Installed Gen 2 Fox Race Series Coilovers……FINALLY!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I first installed Camburg 1 1/2 inch collars on my truck, didn’t like how much lift they gave me and was not impressed with how the OEM suspension couldn’t handle the additional pre-load tension of the coil. Definitely didn’t ride as well dampened as I had hoped.

I then installed a set of 1” Eibach springs and they were a vast improvement over the collars, but still left a little to be desired on how they handled down travel, as again, the OEM shocks aren’t tuned for added tension of the Eibachs and the rebound was too fast for my liking.

So I decided to upgrade to the fox race series, coil overs, even though they are not application specific. I can say that these are far better than any of the previous lifts that I had done. Obviously as they are tuned to work with the spring that they have installed on them. I added a little bit of preload based on some of the left I’ve seen from other people doing the same thing, however, they seem to lift my truck a little bit more than some of the other people I have seen online. I only added 1/2 inch a free load to the collar and they actually gave me about 2 inches of lift. I am going to take all the pre-load out of the collar, just like how they came, and that should give me right around 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch of lift over the OEM set up. There is such a night and day difference between the ride of these coil overs, and doing a lift collar or springs that it isn’t even funny. I wouldn’t even waste my time with any other set up. I wish I didn’t waste the time and the money with those cheaper options.

As the truck sits right now, it is at 43 inches in the front, and 42 inches in the rear. It has 37 inch BFGKO2 tires.

Attachments

• B74E90AF-CFAB-4101-BF74-B572759CE0B2.jpeg
    B74E90AF-CFAB-4101-BF74-B572759CE0B2.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 346
  • E5A064E3-A174-493B-8F32-00333C21DD11.jpeg
    E5A064E3-A174-493B-8F32-00333C21DD11.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 354
  • 75861790-FABD-46EB-80B1-8D167FC28DA2.jpeg
    75861790-FABD-46EB-80B1-8D167FC28DA2.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 342
  • DF0B9906-CA70-49F3-9D05-87EDD59D25B5.jpeg
    DF0B9906-CA70-49F3-9D05-87EDD59D25B5.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 359

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Really wish Fox would release a front and rear set specific for the Gen3. I have enough suspension experience to know just adding preload or stiffer springs is going to have a negative effect on performance. As you’ve said, valving and dampening is specific to spring rates, can’t switch one without the other.

franky16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I first installed Camburg 1 1/2 inch collars on my truck, didn’t like how much lift they gave me and was not impressed with how the OEM suspension couldn’t handle the additional pre-load tension of the coil. Definitely didn’t ride as well dampened as I had hoped.

I then installed a set of 1” Eibach springs and they were a vast improvement over the collars, but still left a little to be desired on how they handled down travel, as again, the OEM shocks aren’t tuned for added tension of the Eibachs and the rebound was too fast for my liking.

So I decided to upgrade to the fox race series, coil overs, even though they are not application specific. I can say that these are far better than any of the previous lifts that I had done. Obviously as they are tuned to work with the spring that they have installed on them. I added a little bit of preload based on some of the left I’ve seen from other people doing the same thing, however, they seem to lift my truck a little bit more than some of the other people I have seen online. I only added 1/2 inch a free load to the collar and they actually gave me about 2 inches of lift. I am going to take all the pre-load out of the collar, just like how they came, and that should give me right around 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch of lift over the OEM set up. There is such a night and day difference between the ride of these coil overs, and doing a lift collar or springs that it isn’t even funny. I wouldn’t even waste my time with any other set up. I wish I didn’t waste the time and the money with those cheaper options.

As the truck sits right now, it is at 43 inches in the front, and 42 inches in the rear. It has 37 inch BFGKO2 tires.
Bad ass!!!

franky16

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Any plans to do ucas and trailing arms?

OP
OP
H

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any plans to do ucas and trailing arms?
No, trailing arms are just for cosmetics and I hear they squeak and bind and they are a pain in the ass to set up.

UCAs are pretty much pointless as well being I am only going to be at 1.0” of lift, however I have considered them. I just can justify the cost for no performance gain.

matt_47_

Reaction score
Is the big difference you’re taking about with these vs the collars when street driving? Hitting potholes and bumps in the road?

I have the RPG 1.5 inch collar and am debating on slapping these on.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
No, trailing arms are just for cosmetics and I hear they squeak and bind and they are a pain in the ass to set up.

UCAs are pretty much pointless as well being I am only going to be at 1.0” of lift, however I have considered them. I just can justify the cost for no performance gain.
All true. But they do LOOK good! Same. Wanted to do it, but with zero performance gain, it's just co$metic$.

Ryan C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Certain UCAs allow adjustment of alignment on-the-truck, with the LCAs locked out. For those who hit things hard, this can be a performance (aka reliability) improvement. Icon had these for Gen 2, and SVC has for Gen 2 and 3. However, SVC requires drilling a larger hole for the non-tapered bolts in the upright... may not be for everyone. In addition to those that have on-the-truck adjustment, a number of other companies allow alignment adjustment with the UCAs, but you have to pull the UCAs to adjust the heim. Again, same lock out reliability gain, but more hassle to set up at first.

There are alternatives to the alignment lockout method described above, which cam lock the LCAs while still allowing for adjustment (https://www.spcalignment.com/index.php?option=com_spc&task=part_description&pid=86252) I expect they aren't quite as durable as the full LCA lockout and UCA adjustment combo, but I haven't used them so can't really say for sure.

Fox Race coilovers and shocks were awesome on my Gen 2. Eagerly awaiting the release by Fox for the race series for the gen 3 trucks.

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Certain UCAs allow adjustment of alignment on-the-truck, with the LCAs locked out. For those who hit things hard, this can be a performance (aka reliability) improvement. Icon had these for Gen 2, and SVC has for Gen 2 and 3. However, SVC requires drilling a larger hole for the non-tapered bolts in the upright... may not be for everyone. In addition to those that have on-the-truck adjustment, a number of other companies allow alignment adjustment with the UCAs, but you have to pull the UCAs to adjust the heim. Again, same lock out reliability gain, but more hassle to set up at first.

There are alternatives to the alignment lockout method described above, which cam lock the LCAs while still allowing for adjustment (https://www.spcalignment.com/index.php?option=com_spc&task=part_description&pid=86252) I expect they aren't quite as durable as the full LCA lockout and UCA adjustment combo, but I haven't used them so can't really say for sure.

Fox Race coilovers and shocks were awesome on my Gen 2. Eagerly awaiting the release by Fox for the race series for the gen 3 trucks.
Out of curiosity what are people dialing in for alignment that’s so beneficial? Long travel rangers have me convinced camber isn’t a huge deal. FK rod ends and uniballs also wear out super fast anywhere with salt and or grit mixed with water. Like less than a year quick.