I'm done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys (and Gals) I sure hope you all get your trucks ASAP and they work without issue, I sincerely mean that. But I’m afraid when the 15,000+ that Ford has held back hit the streets this forum and others will go mad. I sure hope not. Good luck all.

Brand new poster to the forum and to Ford. Appreciate you taking the time to post as it helps me sort out the real information from the rumors and stories being told by dealers, Ford reps, etc. I get that delays happen, especially on first year lines, but the way these dealers have treated many of their customers is disgraceful. They disseminate false information, back out of orders, and change around allocations all while charging a massive premium.

I was very excited about my Raptor and was happy to wait the 4-5 months my dealer told me it would be. However, I still don't even have a VIN and no way to know if/when my order will ever be fulfilled. Hearing stories like yours makes me really hope that someone at Ford realizes they've made some missteps here. The way they did the allocations, the way the dealership network works, etc -- it's just a relic of an era where the Internet didn't exist and customers couldn't pool information together to actually determine the truth. The Ram 1500 Rebel is starting to look pretty nice in comparison and if the TRX Concept ever gets built might make for a worthy Raptor competitor. Here's hoping!

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I test drove the Rebel and did not care for the air suspension or the bright interior trim or trans, but power was great. Then looked up exactly how those bags are made and the fasteners where they mount are plastic. Check out BDS lift install video on there web site they go into detail on removal and replacement with there lift kit. One cool thing is they use nitrogen, but it needs a tank that the dealer services to maintain. Cold and moisture issues would be eliminated with nitro. So not a air compressor system. After I seen that BDS video I knew those air bags were not for me. That have to go in just right or big problems. Google Ram air suspension problems. Theres lists of issues and alignment problems due to this system. The exterior of the Rebel looks great and the price was tempting. Tundra with a after market Icon coilover suspension would be my next choice after a Raptor. Resale and maintenance big factor, boring looks though. Too bad Ford does not have this figured out. Losing life long customers over production issues is not good.

I respect everything you have said about the Rebel, but it may also come down to how long one expects to keep the vehicle. I will likely have mine for less than 4 months, depending on how long it takes to fulfill my Raptor order. I've had 2 Raptors in the past ('13 & '14), and to me, in comparison, I love the air suspension on the Rebel. Loved the Raptors of course too, but for the $ I paid for the Rebel, it is a tremendous value, to me at least. I have high confidence it will stay screwed together for at least 4 months, and the driving dynamics, again to me, are exceptional. I am very fussy about my vehicles, and was off-put by photos of the Rebel's interior. However, in person, I was pleasantly surprised--not tacky at all to my eye. If you like the Rebel, any aspects of it, but don't like the "bright interior trim", may I suggest you look into the RAM Rebel Black, which is monotone inside, as well as even being available with Katzkin leather over the more boisterous standard attire. As for resale, yes indeed the Rebel is going to fall much harder and faster than the Raptor. However, if purchased properly, you won't do too bad on residual values, at least in the near term. A good metric to use is Vroom, whom I've done business with. When I purchased my new 2017 Rebel on January 3rd this year, from the World's Largest CHRYSLER/DODGE/RAM/JEEP dealer, as a special year end deal, my price was lower than what Vroom was selling a 2016 unit with 16,000 miles (and I say "selling", as Vroom's business model is the same business methodology as Amazon--price you see on the pair of shoes is price you pay). Ultimately, to each their own. I'm just passing along that, as a true auto fanatic, and previous owner of 2 Raptor SCREWS, the Rebel gets the nod from me--I would not hesitate to buy it again, or recommend it to those in the truck market.

bdub85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering it rains about 80 inches a year here (for comparison, Seattle has about 38 inches a year)...i'll be the first to test out that theory

It's been raining almost everyday here since I got my truck. No issues yet.

Ohiodish

Reaction score
I respect everything you have said about the Rebel, but it may also come down to how long one expects to keep the vehicle. I will likely have mine for less than 4 months, depending on how long it takes to fulfill my Raptor order. I've had 2 Raptors in the past ('13 & '14), and to me, in comparison, I love the air suspension on the Rebel. Loved the Raptors of course too, but for the $ I paid for the Rebel, it is a tremendous value, to me at least. I have high confidence it will stay screwed together for at least 4 months, and the driving dynamics, again to me, are exceptional. I am very fussy about my vehicles, and was off-put by photos of the Rebel's interior. However, in person, I was pleasantly surprised--not tacky at all to my eye. If you like the Rebel, any aspects of it, but don't like the "bright interior trim", may I suggest you look into the RAM Rebel Black, which is monotone inside, as well as even being available with Katzkin leather over the more boisterous standard attire. As for resale, yes indeed the Rebel is going to fall much harder and faster than the Raptor. However, if purchased properly, you won't do too bad on residual values, at least in the near term. A good metric to use is Vroom, whom I've done business with. When I purchased my new 2017 Rebel on January 3rd this year, from the World's Largest CHRYSLER/DODGE/RAM/JEEP dealer, as a special year end deal, my price was lower than what Vroom was selling a 2016 unit with 16,000 miles (and I say "selling", as Vroom's business model is the same business methodology as Amazon--price you see on the pair of shoes is price you pay). Ultimately, to each their own. I'm just passing along that, as a true auto fanatic, and previous owner of 2 Raptor SCREWS, the Rebel gets the nod from me--I would not hesitate to buy it again, or recommend it to those in the truck market.
I keep my trucks a long time is why it didn't work for me. My 07 Tundra I had for 7 years. I would have no problem keeping the Ram for 4 months or even a 3 year lease for that matter. But I'm looking long term. I still have my 04 Cayenne Turbo with less than 100k miles that still runs fantastic but I can't sell it since it's worth less than $10k via KBB. Rather keep it than give it away. I would not consider in 4 months that your owning a Ram, I'd say your just dating!

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not source a gen 1 truck? Market is flooded with the trucks the people traded in for gen 2. I am going to be buying another gen 1 with lower miles.... priced very low since value dropped out. The market for them will rebound when the gen 2 issues creep out.

Here we go with the Gen1 prices low AGAIN. I don't know where you are, but here they still holding up. The local Ford lot has a 2013 with 30k for 49,900. Since that is just a couple grand under what I paid for my 2014 new, looks like holding up to me!

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here we go with the Gen1 prices low AGAIN. I don't know where you are, but here they still holding up. The local Ford lot has a 2013 with 30k for 49,900. Since that is just a couple grand under what I paid for my 2014 new, looks like holding up to me!

A month ago I bought my '13 SCrew loaded with 50k miles for $43.5k.
I was very happy with that price. Granted I had to put new tires on it immediately, but still a fair price as far as I'm concerned.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The only drops in price I've seen are the 10-12's with higher mileage. No surprise mileage hurts resale value.

13's and 14's under 50k miles still command 45k+ to 50k+ from what I've seen

nh rapta owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had a trade offer for my 14screw with 14000 miles on it for 49000 only paid 52500 for it very very tempting?

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score

This is exactly why I am buying them up locally. The value absolutely tanked here.

So, let me have YOU value my truck...
2012 supercrew, black on black, has all options, new tires and 46k miles.
Tell me what that truck is worth.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Just had a trade offer for my 14screw with 14000 miles on it for 49000 only paid 52500 for it very very tempting?

Trade price is such a wildcard. What matters is the actual total spend. A dealer may say we give you $49k for your truck, but how much is the next vehicle you are purchasing? Look at the net spend and make sure numbers work. It is so easy to bury $$$ in deals and people have no idea.