I want to love my new truck, but still havent "connected" with it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys....not to go off subject,but HELP....how do you actually POST a QUESTION on the Forum....or,can someone enlighten me on if I need and what a "TUNE" would do for my 2014 Whippled Raptor...where do you get it done and appx. cost?? Oh..and whats a Forscan?
Hope you all had a fun and safe 4th....!!

By clicking on the big red rectangle with white lettering that says "Post new thread" on the parent forum page.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Per EPA requirements, whatever mode the truck starts in is what the vehicle is tested on. If it remembered settings then they'd judge it on Baja mode, which would mean Ford would take a massive hit on emissions.

Driving modes are a huge improvement over the gen 1. It takes longer to switch to a mode than it does to determine the best one to use. For the Gen 1 you literally had to use a chart, and even then most people got/get it wrong. As it is, the modes are self explanatory and well calibrated.

Not to be a jerk, but can you point to this requirement somewhere?

The only thing the drive modes change is not really altering the emissions; The throttle coming on sooner isn’t changing air to fuel or the map used by the computer. If it did, nobody would be driving around in normal mode. About the only thing I can see changing would be the mpg say between normal/sport and Baja mode. Maybe mud/sand. there might be an economy hit, but that has precious little to do with emissions.

I get that EPA is a huge PITA for certification, but there’s other ways to do this that would be a better implementation. I’ve seen some worse implementations too

David1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can relate. I know it sounds crazy but in some ways I miss my 16 F150 XLT 302A Sport FX4. It was loaded, Pano roof etc. It drove Great and was half the cost of the Raptor and I loved the cloth seats.

My Raptor is Awesome! Don't really have any complaints, however just my observation I could live without it. It has it's Awesomeness (probably not a word), but for the cost I could easily go back to an XLT F150 and be happy. This is my second Raptor (had a 13 Gen 1) and I wasn't that impressed with the way it drove, handled etc, however I don't off road them. Mine is a garage queen that never gets driven. Just like looking at it when I walk into my garage. You can flame me...thats ok!

Next truck will probably be another diesel that I don't need!

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But after awhile I got used to the Raptor and now I love it. Turned off the horn honk and fake engine noise. I'm 6'2" but I do have to use a step stool to check the oil, but that's OK. I just can't do it from inside the garage anymore, I have to open the garage door to open the hood.

I knew there would be things I missed on my Titan when I bought the Raptor...The Titan was freaky fast with a tune set on stun...AND I could check the oil without a stool!....The Titan had mid travel including glass 3" wider so already used to a wife truck...I got used to the Raptor real quick and haven't looked back!

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you been to Raptor Assault? If so and you still don't like your truck then you should buy something else. Your complaints are personal to you. There's not much I'd have them change about the Raptor as it is dialed in perfect. The modes are all awesome and if they "fixed" your complaints it would mess up the truck IMHO. You clearly have a set of expectations that are unique and if an old Titan fills your needs then go buy one and be happy. The nitpick things people like to complain about autostart stop/engine noise and the like are petty and easily addressed. The power/looks/suspension and overall capability are unmatched in the market and it's feels amazing owning something so capable and luxurious. If you don't feel the same way you will have a hard time "connecting" with your truck.

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know folks on this forum feel passionately about their trucks…but I just want to lay my thoughts out there and see if anyone else has these thoughts.

Had my 2019 Raptor for 6 months now. Traded in my 2007 Titan which I had bought new and put 200,000 miles on. While I like the Raptor I don’t really love it. Especially considering how much it costs. First there are some features that I’m not fond of: Auto Start/Stop, Auto Door Locks, Electronic Locking Tailgate, Double Horn Honk, and the various Drive Modes that have to be toggled. I know that most of these can be dealt with using Forscan so I wont dwell here.

With the drive modes it seems there aren’t any that suite ME. I like the response of sport mode on the street but hate the way it hangs onto the gears when I let off the throttle. When driving off-road, Normal mode upshifts to soon and takes me out of the power band. Switching to Deep Sand/Snow mode helps but the shift points are still a little high…and I’m stuck with using 4WD. That leads me to Baja mode. I love Baja mode for high-speed fun like racing my buddy down the beach…and it does allow me to go to 2WD for some awesome drifting/donuts…but for normal offroad driving the shift points are way too high. I also encounter situations that I'd like the shocks to be softer but this is only available in the offroad modes. These modes all have their place but really I could do without most of them if the truck just had more power and would let me toggle only the shocks. I mean there are individual settings for steering feel why not ride quality? Speaking of steering feel...every time I toggle drive modes my steering and traction control preferences get changed. I've literally spend an entire beach run toggling buttons trying to find what works for me only to have it all change next key cycle. All my previous trucks didn’t have these buttons yet always managed to stay in the band without bogging.

Then there’s the suspension. While it handles big bumps gracefully, its feels fluttery and unsettled over most rough roads. Seem like the back end is not in good coordination with the front. I will give it credit though for minimal body roll in corners so long as the road is smooth.

The biggest letdown in my opinion is the EcoBoost. I went into it open minded but its just underwhelming for this type of truck. Gas mileage is only a slight improvement over my old truck and now I’m using premium gas. It makes decent power but has to build up to it…performance does suffer badly in Texas’ climate too. What kinda truck puts out 510 lb-ft of torque and can’t even smoke the tires? My old V8 powered truck had significantly less power but felt lighter on its feet and more responsive.

I’m especially concerned about the longevity of this Ecoboom engine. I had no idea there was such a reputation of engine failures. Like my previous truck I had planned to keep this one beyond 200k/10yrs but now I’m concerned about post-warranty. Maintenance is frustrating as well. Have to climb into the engine bay, with a flashlight, to check or add oil; and every oil change has resulted in an Exxon Valdez in my garage.

I honestly miss my old Titan. It was simple and tough. Seemed to be built more solid and had some practical (to me) features that I miss having. To bad the new ones are such an eyesore.

Not trolling here. I got it in my head that I wanted a new truck and bought the coolest one I could afford. And it is COOL! I have no interest in Chevy/GMC junk, ugly (new) Titan, boring Toyota, and Dodge…some features turned me off of them but I could reconsider later.

I don't know how, but as soon as I finished reading the post header, I immediately went into "this dude is suffering from 2 less cylinderisis." There is really something that the Gen 1 has that the Gen 2 doesn't. Wether its heckling mouth breathers on this page, (not forum) the fact you have to call it an Eco Boom, or all the bells and whistlesare just too much, I agree with a few of the good guys that say try a Gen 1. Maybe, possibly, the next model will have a V8 and you can go in that direction. The Titan was a severely underrated truck. That motor screamed bloody murder when modified. I definitely found many similarities between my frontier and a Gen 1, including the fuel mileage! Try one out and see for yourself before you throw the towel in on ford.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The only thing the drive modes change is not really altering the emissions; The throttle coming on sooner isn’t changing air to fuel or the map used by the computer. If it did, nobody would be driving around in normal mode. About the only thing I can see changing would be the mpg say between normal/sport and Baja mode. Maybe mud/sand. there might be an economy hit, but that has precious little to do with emissions.

I get that EPA is a huge PITA for certification, but there’s other ways to do this that would be a better implementation. I’ve seen some worse implementations too

The fuel economy is also an EPA rating

TRUEFF

Reaction score
It seems to me that this is simply not the right truck for him this and that’s ok.

I know if I wrote about my thoughts around the Titan I would shred the truck and be depressed driving it daily as compared to the Raptor. It doesn’t mean the Titan is a bad truck, it’s just not right for me. Most Japanese vehicles aren’t for me.

I have bought vehicles before that I was unsure of and should have not forced the purchase, because it just never clicked for me. I sold them quickly and moved on.

For me the Raptor had me from the start. I think if you have to highly modify or wait 6 months to like something it’s probably not a good fit. My mods just enhanced a truck I loved stock.

I have no issues with the Raptor.
The sound a truck makes to me is irrelevant to performance.. non factor.
V6 vs V8, again non factor - the Gen 2 engine outperforms the Gen 1 engine in just about every way.. that’s what I care about.

Have fun shopping for your next ride...

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I said emissions to cover the full gamut of EPA testing; you're right it is more closely tied to the MPG rating than anything else.

I can't give you a specific source, but I've seen it several times for different places, hence me being confident enough to pass it on. Begs the question why 'eco' mode is just an option in some cars, but trucks have always had different metrics so I dunno.

I recall this being talked about in one of the biggest reviews back in 2017. I'll try to dig it up sometime