Im experiencing some pretty bad "interference"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Background: 2013 Screw Fully loaded

Had a 20 inch light bar and a Icom VHF since practically day one. 2 months ago I installed the M&R version 2 hood mounts. Last month I installed the M&R radius roof bar. With all these electrical mods I've never experience anything.

Until now.

When driving at any rate of speed, doesn't matter if I'm accelerating, decelerating, or stopped, I will get sporatic LOUD interference through my speakers that doesn't increase or decrease with the radio volume. So when I turn the radio volume down, the interference is just as loud as when the radio is full blast. It's sporatic and unpredictable. I went under my hood and checked all my wires. Nothing is exposed. I know the VHS coax can cause interference but it hasn't messed up for 8 months.

The sound is a high pitched monotone sound that last anywhere from 3 seconds to 3 minutes. Nothing I can do makes it better or worse.

Have any of you experienced this type of issue before?

On a separate note, I'm also getting this error when there's ABSOLUTELY nothing back there:

image-886878188.jpg

Attachments

• image-4157572271.jpg
    image-4157572271.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
jackrook

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The interference is coming from my stock radio. My VHF hasn't been turned on in 2 months.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

When I put my ear to the center speaker on the dashboard I can CLEARLY hear the interference. I haven't had a chance to check my other speakers simply because my fat ass can't bend down the low while driving. But I'm assuming for as pound as it is, it's coming from all of them.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
start checking all the ground connections.. look for a frayed wire or some place wiring has rubbed.. Secondly disconnect all the added sources you put on... Then test for the noise... I mean disconnect at the battery everything you can and isolate when you do hear it and when you don't... Lastly do you have a 3.5mm connection between the stock radio and your VHF...

OP
OP
jackrook

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
start checking all the ground connections.. look for a frayed wire or some place wiring has rubbed.. Secondly disconnect all the added sources you put on... Then test for the noise... I mean disconnect at the battery everything you can and isolate when you do hear it and when you don't... Lastly do you have a 3.5mm connection between the stock radio and your VHF...

The only thing I have connected straight to the battery is my VHF. The grounds for my lights are all 3 connected with a self tapping metal screw above and to the left of my radiator

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Start disconnecting things.. You could also try fuses and just start pulling the accessory fuses and see if it goes away... I would double check the lighting grounds by disconnecting the lights.....

OP
OP
jackrook

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I may have found the issue. Louse ground connections. I used a self tapping metal screw for my first ground. And I kept pulling it out and adding more ground fish eyes to it. So now the same hole has been used 3 times with a self tapping screw and it's very loose. I can keep turning it by hand. It won't lock in place.

Could this be it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner