I do not "feel" the speed in my Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I drove 18-wheelers for 6 years. Still remember doing 90MPH on Texas road on my rig. So I see no issues doing 100+ if the road is empty.

And YOU sir are the type of guys I would use to get outta speeding tickets in my vette/motorcycle which are both BUILT for that shit. I’d get pulled over doing 90 in my vette, & my retort to the LEO “listen I know I’m speeding but the car is made for it & lemme ask you this, what’s safer, the 18 wheeler carrying 80k lbs gross doing 80, or my 3100 lb race car w/ 6 piston brakes doing 90? Better yet. You stand in the middle of the road w/ a dump truck doing the speed limit & my motorcycle doing 90 we’ll both stop @ the same point- which one you feel safer barreling down on ya?”

the answer is obvious. 18 wheelers DONT stop from 100 - they slide. You know this. I’m not saying I wouldn’t be chugging along @ 80+ too on an empty highway if I was driving a rig- but, “there’s a tool for every job” and a big 1/2 ton offroad truck, or a friggin 18 wheeler for that matter, is not the right tool for doing any kinda speed excess of the limit on a public roadway

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
sorry....you don't "accidentally" go 125.

I did the 1,000 mile drive between Denver and STL.....600 of that is wide open plains of Kansas. Even with no traffic and just cruising along, you have to work to get above 100mph.

That being said.....while I did not hit 125, I did go 100+ for long stretches of road. The truck is very stable at speed. Not anywhere near the any of the audi's I have owned in the past, but very stable.

yeah sure stable @ speed in a straight line on smooth tarmac, start hitting some undulations in the road- “pavement whoops” if you will- & better hope it doesn’t start getting unsettled, zero chance you can recover it.

wish there was a “face slap” emoji on this forum for the poster who said “yeah it’s a wide track truck w/ offroad suspension feels great at speed” Jesus! Wow! That suspension is exactly what’s gonna start to get you in trouble @ 100+

then throw in a scenario where you may have to swerve or panic brake in the raptor @ that speed? Nice knowin ya, or anyone else in the immediate vicinity.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah sure stable @ speed in a straight line on smooth tarmac, start hitting some undulations in the road- “pavement whoops” if you will- & better hope it doesn’t start getting unsettled, zero chance you can recover it.

wish there was a “face slap” emoji on this forum for the poster who said “yeah it’s a wide track truck w/ offroad suspension feels great at speed” Jesus! Wow! That suspension is exactly what’s gonna start to get you in trouble @ 100+

then throw in a scenario where you may have to swerve or panic brake in the raptor @ that speed? Nice knowin ya, or anyone else in the immediate vicinity.
Well the guy did say his Raptor had a wider track and STIFFER suspension than a normal 1/2 ton so who knows what he’s smoking.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And YOU sir are the type of guys I would use to get outta speeding tickets in my vette/motorcycle which are both BUILT for that shit. I’d get pulled over doing 90 in my vette, & my retort to the LEO “listen I know I’m speeding but the car is made for it & lemme ask you this, what’s safer, the 18 wheeler carrying 80k lbs gross doing 80, or my 3100 lb race car w/ 6 piston brakes doing 90? Better yet. You stand in the middle of the road w/ a dump truck doing the speed limit & my motorcycle doing 90 we’ll both stop @ the same point- which one you feel safer barreling down on ya?”

the answer is obvious. 18 wheelers DONT stop from 100 - they slide. You know this. I’m not saying I wouldn’t be chugging along @ 80+ too on an empty highway if I was driving a rig- but, “there’s a tool for every job” and a big 1/2 ton offroad truck, or a friggin 18 wheeler for that matter, is not the right tool for doing any kinda speed excess of the limit on a public roadway

Yeah, you’re dead nuts accurate on this one. I wouldn’t want to do anything over 85+ in a rig, and even then that’s really, really, pushing it.

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the guy did say his Raptor had a wider track and STIFFER suspension than a normal 1/2 ton so who knows what he’s smoking.

An OEM Fox 3.0 is stiffer at different sections of travel than a strut from a half ton with 32" pizza cutters on 20s. At the top, arguably its a similar rate without progressive springs.

Why are you so afraid of triple digits in a 5500lb vehicle? If you're afraid of the energy transfer in a crash, 18 wheelers and tri-axles shouldn't be allowed on highways, yet I'm sure you've been passed by one doing 75.