Icom ic 7000 install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
the yeti

the yeti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you plan on wiring a remote switch for the tuner? I have version for my FT-857d, and in order for it to tune you have to push the button on the tuner. Being behind the seat like that is gonna make that difficult.

No I can run the tuner from the head unit or from the mic.(don't have to touch tuner at all).
You can manual override and push the button on the box if you want but the icom can control it and will memorize 2000 tuned settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

the 7000 is like my 857 UHF/VHF and all HF bands. If you look close at the pics it has two separate antenna ports. HF on one and UHF/VHF on the other.

yeti, are you a ham to?

Correct VHF/UHF /hf

Yep but a newbie. This is my first radio. Just took my exam a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No I can run the tuner from the head unit or from the mic.(don't have to touch tuner at all).

Correct VHF/UHF /hf

Yep but a newbie. This is my first radio. Just took my exam a few weeks ago.

Nice, my LDG stays in the house. When the HF radio is in the truck I have the Yaesu antenna that auto tunes with the radio. Now you need to upgrade to general so you can use the good HF bands. :)

KD2CDV is the call here

OP
OP
the yeti

the yeti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, my LDG stays in the house. When the HF radio is in the truck I have the Yaesu antenna that auto tunes with the radio. Now you need to upgrade to general so you can use the good HF bands. :)

KD2CDV is the call here

Kf5wif here

If I have some setup issues can I pm you?

OP
OP
the yeti

the yeti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have it all installed now. nmo roof mount, put venture seal on the roof for the mag Wilson 1000 to sit on so it won't scratch the paint, programmed as well but cannot get the av video to work on the mft. Keeps showing video selected flickers and repeats.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have done many radio installs and never had to roll the truck over or even onto it's side. Did that make it any easier?

Nice write up and photos. Nice radio too.:drool:

OP
OP
the yeti

the yeti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to go back and look what I had typed. The pictures weren't rotated right.

Iam running a external speaker by my right knee on edge of seat bracket and have it wired to the av inputs as well. I just cannot get the video to go to the screen the mft won't show the vid feed even in park with the brake on.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hahaha

I have my Yaesu set up so that I can use the internal speaker, the A/V line in or an external speaker tucked in the headliner above my right ear. Makes for a nice variety of listening choices.

That'll be neat when you get the Icon-MFT display straightened out. Check with Car Stereo Company here on FRF to see about the display. I don't know if he knows radios, but he does know them fancy car stereo gizmos.