Hybrid Volant CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
Since I was unhappy with the bellowing and buffeting noises emanating from my Volant CAI, I set to modifying it a bit this afternoon. There's certainly no rocket science involved here. My original plan was to use a 4" to 3.5" silicone reducer and cut the Volant intake down, however, there are two hoses that are moved from the factory intake silencer and plumbed into the Volant intake tube. Since I was reinstalling the factory intake silencer, I decided it would be better to reuse the factory intake tube and route the two hoses back to the factory positions. Here is what I ended up with... the Volant CAI box and high flow filter, then factory parts after the MAF sensor housing.

HybridVolantCAI.jpg

From a looks perspective, I would've preferred to run the smooth Volant intake tube but it would've looked hokey if I plugged the holes on either the intake tube or the silencer. Plus, since I didn't cut the tube, I could sell it to someone who wants to run a K&N panel filter and remove the factory intake silencer to get more sound.

Now for the results. Making these changes really smoothed out the tone. The hollow, buffeting noise is nearly gone. Now it just has a nice, aggressive, smooth tone under hard throttle. I think most of the sound now is coming from the air being rapidly drawn into the mouth of the box and filter. It definitely hasn't lost any noticeable power and it still has a great sound under WOT. This is definitely the best compromise of power, aesthetics, and sound that I've come up with for this intake. Its a good solution for anyone that orders this intake but ends up thinking the resonance and noise is a bit much.

Last edited:

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
So this worries me because of my plan to remove the stock air intake tube and replace it with a straight shot flex hose. I want to keep my stock intake box. do you think i will have some buffeting noise problems?

Batman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. At least now I know, that I can go one of two ways with this CAI. Plus if I go your route I can sell the tube and make up some money for the CAI. Good Job Ice!!!!!!

OP
OP
iceman302

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
So this worries me because of my plan to remove the stock air intake tube and replace it with a straight shot flex hose. I want to keep my stock intake box. do you think i will have some buffeting noise problems?

No. I think most of the noise is from the Volant box and filter. If you retain the stock airbox and silencer, you shouldn't have any unsettling noise.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
No. I think most of the noise is from the Volant box and filter. If you retain the stock airbox and silencer, you shouldn't have any unsettling noise.

wanna sell me the volant intake tube I wanna see if I can fit it to my 5.4 air box to the intake manifold.

OP
OP
iceman302

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
wanna sell me the volant intake tube I wanna see if I can fit it to my 5.4 air box to the intake manifold.

No problem. I assume you want the couplers and clamps too. Do you know the diameter of the airbox and intake? The tube is 3.5". PM me an offer.

fshol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the hoses are not smooth on the inside, you will create more friction losses and a turbulent flow instead of a laminar flow. Both effects will reduce the amount of air that goes through, which is probably not what you want.

OP
OP
iceman302

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
When the hoses are not smooth on the inside, you will create more friction losses and a turbulent flow instead of a laminar flow. Both effects will reduce the amount of air that goes through, which is probably not what you want.

I'm sure Ford knew what they were doing when they designed the intake tube. Besides, most of the stock tube is smooth on the inside and its a larger diameter. You could also argue that the ridges in the stock tube promote atomization and better power. It can go both ways. Worst case, the stock tube costs me a couple horsepower. Its not a race car. I'm far happier with the lack of unsettling noise from the intake.