I want to love my new truck, but still havent "connected" with it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I said emissions to cover the full gamut of EPA testing; you're right it is more closely tied to the MPG rating than anything else.

I can't give you a specific source, but I've seen it several times for different places, hence me being confident enough to pass it on. Begs the question why 'eco' mode is just an option in some cars, but trucks have always had different metrics so I dunno.

I recall this being talked about in one of the biggest reviews back in 2017. I'll try to dig it up sometime

doesn’t the current Mustang have manual selection for drive modes?; that is, push button, and it doesn’t reset.

again I’m looking for something that says “you must test every drive mode you provide OR must default to the tested mode.

It’s not altering the a/f ratio, it’s not dumping scads of pollution into the air, it’s not doing anything more than f***ing with liberal enlightened sensibilities by changing drive modes. ok, some magic voodoo happens with throttle response, shift patterns, etc. but there’s got to be practically nothing emissions wise involved.

Because again, if any of the modes altered the emissions and made it into a VW diesel like earth f*cker we’d all be using that drive mode and Ford would have been fined huge already.

I know you’re confident that this is why it is the way it is; I’m less confident that is actually the case. It might be what someone ham fistedly told some moto-rag writer, but I’m thinking it is case of so and so said blah, blah, blah, moto-rag writer wrote blah-blah, yada yada, and the story blossomed from there.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@smurfslayer

"If a vehicle has various drive modes but defaults back to Normal whenever you turn the engine back on, the EPA draws its fuel-economy ratings from the Normal mode.
But vehicles that default to a fuel-saving mode at start-up — like the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee — set economy as the “predominant” drive mode from which the EPA bases its MPG ratings, the agency told us.

If a vehicle has drive-mode system that stays in whatever you last drove, the EPA may not be able to establish a “predominant” mode. In such cases, “the vehicle is tested in the various modes and the fuel economy results from the best and worst modes are harmonically averaged,” EPA officials wrote. “For example, if a vehicle has a sport mode, normal mode, and economy mode, the fuel economy results of the sport and economy modes would be averaged.”

Source: https://www.cars.com/articles/do-al...-affect-a-cars-epa-gas-mileage-1420663064071/

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is really something that the Gen 1 has that the Gen 2 doesn't.

Yup...first off I fell in love with the Gen1 when it first came out..still think its a great looking and performing trk...second...I'm a pretty die hard V8 guy...BUT the Gen2 had so many other things going for it I just let it go....and very little remorse(yeah the V8 thing again)

And BTW my buddy had a 2014 Gen1 and I whooped it's ass on flat ground and even more going uphill....My Titan just was a monster out of the hole...so If I can get over missing that....:)

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By clicking on the big red rectangle with white lettering that says "Post new thread" on the parent forum page.
Hi Jabroni,
THANKS...but still not seeing "Post New Thread"....only seeing "Start a New Conversation" on my Alert Page....what am I missing...or am I having a Senior Moment..Not seeing it on the home page...?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
@smurfslayer

"If a vehicle has various drive modes but defaults back to Normal whenever you turn the engine back on, the EPA draws its fuel-economy ratings from the Normal mode.
But vehicles that default to a fuel-saving mode at start-up — like the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee — set economy as the “predominant” drive mode from which the EPA bases its MPG ratings, the agency told us.

If a vehicle has drive-mode system that stays in whatever you last drove, the EPA may not be able to establish a “predominant” mode. In such cases, “the vehicle is tested in the various modes and the fuel economy results from the best and worst modes are harmonically averaged,” EPA officials wrote. “For example, if a vehicle has a sport mode, normal mode, and economy mode, the fuel economy results of the sport and economy modes would be averaged.”

Source: https://www.cars.com/articles/do-al...-affect-a-cars-epa-gas-mileage-1420663064071/

So this is doable, it’s Ford’s choice, not EPA.
I’d gladly give up some rated mpg for defaulting to sport mode or “last selected”. Last selected would be way better off road as well.

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d gladly give up some rated mpg for defaulting to sport mode or “last selected”. Last selected would be way better off road as well.

It's more complicated than that. Manufacturers are rated on the average MPGs of their entire fleet. They need every ounce they can get.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score

You vs the general public. Lower MPG would result in a loss of millions of dollars per year vs virtually no sales lost because it's configured the way it is.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
@smurfslayer

Not sure if it’s true but I was told at Raptor assault that Baja mode was the only mode that was Offroad only and would not pass smog in that drive mode. Nothing to support that though might have been a story lol.

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that this is simply not the right truck for him this and that’s ok.

I know if I wrote about my thoughts around the Titan I would shred the truck and be depressed driving it daily as compared to the Raptor. It doesn’t mean the Titan is a bad truck, it’s just not right for me. Most Japanese vehicles aren’t for me.

I have bought vehicles before that I was unsure of and should have not forced the purchase, because it just never clicked for me. I sold them quickly and moved on.

For me the Raptor had me from the start. I think if you have to highly modify or wait 6 months to like something it’s probably not a good fit. My mods just enhanced a truck I loved stock.

I have no issues with the Raptor.
The sound a truck makes to me is irrelevant to performance.. non factor.
V6 vs V8, again non factor - the Gen 2 engine outperforms the Gen 1 engine in just about every way.. that’s what I care about.

Have fun shopping for your next ride...
Good analysis. Also worth noting that for those of us who live at altitude the TT V6 will do better than a NA V8.

I do agree with the OPs comments about the 10 speed transmission... It does seem to shift too much like it has too many gears for the way the Raptor engine is tuned. Maybe it's better on the regular F-150s. I agree that Normal mode wants to shift down too low and Sport mode often hangs gears up high for too long. Wish there was an option in the middle of the two. For now I've resorted to using the paddles a lot in both modes to counteract this.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that this is simply not the right truck for him this and that’s ok.

I know if I wrote about my thoughts around the Titan I would shred the truck and be depressed driving it daily as compared to the Raptor. It doesn’t mean the Titan is a bad truck, it’s just not right for me. Most Japanese vehicles aren’t for me.

I have bought vehicles before that I was unsure of and should have not forced the purchase, because it just never clicked for me. I sold them quickly and moved on.

For me the Raptor had me from the start. I think if you have to highly modify or wait 6 months to like something it’s probably not a good fit. My mods just enhanced a truck I loved stock.

I have no issues with the Raptor.
The sound a truck makes to me is irrelevant to performance.. non factor.
V6 vs V8, again non factor - the Gen 2 engine outperforms the Gen 1 engine in just about every way.. that’s what I care about.

Have fun shopping for your next ride...
Good analysis. Also worth noting that for those of us who live at altitude the TT V6 will do better than a NA V8.

I do agree with the OPs comments about the 10 speed transmission... It does seem to shift too much like it has too many gears for the way the Raptor engine is tuned. Maybe it's better on the regular F-150s. I agree that Normal mode wants to shift down too low and Sport mode often hangs gears up high for too long. Wish there was an option in the middle of the two. For now I've resorted to using the paddles a lot in both modes to counteract this.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk