I want to love my new truck, but still havent "connected" with it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know folks on this forum feel passionately about their trucks…but I just want to lay my thoughts out there and see if anyone else has these thoughts.

Had my 2019 Raptor for 6 months now. Traded in my 2007 Titan which I had bought new and put 200,000 miles on. While I like the Raptor I don’t really love it. Especially considering how much it costs. First there are some features that I’m not fond of: Auto Start/Stop, Auto Door Locks, Electronic Locking Tailgate, Double Horn Honk, and the various Drive Modes that have to be toggled. I know that most of these can be dealt with using Forscan so I wont dwell here.

With the drive modes it seems there aren’t any that suite ME. I like the response of sport mode on the street but hate the way it hangs onto the gears when I let off the throttle. When driving off-road, Normal mode upshifts to soon and takes me out of the power band. Switching to Deep Sand/Snow mode helps but the shift points are still a little high…and I’m stuck with using 4WD. That leads me to Baja mode. I love Baja mode for high-speed fun like racing my buddy down the beach…and it does allow me to go to 2WD for some awesome drifting/donuts…but for normal offroad driving the shift points are way too high. I also encounter situations that I'd like the shocks to be softer but this is only available in the offroad modes. These modes all have their place but really I could do without most of them if the truck just had more power and would let me toggle only the shocks. I mean there are individual settings for steering feel why not ride quality? Speaking of steering feel...every time I toggle drive modes my steering and traction control preferences get changed. I've literally spend an entire beach run toggling buttons trying to find what works for me only to have it all change next key cycle. All my previous trucks didn’t have these buttons yet always managed to stay in the band without bogging.

Then there’s the suspension. While it handles big bumps gracefully, its feels fluttery and unsettled over most rough roads. Seem like the back end is not in good coordination with the front. I will give it credit though for minimal body roll in corners so long as the road is smooth.

The biggest letdown in my opinion is the EcoBoost. I went into it open minded but its just underwhelming for this type of truck. Gas mileage is only a slight improvement over my old truck and now I’m using premium gas. It makes decent power but has to build up to it…performance does suffer badly in Texas’ climate too. What kinda truck puts out 510 lb-ft of torque and can’t even smoke the tires? My old V8 powered truck had significantly less power but felt lighter on its feet and more responsive.

I’m especially concerned about the longevity of this Ecoboom engine. I had no idea there was such a reputation of engine failures. Like my previous truck I had planned to keep this one beyond 200k/10yrs but now I’m concerned about post-warranty. Maintenance is frustrating as well. Have to climb into the engine bay, with a flashlight, to check or add oil; and every oil change has resulted in an Exxon Valdez in my garage.

I honestly miss my old Titan. It was simple and tough. Seemed to be built more solid and had some practical (to me) features that I miss having. To bad the new ones are such an eyesore.

Not trolling here. I got it in my head that I wanted a new truck and bought the coolest one I could afford. And it is COOL! I have no interest in Chevy/GMC junk, ugly (new) Titan, boring Toyota, and Dodge…some features turned me off of them but I could reconsider later.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so things I would recommend:

1) Look into a tune. You can get them customized for your driving style, and that should help quite a bit.
2) There are several documented ways of disabling the auto-stop feature.
3) Have you checked your tire pressure? Especially on the rears. I run mine at 35psi and notice little difference between how my Raptor rides vs how my '16 F150 XLT rode.
4) It's hard to burn tires if traction control is on. Try turning it off and see how easily you can burn your rears in even regular mode.
5) Look into a Fumoto oil valve. I bought one (haven't installed it yet), and have read they make oil changes much easier.

I wouldn't worry too much about the stability of the ecoboost platform. The content on here will have you thinking the EB engines are junk. Fact of the matter (for me) is that this is my fourth EB engine, almost 200,000 miles on them combined, and absolutely zero issues. I don't tend to drive vehicles as long as you drove your last truck, but I have little reason to believe my EB engine won't make it to 200k if I kept it that long.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sell it and buy an older Titan. If you liked it that much why switch. You should be able to sell the 19 Raptor pretty easily. I am not being crass, it just sounds as though you have already formed a prejudice regarding the Raptor. If YOU feel this way why in the world would you let others whom you have no tangible relationship with other than an internet forum sway your findings. Especially the concerns you list above, which do seem to be a hodgepodge of many issues brought forth on these forums. Sure the internet can be an incredible tool, but it can also be very misleading. Too many times ones opinions are influenced by all the rhetoric that floods the forums.

Push away from the keyboard, disregard all the posts concerning what pertain to your issues, and drive the truck. If you still don't like it, and it doesn't deliver the WOW factor you want, sell it. Pretty simple.

Sam

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had my 2019 Raptor for 6 months now. Traded in my 2007 Titan which I had bought new and put 200,000 miles on. While I like the Raptor I don’t really love it. Especially considering how much it costs. First there are some features that I’m not fond of: Auto Start/Stop, Auto Door Locks, Electronic Locking Tailgate, Double Horn Honk, and the various Drive Modes that have to be toggled. I know that most of these can be dealt with using Forscan so I wont dwell here.

All non issues. Learn to live with them, or put forth the effort to correct them via forescan.

With the drive modes it seems there aren’t any that suite ME. I like the response of sport mode on the street but hate the way it hangs onto the gears when I let off the throttle. When driving off-road, Normal mode upshifts to soon and takes me out of the power band. Switching to Deep Sand/Snow mode helps but the shift points are still a little high…and I’m stuck with using 4WD. That leads me to Baja mode. I love Baja mode for high-speed fun like racing my buddy down the beach…and it does allow me to go to 2WD for some awesome drifting/donuts…but for normal offroad driving the shift points are way too high. I also encounter situations that I'd like the shocks to be softer but this is only available in the offroad modes. These modes all have their place but really I could do without most of them if the truck just had more power and would let me toggle only the shocks. I mean there are individual settings for steering feel why not ride quality? Speaking of steering feel...every time I toggle drive modes my steering and traction control preferences get changed. I've literally spend an entire beach run toggling buttons trying to find what works for me only to have it all change next key cycle. All my previous trucks didn’t have these buttons yet always managed to stay in the band without bogging.

Drive modes are what they are. use them for how they are intended. At one point you talk about baja mode being great for racing your buddy on the beach, but then you blast it for too high of shift points when off roading normally. Well. it is not meant for normal off roading.

It is a boosted engine. any version of performance driving keeps the revs up to retain power. If you had a manual, that is how you should drive it.

It is adaptive suspension, not selective suspension. That all costs money and makes a $75k truck an $80k truck.

Drive modes are programmed to make the most of the truck for the terrain. shifts, suspension, brake bias, steering, traction control are all optimized for that mode. stop thinking you know better.

The biggest letdown in my opinion is the EcoBoost. I went into it open minded but its just underwhelming for this type of truck. Gas mileage is only a slight improvement over my old truck and now I’m using premium gas. It makes decent power but has to build up to it…performance does suffer badly in Texas’ climate too. What kinda truck puts out 510 lb-ft of torque and can’t even smoke the tires? My old V8 powered truck had significantly less power but felt lighter on its feet and more responsive.

I’m especially concerned about the longevity of this Ecoboom engine. I had no idea there was such a reputation of engine failures. Like my previous truck I had planned to keep this one beyond 200k/10yrs but now I’m concerned about post-warranty. Maintenance is frustrating as well. Have to climb into the engine bay, with a flashlight, to check or add oil; and every oil change has resulted in an Exxon Valdez in my garage.

Sasquatch is that you?

The engine is what it is. it has plenty of power and tourque. I have 300k miles on 4 eco boost 3.5 motors, and i have never had a single engine problem. Not sure where this longevity issue is comming from. a few random forum posters out of literally millions of motors does not indicate a problem.

It is a truck built with few compromises to be a great factory off roader. Checking the oil and messy oil changes are part of the fun of owning a truck like this, and you need to adapt.

In all seriousness....have you been to the Raptor assault? most of your issues are explained and corrected with just a little learning on your part. use the truck for what it is, not for what you think it should be and your experience will so much better.

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well said en4ser! Sounds as 7six2 just misses his Titan. I agree with swimm he should buy an older Titan and get on with his life. The Rap is just too technical for his use.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Careful... you are treading on thin ice. You will get very little support here in any critical opinion of the Raptor.

The details you describe and there are other issues as well that bother some and not others, can be summarized as a lack of “refinement”.

I think the price if the Raptor is the root cause. People have certain expectations of vehicles in the $70-80k range, and what is missing with the Raptor is “refinement”.

This is the compounded research, testing, analysis, adjustments, programming tweaks, and customer feedback that leads to ironing out these irritating issues. Ford is not doing this at the level of other $70k manufacturers. Please note that the Platinum and Limited F150s are in this price range as well... and it’s the highest volume vehicle sold. Refinement should be unquestioned at this point... but no.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Promise I'm not sasquatch or any of his reincarnations. LOL.

Forscan and Fumotumo valve are in my future once I quit buying fishing/hunting stuff.

The tune would be fun but is a no-go while under warranty.

I keep tire pressure at 36 and regularly switch off the traction control.

Not blasting the drive modes for doing what they're supposed to, just saying each is so specific and doesn't cover what I want it to do. How about a user customizable setting? Then I could leave it in my setting 95% of the time and only toggle 4WD.

Have had thoughts about trading in already but not for a used truck. My wife and son love the Raptor and I do intend to stick with with it at least until warranty is up. I love how I can go thrash it around at the beach or national forest then drive home in comfort and luxury. Just not fond of the nannies or motor

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Careful... you are treading on thin ice. You will get very little support here in any critical opinion of the Raptor.

The details you describe and there are other issues as well that bother some and not others, can be summarized as a lack of “refinement”.

I think the price if the Raptor is the root cause. People have certain expectations of vehicles in the $70-80k range, and what is missing with the Raptor is “refinement”.

This is the compounded research, testing, analysis, adjustments, programming tweaks, and customer feedback that leads to ironing out these irritating issues. Ford is not doing this at the level of other $70k manufacturers. Please note that the Platinum and Limited F150s are in this price range as well... and it’s the highest volume vehicle sold. Refinement should be unquestioned at this point... but no.

Here is where your rebuttal is flawed. Not all the Raptors have these issues. I realize you had issues. Not discounting that one bit. But I will guarantee you there are many times more Raptors with no issues that ones with. And if you look deeper many threads have been started here by TROLLS bashing the Raptor. Like the old Eagles song "Dirty Laundry" alludes, that's what gets the attention.

Sam

Supergumby5000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like buyers remorse.

Your old Titan and the Raptor are definitely different trucks. Maybe it would have made more sense to buy a less loaded option or a used v8.

Just some general comments:
-Any new truck you buy will be expensive in comparison to a 12 year old titan. Truck prices in general are getting crazy and raptors definitely arent on the cheap end of the spectrum.
-Drive modes/auto start/auto stop/tailgate/etc - Like I said, maybe a less outfitted raptor would have been a better choice for you. You dont need to use the drive modes if you dont want to, and there are plenty of aftermarket options that can help with the differences between and NA motor and a turbo based powerplant.

If its that bad, do yourself a favor and find an old titan. I'm sure your wallet would appreciate it.

the biggest complaint I have with my raptor at the moment is the red steering wheel stripe is already looking a little rough. I buy a new truck every 3 years and I've had trucks from all manufacturers. Each and every one of them has had flaws from the get go. I'll take a dirty red stripe over the other issues I've had in a heartbeat.