How much tranny fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nsdq3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I took my own transmission fluid to an oil change place to use their machine, how much would I need to bring. I know the specs say 13.2 quarts, but would I need that much? Does the machine get the tranny bone dry?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am good on the diffs, engine and transfer case, just don't have much experience with automatic transmissions

TargetBow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had mine serviced at the dealer who used a BG machine to do the flush/replacement and I supplied them with 18qrts of Amsoil ATF and after the service was over they returned the unused fluid back to me which only was about a quart, looking at the markings on the 1 gallon container they returned, it is just under the quart line on the container. So I am not sure if you would have enough if you just supplied 17qrts. I am sure my dealer may have wasted some but to be safe I would supply them with 18qts
That's my personal experience with the transfer fluid flush/replacement.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will need at least 18 quarts for a flush with a Machine, but I would be leery of a quick lube place doing the flush unless they have the correct machine, not all flush machines work like the one at the local dealership and not all quick lube "technicians" are actual technicians either. I highly recommend having your local dealer perform that flush, it may cost more, but the peace of mind is well worth it.

OP
OP
nsdq3

nsdq3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks Chris, good advice. Truck only has 1800 miles on it, what is a good point to make the swap?