I want to love my new truck, but still havent "connected" with it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But its true that the ride is fluttery over pavement and hard dirt...nothing I cant live with but just rougher
Oh yeah...I read about the rear being "skitterish" before I experienced it...At first I tried to correct the problem with throttle/steering changes which really didn't help...I then relaxed (still not happy with it) and let the rear do it's thing and nothing terrible happened...but still didn't like it..
I did finally check my tire pressures only to find out my dealer had them at 45 psi!...Way too much...reduced them down to 34 frt, 31 rear and it cured/reduced several issues...
Pretty sure the change to light weight Aluminum cab/bed added to the issues...

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
let’s look at these criticisms 1x1

Drive modes: I fully get this criticism and agree with it. Normal mode is to “economy” oriented and literally fights you on the street. There need to be something in between normal mode, which should be ‘economy’ mode, and sport mode. Some have reported using tow/haul mode but I believe that locks out 8-10th gear also

Both my ’09 Ducati and 14 Kaw have drive modes that you can customize to your liking, including the level of traction control interference or off entirely, so it’s not like the tech is that hard to implement. If Ducati can do it, anyone can. Most bike manufacturers make more of a single model of bikes than Ducati churns out in total.
I’ve heard a lot of “EPA mandated” - bikes have to go through it too. The drive modes aren’t as convenient as Ford would have us think. Gone are the days when you simply turned off the pavement, yanked the lever into 4h and hit the gas. Now it’s stop, figure out the terrain, decide what mode to select, wait for the transfer case to catch up, then go. I know it’s all gadgety, but it’s far from convenient. And then there’s the “revert to normal mode at start up” bull$hit. Neither of my gadgety super bikes did this, and my truck shouldn’t either. I know there’s probably some Ford engineer whining about some knucklehead leaving the truck in rock crawl / starbucks mode, but come on, this could be way better.

Normal would not suck as bad if was a more aggressive shift pattern and less lazy throttle and I seriously doubt we’d lose any economy over those changes.

I think sport and the rest of the drive modes we have present a choice of either adapting to the vehicle or not liking it. Drive modes not fully suiting your needs is a legit complaint, it’s not a 100% match for probably a lot more people on here than care to admit. How hard would it be for Ford to give us a Raptor app, and let us make some subtle parameter changes like drive mode default, throttle delay in various modes and some of the other parameters like shock valving - maybe even an anti-dive for panic stops, etc. The Mustang GT performance pack has some track apps (that I’ve not even seen) but give a little leeway here and it would go a long way toward taming these criticisms.

I think OP has unrealistic expectations of the suspension and the complaint seems to center around handling manners for the ride not at speed. The adage ‘hit it faster and it’ll smooth out’ comes to mind. There’s no free lunch with suspension, no matter what the ride. You want luxury? buy a luxo-barge. It will have a smooth, composed ride, but you won’t be winning any autocross or track events. You want to win the auto-cross, you give up the luxury ride. You want to have a high speed off road oriented suspension, low speed ride is compromised. it’s true on cars, bikes and trucks. The truck floats to some extent, and can be unsettled by certain pavement conditions, but this is true of any live axle vehicle, and any of the current manufacturer’s off road oriented trucks with possibly one exception in the car world - Subaru. Within it’s limits of about 8-9 inches of travel and unloaded, they are capable of some pretty impressive stuff off road - right up to the point that they get stuck, but their ride quality is pretty settled. Off road bikes that you see on the street have the same issues; floaty, un-poised suspension that literally feels disconnected from the pavement. but put in an off road, gonzo terrain conditions similar to what the Raptor excels at and it handles it as expected and you have a lot more confidence in it in that environment.

So I think the Raptor suspension ‘complaints’ here are thinking the grass may be greener somewhere else. It’s not.

The tried and true complaint about the EcoBoost. You either like it or you don’t. ‘such a reputation’ look at the production numbers on this thing. OP said this is the biggest complaint, but typed twice as much about drive modes. I drive regularly in high 90’s to low 100’s and not had a problem. and the oil changes are messy. ok. I think others have made similar complaints and made suggestions on FRF as to how they handled it.

hey, if you miss the old truck you may have let it go too soon. 3 years is a pretty short turnaround, I’m at 2.5 years on my 2017 Rap. I feel like we’re a pretty good driver to vehicle match. Nothing’s perfect, I’d change things on the Raptor if it were up to me but not a whole lot.

Per EPA requirements, whatever mode the truck starts in is what the vehicle is tested on. If it remembered settings then they'd judge it on Baja mode, which would mean Ford would take a massive hit on emissions.

Normal mode is fine anyway. Most on road conditions it is about all you can take advantage of anyway. Still moves much quicker than 85% of the other vehicles on the road.

Driving modes are a huge improvement over the gen 1. It takes longer to switch to a mode than it does to determine the best one to use. For the Gen 1 you literally had to use a chart, and even then most people got/get it wrong. As it is, the modes are self explanatory and well calibrated.

termite352

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, dude. Life is short. If you’re not happy, we have nothing to change that. Buy what you want and enjoy it. No sense in bemoaning all the negatives. Oh yeah, is there anything about the truck you do like? I love my 2018 and can’t fathom driving anything else anytime soon, especially, after attending Raptor Assault school

Just a female public safety responders perspective and one of many Raptor owners out there.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I too wish there was a drive mode between Normal and Sport. The current Sport mode should be relabeled Sport+ with a reprogrammed Sport mode that has the throttle response as the current sport mode, with firmer, but not harsh upshifts and doesn't hold gears nearly as long.

In terms of power, the EB should have no problems smoking the rear tires if you turn TC off.

The rear suspension is a bit unrefined on rougher roads especially if you have no weight in the back and high tire pressures. I've got a couple hundred lbs of recovery gear in the back now which has made noticeable improvement in it's on-road manners.

It's not a perfect truck, but for me, it's the closest there currently is.

Mark J

Reaction score
I found a 2014 Raptor with the 6.2 V8 and love it! I bought it this Jan, it had 24k miles on it and still smelled new. It came with a 99k Ford warranty on it. It has a 6 speed not a 10 speed. The engine is awesome. It is low optioned which is what I wanted. I wanted the engine, trans, suspension, leather and that's about it. Maybe that's an option for you if you really want to stay with the baddest truck on the planet, just a different version. Great suggestions here, ultimately it's all you. Best of luck.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2017 Raptor is a lot less skitterish in the rear end than my last 3 F150s were, 2006 XLT, 2011 FX4 and 2014 FX4. The Raptor does it slightly but it never feels like it's getting out of control. Unlike my 3 previous trucks that I had several white knuckle driving experiences in.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2017 Raptor is a lot less skitterish in the rear end than my last 3 F150s were, 2006 XLT, 2011 FX4 and 2014 FX4. The Raptor does it slightly but it never feels like it's getting out of control. Unlike my 3 previous trucks that I had several white knuckle driving experiences in.

I agree. My previous F150s and F250s were very bouncy when empty. I put Deaver +3s on my 2018 and it rides much better than all previous trucks.

LeCreaux

Reaction score
I traded in a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I absolutely loved for my 2019 Raptor.

Almost immediately I missed the things that my Jeep did better. It handled better on the road, its all-wheel-drive was seamless. All of the electronics were much more refined. Its sport mode was a simple toggle on/off with the shifter. It had a Hemi engine that was ready to go at all times. The paddles put the shifting into a pseudo-manual mode beginning at the gear I was in. Plus it fit in the garage with feet to spare. And I could park it anywhere. I hated the double honk and the fake engine noise in the speakers. I definitely had some buyer's remorse.

But after awhile I got used to the Raptor and now I love it. Turned off the horn honk and fake engine noise. I'm 6'2" but I do have to use a step stool to check the oil, but that's OK. I just can't do it from inside the garage anymore, I have to open the garage door to open the hood. I've adjusted to the power band of the engine and the shifting has adjusted to me. I can feel where all the tires are now so driving feels safer. I've developed muscle memory for the controls. We've modified the interior for our dogs and everything has a place. We took some friends for a ride the other day and they raved about about the back seat room and the roof. Everyone who's been in the truck loves it and I love it. Plus it looks awesome. I got over my buyer's remorse.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys....not to go off subject,but HELP....how do you actually POST a QUESTION on the Forum....or,can someone enlighten me on if I need and what a "TUNE" would do for my 2014 Whippled Raptor...where do you get it done and appx. cost?? Oh..and whats a Forscan?
Hope you all had a fun and safe 4th....!!