that they use M8 studs that go through the strut tower. The new Gen 3 trucks have larger holes in the strut tower and the struts use M10 studs. I would not feel good knowing the shock is likely to rotate back and forth, potentially causing damage to the strut tower if using the truck as it is intended off-road, which 99% don’t. They just have little Johnson syndrome I guess.

Just a hunch, but if I were going to use the Gen 2 FRS struts on my Gen 3, I'd take them to a machine shop to have larger M10 threaded studs pressed in.

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The main issue with the Gen 2 coilovers is that they use M8 studs that go through the strut tower. The new Gen 3 trucks have larger holes in the strut tower and the struts use M10 studs. I would not feel good knowing the shock is likely to rotate back and forth, potentially causing damage to the strut tower if using the truck as it is intended off-road, which 99% don’t. They just have little Johnson syndrome I guess.

Just a hunch, but if I were going to use the Gen 2 FRS struts on my Gen 3, I'd take them to a machine shop to have larger M10 threaded studs pressed in.
Did your first Gen 3 on which you ran FRS have M8 studs/holes? I thought in your original post you ran FRS on your Gen 3 and loved the ride compared to a collar. Is it only the '24+ that have the M10 studs?

OP
OP
H

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your first Gen 3 on which you ran FRS have M8 studs/holes? I thought in your original post you ran FRS on your Gen 3 and loved the ride compared to a collar. Is it only the '24+ that have the M10 studs?
I did like the ride. Not it did not. I only drove in them for about 1000 miles before I sold the truck. I did not realize the size difference until I went to install them and then looked it up. This is why SDI offers to sizes of studs for their preload top hat.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, there you go then...

OK, I think my best bet then is to go FRLV, keep lift height around 2", and maybe do the 38x13.50r18 Toyo MT. I'm all over the place with wheel options though. Too many choices!

How will you hook the single valve FRS shocks to the dual valve harness on your 24R?

This is a great point from @BoostCreep. The FRLV shocks would only work on a 35" truck with the single valve. If you have a 37PP or R, then they won't be compatible with the dual valve setup. Looking back now at your first post, I saw that you mentioned you had a 2024, but didn't realize it was an R.

If you're wanting to go down the rabbit hole of +3 Mid-Travel and keep the dual live valve shocks, then my recommendation would be a Foutz kit as both their mid-travel and their +3 kit will work with stock shocks. For extra height, you can add Eibach or Geiser springs on your factory shocks. And the FMI LCAs will also work with any other components you may want to add like limit straps (highly recommend if you're going to be wheeling hard with aftermarket springs), front bumps, and secondary bypasses. The only thing to keep in mind is that FMI LCA is NOT compatible with the OEM sway bar so you'd either need to run no sway bar or go with the upgraded FMI sway bar that works with their LCAs.

Last edited:

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a great point from @BoostCreep. The FRLV shocks would only work on a 35" truck with the single valve. If you have a 37PP or R, then they won't be compatible with the dual valve setup. Looking back now at your first post, I saw that you mentioned you had a 2024, but didn't realize it was an R.

If you're wanting to go down the rabbit hole of +3 Mid-Travel and keep the dual live valve shocks, then my recommendation would be a Foutz kit as both their mid-travel and their +3 kit will work with stock shocks. For extra height, you can add Eibach or Geiser springs on your factory shocks. And the FMI LCAs will also work with any other components you may want to add like limit straps (highly recommend if you're going to be wheeling hard with aftermarket springs), front bumps, and secondary bypasses. The only thing to keep in mind is that FMI LCA is NOT compatible with the OEM sway bar so you'd either need to run no sway bar or go with the upgraded FMI sway bar that works with their LCAs.
How much travel do the Foutz mid travel and +3 kits give?

Chuckaroo91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a great point from @BoostCreep. The only thing to keep in mind is that FMI LCA is NOT compatible with the OEM sway bar so you'd either need to run no sway bar or go with the upgraded FMI sway bar that works with their LCAs.
Have you had anyone run the FMI Swaybar and gotten feedback? Seems similar to the Carli torsion swaybar for superduties (which improved the truck a lot). Wondering if its similar for the Raptor.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Have you had anyone run the FMI Swaybar and gotten feedback? Seems similar to the Carli torsion swaybar for superduties (which improved the truck a lot). Wondering if its similar for the Raptor.
You hit the nail on the head. It's effectively the same thought process and style. I have the Carli Torsion Sway Bar on my Super Duty as well.

We do have a customer who installed it on his truck with OEM LCAs and this is his feedback quoted below:

"I installed this a little over a week ago and it's quickly become one of my favorite upgrades. You can feel the difference right away and the truck carves around corners now so much better, while really hanging the body roll so much better than the stock bar. No changes in ride quality other than the reduced body roll in turns."

"Such a big difference! I just ripped around several turns and the struck stays level all the way through like a damn track car. I could feel the difference just pulling off my street rolling at 10mph. Crazy what a difference in feel this makes."

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head. It's effectively the same thought process and style. I have the Carli Torsion Sway Bar on my Super Duty as well.

We do have a customer who installed it on his truck with OEM LCAs and this is his feedback quoted below:

"I installed this a little over a week ago and it's quickly become one of my favorite upgrades. You can feel the difference right away and the truck carves around corners now so much better, while really hanging the body roll so much better than the stock bar. No changes in ride quality other than the reduced body roll in turns."

"Such a big difference! I just ripped around several turns and the struck stays level all the way through like a damn track car. I could feel the difference just pulling off my street rolling at 10mph. Crazy what a difference in feel this makes."
This sounds awesome and is tempting, but part of me kinda likes how the Raptor wallows around a bit, it’s part of the experience.