Installed Flowmaster super 44 exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i did it...this was a really cheap upgrade (well not 100% positive yet).

I will be testing this upgrade out in the next 2 weeks or so...im heading out to denver, then im off to the springs again...so i will get an accurate test on MPG's..

but so far, this thing sounds absolutely killer! sounds awesome actually. they did a good job with the install, so i will post pics when its actually daylight outside, and honestly, im geeking out on my new Samsung 3D TV LOL...but i took it out to a local car show today, and man, people were stoked with the truck...many said this is what they imagined the raptor to look like, and sound like.

Im hoping this exhaust is a little more than just a cool sounding exhaust, im hoping for no power or fuel loss...so if i get any gains at all, im stoked with this purchase.

It was 95 dollars for the exhaust and 119 dollars to get it installed. was gonna look at that Borla exhaust...but for 1000 dollars, i need more convincing than just a POSSIBLE 10 to 15HP gain...I figured if im getting a small gain, i might as well do it the cheaper way...and be content, as i can see that Borla stainless steel exhaust get beat to crap in the dirt or gravel...especxially when i kick my ass end around LOL plus nobody looks underneat your truck...so im gonna polish the tips and call it good...or send them off to a metal shop and get them polished for a few extra bucks...might be worth it. But i will post pics and info within the next week or so....with some long distance runs and offroad ventures.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to reading your report about the Flowmaster Super 44 exhaust you put in. If you get a chance maybe you could post a video so we can hear and see your Raptor.

The concerns with aftermarket exhausts are, as you mentioned, cost, performance and resonance (drone). Some exhausts are bad news with resonance across a wide part of the RPMs, others put out resonance at one spot on the tachometer and, as long as it's not at a speed you cruise at the resonance could be bearable.

Let us know what you find with your new Flowmaster.

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know what you mean Dan...so far, im waiting for everything to adjust to the new exhaust...sounds killer, probably too much drone for most people...but its most evident at lower RPM's, at highway speeds, its not as bad.

so far i dont like what it did to my MPG's...seems like it lost some, but again, im going to wait till i go on a long trip before i can give an honest assesment.

talk to a couple of friends, they brought up a good point, depending on the exhaust, you can increase or decrease your top end or low end....the power with this exhaust seems to kick in at the mid point...low end seems the same.

but again, this has only been like 20 to 30 miles on it so far, so it really isnt fair to really judge if it has helped in the MPG department or not.

while idling...my MPG's go down, as i ride at cruising speeds, it jumps right up there...again, i think my computer needs to adjust, as the tranny shifts differently now, i can tell it gained some power, but the amount cant be fairly calculated.

I will post pics and post a video clip of the sound inside and out of the truck....but its hard to really suggest this setup without really using it for some time. but as of right now, i would say stock over the super 44...but for bad ass sound, super 44 lol

I will write a full review, to include some offroading, long distance trips and so on.

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Impressed...just got back from denver today, and i calculated my MPG's...remarkably, my mileage went up...which i figured it would, just wasnt 100% sure.

seemed like everything needed to adjust or whatever...but today, i got 16MPG on the highway easily...so i was stoked! im still running an assessment, considering it could have been anything this time out, for all i know, it could have been the wind hitting me from behind...so i would like to see how it does on more than a few occasions. but so far so good.

here is a video and some pics of the exhaust as i mentioned earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIHae57dSks

also here are som pics:

1-1.jpg

11-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a Volant CAI and a Flowmaster 44 at the same time. I then went on a long trip.

This is what i noticed:

- Milage got worse by .2 over 700-800 miles
- Drone in cabin is pretty loud at 2000 rpm ( which is the most common RPM range for our trucks )
- I didn't notice any performance increase
- It sounds much louder and rumbley
-

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had it on for about 1000 miles thus far..

MPG, noticed no difference at all In city..Hwy, noticed a slight increase...again like what was explained earlier, my truck isnt down shifting as much as it was when doing Hwy driving...

For Drone...i only notice it at certain times, on the hwy its hardly noticeable when hitting speeds at 75 to 80 MPH....when going 60 to 65..its noticeable.

so at like 2500 rpm's not noticeable for me...at around 2000..its more so. On one outing, drove about 30 miles, became busy and my truck was like hitting the perfect RPM range to provide a constant drone to where i felt like i was in a tin can and somebody was beating the hell out of it LOL but it isnt really all that bad, and it sounds killer...

My K&N air filter was by far a better MPG gain than the exhaust. i went from 14MPG Hwy, to like 16-17MPG...

if you just want a MPG gain, just spend the 35 bucks and buy a K&N, do NOT toss the stock air filter, just in case you need to get any warranty work done to your truck. Here is a short movie clip of my exhaust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIHae57dSks

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
this is not the first 2-3 mpg claim on a K&N filter and I wonder what is true. some guys say they lost MPG, others no change, some ,5MPG...then there's the 2-3 MPG guys. I don't get it?

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont see how elevation could differ, but its a probable culprit. im at 6700 ft...

I went back to stock air filter cause i have to clean my K&N..im back down to 14Mpg on average from where i am located. with the K&N...i get 16 to 17 out here on the highway

It might make a bigger difference for me considering i need more air....I was even wondering if i can go down to 85 octane...but talking it over with some friends, come to find out, it all depends what my stock system was tuned for, which is 87...so its irrelevant what fuel i run, its best if i stick with 87 or E85.

A lot of people out here has changed to a K&N air filter, just allows more air to enter. I also got a alum pipe fabricated to work with the stock housing, basically removing all the air silencers....no cuts or mods necessary, so in case i need to install the stock OEM for routine maint i can.

maybe for peeps at sea level, they have more than enough air entering their engines...so a K&N might make an adverse effect. I know with my old 2005 F150 (same 5.4), i installed duals and a K&N...i noticed a small difference when i installed the K&N when i was stationed in cali, so maybe thats why you get mixed reviews. I noticed a better gain with duals.

But im going with this setup before i head on down to Utah on the 19th...as i would like to save some ends on gas for the long haul.