I was "that guy" today driving "too fast" in the snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or Texas. LOL What I like is when they get in "the mountains" OMG 45 in a 65 on the curves. Then you get a straight passing lane and they speed up to 80. Then back to 45 on the curves. If rocket launchers on cars were a thing, there would be a lot of wreckage up here.

This. We have a gently sweeping interchange onramp downtown that is very stupidly designed as one lane. I think people freak out about it, or they take in the view of downtown or something, because that thing will back up for miles even if both interstates are clear. Sometimes it's quicker to get off, take the surface streets, and get back on. It's ridiculous.

We see these people all the time. Usually with California plates.

In Florida, it's everyone who doesn't have a Florida plate when it's raining. Also, I hopefully don't have to tell you that it's illegal to use hazards in Florida during the rain—and that if you do that, I wish I had a push bar installed.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This. We have a gently sweeping interchange onramp downtown that is very stupidly designed as one lane. I think people freak out about it, or they take in the view of downtown or something, because that thing will back up for miles even if both interstates are clear. Sometimes it's quicker to get off, take the surface streets, and get back on. It's ridiculous.

In Florida, it's everyone who doesn't have a Florida plate when it's raining. Also, I hopefully don't have to tell you that it's illegal to use hazards in Florida during the rain—and that if you do that, I wish I had a push bar installed.

Hazards and moving slowly in the rain is very common down here. Commonly stupid at that.

It’s been dry down on the south end for weeks. We had a day or two or horrendous downpours and think many had to relearn how to drive in the rain.

NHbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was almost "that guy" last winter going north to a NH ski resort in a storm.
It's probably the same every where, on a freeway, in a storm. The right land gets the most of the travel so the lane has two grooves down to the pavement. That pavement maybe be icy, hard packed, or clear. Of course "slush piles" line the left, right, and center of the right lane. As painted lane lines are not visible the right lane drifts into the left lane especially in left sweepers.
Only the brave venture into the land of the left lane in a bad storm.
Enter Me stage left.
Passing long lines of trucks and cars lined up in the right lane is gratifying but comes at a price. White knuckles.
Even in a Raptor with new tires bad things can happen in that left lane.
One of those unplowed sections sprayed with slush grabbed my front left tire at speed and pulled.
At that point the ****** loosen and you find religion
Braking, will end badly
Yanking on the wheel, will end badly
All you can do is lift and hope for the best
It has worked a couple times for me.
I've seen some in the median for whom it didn't work.
Stay safe...

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another gong show on the road today - might have gotten another 4" and maybe 2-3 more coming.

The asshattery on the road just makes me shake my head - why clear your windows off? Conga line with some stooge in front driving like 20. No winter tires (many ins companies require winter tires Nov-Apr). No signals, no lights etc

Snow just throws everyone into a tizzy.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know all over New Jersey there are signs that say " Stay to the right except to Pass" but it is one law that nobody follows and the police and State Troopers don`t seem do do a thing about it except to flash their lights when they want someone out of the lane for going 55 in a 65mph zone
You look at the additional risks that people take to get around these law breakers who are just as guilty as the people going 10 mph over the posted speed limit. And its not all bad news either, I have been asked by the local police to help get them into areas that they were not able to get into because of high water of high snow.and when I say high water it is not in an area where I or anyone else would be swept away. There is a Youtube video of the National Guard coming into Manville during one of the floods and getting in a little too deep and one of the actual Reserve members not knowing how to swim, but they would not listen to the people that lived there, myself included telling them exactly how deep the water was.

https://carbuzz.com/news/video-national-guard-tries-and-fails-to-drive-through-a-flood

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was almost "that guy" last winter going north to a NH ski resort in a storm.
It's probably the same every where, on a freeway, in a storm. The right land gets the most of the travel so the lane has two grooves down to the pavement. That pavement maybe be icy, hard packed, or clear. Of course "slush piles" line the left, right, and center of the right lane. As painted lane lines are not visible the right lane drifts into the left lane especially in left sweepers.
Only the brave venture into the land of the left lane in a bad storm.
Enter Me stage left.
Passing long lines of trucks and cars lined up in the right lane is gratifying but comes at a price. White knuckles.
Even in a Raptor with new tires bad things can happen in that left lane.
One of those unplowed sections sprayed with slush grabbed my front left tire at speed and pulled.
At that point the ****** loosen and you find religion
Braking, will end badly
Yanking on the wheel, will end badly
All you can do is lift and hope for the best
It has worked a couple times for me.
I've seen some in the median for whom it didn't work.
Stay safe...

this right here is a perfect scenario where you will find snow tires >>>>>> ATs or All season etc. - like ALOT different

equivalent to the difference between running all seasons or slicks/DRs @ the drag strip

and I’m not saying everyone “should” be running snows in winter- all depends on your driving habits/geography/situation etc

but this isn’t the first truck I’ve had em on before, and much like driving a 4x4 crew cab truck in general vs anything else as a DD, once I experienced what it’s like running snows on a 4x4 truck in winter - esp studded snows ;-) I simply can’t settle for anything less. It really eliminates a lot of the annoyance of winter driving

Last edited:

CobraJay

Tweaker by trade
Reaction score
When I find a set of light weight rims I like I plan on running Nokians on my beadlocks. You wont believe how much better a dedicated snow tire is until you try one. Not that I have had any issues with the KO2's in the snow and ice, dedicated snows are just that good.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I find a set of light weight rims I like I plan on running Nokians on my beadlocks. You wont believe how much better a dedicated snow tire is until you try one. Not that I have had any issues with the KO2's in the snow and ice, dedicated snows are just that good.

Once my KO2s are gone on my winter wheels I’m gonna go with some Nokian LT3s.